• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New style TR20 isn't waterproof?

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I received a new TR20 from Amazon last night and after charging the battery took it on a night hike I'd been planning for a few weeks. Light is absolutely awesome, very bright with great tint and excellent throw while still being useful up close.

Only issue is that it doesn't seem to be waterproof to the standard listed on the box? I was using the light clipped to my belt during a pool crossing. Total depth is right at belly button height so light was submerged in maybe 4-5 inches of still water for a minute or so. Looking at the IPX8 ratings this should have been well within the acceptable specs but shortly after I left the water the light turned off and would not turn on for a few minutes. Once it did turn on the light was stuck in high mode and would randomly move to strobe/flash even without pressing the switches. Luckily I had my R1 as backup so I was able to use that for the remainder of the hike. I've done this same crossing with the R1 as well as an older Zebralight H600 MkII several times with no issue. When I got home I found the TR20 lens was fogged and the barrel had quite a bit of water inside.

I'm planning to just return the light to Amazon as I can order a replacement light without waiting. My question, was this a fluke or is the newer style TR20 with the bezeled head/body connection not longer waterproof? The TR20 is the perfect light for my use and I'd prefer to just order another one but if it's not waterproof as per the specs I'll have to get something else with a better track record for reliability.

9280d0ec-59db-441e-80dc-dd26bf62be3f.jpg

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Since I didn't get a response here I delved a little deeper into the amazon reviews. Looks like this is not an isolated problem. Anyone considering this light should be aware it is only mildly water resistant. Probably good for misting or light contact only, do not submerge!

I will be looking at other options, thanks.

rofisbenny

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am very sorry, late reply.
I think this must have been a problem, I am very sorry.
The flashlight needs to be covered in advance before immersing it in the middle, and tighten the lid.
After our test, the depth of 2 meters underwater will not enter the water.
There is a problem with this flashlight. Please ask the seller to exchange the TR20 flashlight for you. I hope you test it again.
wait your final result.
Thank you.

Since I didn't get a response here I delved a little deeper into the amazon reviews. Looks like this is not an isolated problem. Anyone considering this light should be aware it is only mildly water resistant. Probably good for misting or light contact only, do not submerge!

I will be looking at other options, thanks.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Thanks for the response.

I wasn't able to find another light that met my needs as well as the TR20 (throw and brightness of medium setting) so I ordered a replacement and received it today. Just so I'm clear, the light should be waterproof as long as the tailcap is tight and the charging port cover is correctly installed? Can the head be rotated under water?

rofisbenny

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
You need to carefully cover the charging port!
It can be rotated in the water.
In the end we still recommend you use the R3 flashlight, it will be better.
TR20 is our product two years ago, R3 is the latest model, we have given a lot of optimization.

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't able to find another light that met my needs as well as the TR20 (throw and brightness of medium setting) so I ordered a replacement and received it today. Just so I'm clear, the light should be waterproof as long as the tailcap is tight and the charging port cover is correctly installed? Can the head be rotated under water?

rofisbenny

Newly Enlightened
If you often use a flashlight underwater, we hope that you will purchase a professional diving flashlight, as the flashlight components will wear out over time and performance will be relatively weak.
Our flashlights are waterproof, but they are short-lived and are not recommended for long-term use underwater.