McClicky switch issues - does not click on

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I replaced the med press boot with hard press boot in the McClicky and now it does not work with any switch, the new hard one or the older medium press.

When clicked, it works like Surefire Z41 switch in the instant-on mode. As soon as you release it, it's off. It does not click-on, that is it clicks and makes the clicky sound but as soon as released, it's off.

I put back the older boot that came with it to no avail. What's going on with it? Something damaged?

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
What kind of flashlight are we talking about? Have you tried tightening the switch? If it is something like a Surefire Z41 that has been modified with an Oveready/McClicky kit, just tighten the ring from inside of the tailcap with a pair of needle nosed pliers. If it is like a Malkoff MD2 tailcap where the switch threads directly into the tailcap, just snug up the switch with a pair of needle nosed pliers after you remove the switch boot. Otherwise, if the switch has seen a lot of use, it might be dirty, worn out, or broken. You might try taking the switch out of the tailcap and spray inside of it with some electrical contact cleaner.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sprayed it with an electrical parts cleaner and it started working again. I tried the tightening it as tight as possible before and it didn't work. I think I might have gotten oil on it somehow, I lubed the tailcap threads - or the body part threads and somehow the oil got inside.

Everything is working again.