New daily pocket light

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
Need a new slim light to replace my broken Protac 2aaa.

I figured i would use this handy checklist. basically looking for a:

slim (aa,aaa)
pocket clip
tail switch
200+ lumen
strobe
durable
rechargable (maybe)

lights I an considering (in no particular order):

Streamlight Stylus Pro usb
Streamlight Microstream usb
Fenix LD12
Fenix RC05 SE
klarus XT1A

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA sized cells common to most stores.
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (needs to be able to open several beer bottles weekly).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

EDC, its going to be in my pocket or next to my car keys at home.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
Olight I3T? It is 180 lumens (not quite as much as you want) but runs on 1 AAA battery,
Has a tail switch, IPX8, 5 year warranty, very good quality.
If you don't mind other batteries other than AA, AAA, there is the Olight S1R (900 lumens, very small and slim, RCR123A battery that recharged through the tailcap) and the Nitecore EC11 (900 lumens, RCR123A battery or 18350)
These lights only have a side switch though.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I see the rc05 se on your list which means you probably saw one at an rei becuase I believe they are obly available through them. I can say I recommend mine. Forward clickie tail switch while still allowing tail standing. Easy to change modes with the side button and pretty good mode spacing to me. The magnetic recharging is why I bought it. Its baisically a 2017 ld12 with that feature. It'll charge any 14500 that fits but I just use the standard one it came with. It does require the special cable with the magnetic port and micro usb but the battery can also be recharged on regualar li ion chargers. The clip works and is reversible but its not deep carry if that matters and is by far the weakest part of the light. No moonlight modes and a cool white but clean tint. Neither of those things mattered for what I use it for. Overall I think its a pretty solid light with a cool magnetic rechargeing feature.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight microstream USB is my backup light I carry and it runs a long time on a charge. Both lumen modes are perfect. It has one of the best tints of any of my lights.

Only down side side is it takes a while to charge. Does not work with aaa but functions perfect with a 10440 cell. The 10440 just won't in light charge. If I think I will use it a bunch I'll bring a spare 10440 but I've never needed it.

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
Bushcrafter,

I cant remember what i didn't like about the i3t when i first looked it up, may have been the output but im not sure now. I have an s1r and i like it but i got used to the slim 2aaa in my pocket next to my knife, and the tail switch is a must for me. same goes for the EC11 i guess. I might still pick up an i3t just because every time i see it i like it more, and its cheap.

Repsol600rr,

First off, you are the bike that got me into riding back in 06' lol. they have the RC05 SE on a fenix online store that im not sure im allowed to share on this forum, but they did say it was the REI special edition. this is probably the light i will end up with, its a shame the clip sucks, that was the only thing holding me back from buying. but i feel like it checks all other boxes for me as most magnet charge lights charge at the rear where that deal breaker tail switch goes...

Borris,

Im 99% sure i will end up with another microstream in the near future. i have had and gifted at least 15 of these lights and everyone loves them. never used the USB version but maybe its time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, im getting sick of lugging this pd35tac around..

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Yeah mines a 13 600rr. Only had it availble in the states for that 1 year though I think they had it again in other markets. Anyway yeah I didnt realize what the clip was like until after I bought it. It for sure could have been done better. It carries fine clipped to a cargo pocket or something like that. It sticks out too far for me to carry it anywhere else for me personally but seeing as you carry a pd35 tac it most likely sticks out less than that and is obviously smaller and lighter. Its been secure enough for me. You cant bend it too much tighter becuase of the pointy part you can see in the pics but it hasnt fallen out on me yet. I guess it all depends on how you want to carry it. Also the clicky is a bit stiff becuase its not sticking out of the back but this allows the tailstanding so I have no issue with it at all. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
I had a second hand 05' that someone low sided and gave up on. so i bought it and ordered the repsol fairings the same day, along with a chain & sprocket kit, new rearsets and levers from vortex if i remember correctly and a pc3. i was on the fence at the time but people loved it at the meets so... then i got an offer i couldnt refuse so i jumped to an 07' zx6r and been a kawi fan ever since.

About the light i just ordered the Klarus, and both fenix lights on my list. i figure ill just try them all and gift the others to friends.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Thats a great way to do it, and a bit of a cpf motto. If someone presents 2 options a chorus of "get both" is quite common. Or more in this case. Welcome to the club.

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
Repsol,

HA! I just got them both! WOW is the Klarus bright for a 14500. it does get hot after like 10 seconds on high though. also a little bigger than what i was expecting out of a AA. Love the LD12 but ive been a fenix fanboy since the tk11 so i might be bias.

Last edited:

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
LetThereBeLight,

That is a nice little light but i dont see it holding up to too many beer bottles. I feel like i should have been more honest with you guys, what i really need is a bottle opener that will also flash some light lol. I quit smoking years ago so i never carry a lighter anymore.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
I have a Fenix LD12 which is a nice quality light with multiple modes and can use NiMH or Li-on rechargeables, although the max lumens without li-on is 150.

Another potential light if you are looking for a slim AA is the Eagletac D25A.

wolfman211

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix LD12 which is a nice quality light with multiple modes and can use NiMH or Li-on rechargeables, although the max lumens without li-on is 150.

Another potential light if you are looking for a slim AA is the Eagletac D25A.

Just picked up an LD12 and i love it, just what i wanted. that D25A is a nice looking light.

Sos24

Enlightened
Just picked up an LD12 and i love it, just what i wanted. that D25A is a nice looking light.

Glad to hear you are loving the LD12.

The D25A is the smallest AA I have had which is one thing I like it. The only con for me are no momentary. You can not use li-ion in it, but I use mostly NiMH for AA rechargeable.