Replacing HID bulbs on my 2003 Ford Focus SVT?

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
My 2003 Focus SVT was equipped from the factory with HID(s). I have never had a vehicle that is equipped from the factory with HID bulbs so I'd like to know if the bulbs age and put out less than they originally did like they do in the Halogen bulb world.

Even if not, I'd like to know if there are recommended bulbs to replace the existing ones with. Should I be pursuing only factory bulbs or is it like the halogen world where I have a few options to choose from?

Whatever I do, I'd be looking for drop in bulbs. No interest in changing ballasts or anything like that.

Thank you for your time in advance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
HID bulbs like the D2S bulbs your car takes lose significant intensity not with age (in calendar days...months...years) but with accumulated usage. There are bulbs available that give much better performance than the originals; right now the best D2S is this one.

With headlamps as old as yours, you'd want to check carefully to make sure the lenses are in picture-perfect, brand-new condition with no haze to them. If they have a minor amount of haze, you might be able to clear it for a reasonably long time using this technique.

And you'll definitely want to spend the time/money to make certain the headlamps are correctly and carefully aimed.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
& keep in mind, HID bulbs hate being restruck over and over, so if you do a lot of start/stop driving, that will take a much higher toll on them then running for long periods of time (I.e. Long highway driving)

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input an expansion on how intensity is lost and some options as far as bulbs. Could you all PLEASE point out some additional DS2 bulbs that meet or exceed the originals. This car is serving life as an interesting daily beater. :)

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for everyone's input an expansion on how intensity is lost and some options as far as bulbs. Could you all PLEASE point out some additional DS2 bulbs that meet or exceed the originals. This car is serving life as an interesting daily beater. :)

You wont find any better prices than the example provided by Virgil. If you diverge from a very reputable source and also lower price, your chances of buying a counterfeit bulb goes up exponentially. About 80% of bulbs sold over the internet are counterfeits, even Amazon. Another reputable source is www.HIDbulbsRus.com
It's likely if a couple thousand hours of use on your existing bulbs you are down about 30% of original light lumens output.

FIXED the spelling on the link

Last edited:

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
You wont find any better prices than the example provided by Virgil. If you diverge from a very reputable source and also lower price, your chances of buying a counterfeit bulb goes up exponentially. About 80% of bulbs sold over the internet are counterfeits, even Amazon. Another reputable source is www.HIDbibsRus.com
It's likely if a couple thousand hours of use on your existing bulbs you are down about 30% of original light lumens output.

Thanks but that's not what I meant. I was looking for few different examples of D2S bulbs that are still better than the originals not vendors to select from. I am good with Amazon especially since I have Prime. Appreciate all of the help so far.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks but that's not what I meant. I was looking for few different examples of D2S bulbs that are still better than the originals not vendors to select from.
You might still be able to find the Koito 3900K D2S capsules, but may not be able to find them easily.

I am good with Amazon especially since I have Prime.

Until Amazon is guaranteed free of counterfeits, you can have Amazon Prime, or Composite or Real or Imaginary and still run the risk of getting a counterfeit. There is a LOT of counterfeiting going on with bulbs.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
You might still be able to find the Koito 3900K D2S capsules, but may not be able to find them easily.

Until Amazon is guaranteed free of counterfeits, you can have Amazon Prime, or Composite or Real or Imaginary and still run the risk of getting a counterfeit. There is a LOT of counterfeiting going on with bulbs.

Lol, ok on the counterfeit. Again, I was just looking for other potential bulbs. I guess it's those bulbs or nothing....or the Koito's you mentioned.

Thanks!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the Osram and GE DS2 bulbs compare to the stockers?
At this point, replacing what you have with a new set of stock capsules will do you better than to wait to order any other set of capsules. Your exiting capsules are worn such that you don't really have the luxury of time (they may even be getting to the point where they can damage the ballasts). Pick a good set (one was already linked in Post #2), install them, get your lamps aimed, and drive on.

Last edited:

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
At this point, replacing what you have with a new set of stock capsules will do you better than to wait to order any other set of capsules. Your exiting capsules are worn such that you don't really have the luxury of time (they may even be getting to the point where they can damage the ballasts). Pick a good set (one was already linked in Post #2), install them, get your lamps aimed, and drive on.
Thanks!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I thought that was how to spell it and began looking around over there. How do the Osram and GE DS2 bulbs compare to the stockers?

Thanks.

They are all comparable, different car manufactures chose between Philips, Osram and GE as their OEM bulb supplier, all are basically equal and meet the same basic specs.