Cree XP-L2 or XP-G3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk amongst yourselves....

Not a dream list of wants, but between the two, which do you prefer and why.

ven

Flashaholic
I actually have 1 xp-l2 4000k and it is actually nice ,others i have had are horrid at best. Not keen on xp-g3 at all either, much rather have the good old xp-g2 by a long way. So my answer would be neither, i have avoided and will continue to do so,any lights with these LED's.

Zak

Enlightened
Those are both awful. The high-output 3535 of the day is the Samsung LH351D.

maukka

Enlightened
Neither. They're really bad.

edit: Zak is right. Samsung's LH351 series is pretty good. LH351C for example is similar or a bit better compared to the 219C. The bigger LH351D gives more output but is a bit less throwy.

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are terrible. If you insist on something from CREE XPL-HI will have the best tint and throw.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting Nichia with 100 CRI :p If still have to make a choice, then I'm for XM-L2, he will make a wider beam than XP-L, But only if it is more effective than the available ones XP-L and XP-G2 and will give a longer working time.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others, my only experience with these newer Cree emitters is horrid tint shift. Maybe there's a good bin out there somewhere though.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green and Greener
43588910354_f03cf1f08e_b.jpg

if you see a flip chip (XP-G3), RUN the other way, or the green halo will get you.

If you see an L led, run from the evenly yellow/green tint.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the emitters mentioned here won't fit in the HDS. I do have the HPL- Hi in a light of mine a triple- and while it's not perfect it has a good beam- the triple with a diffused optic might be why it's nice.
Between the two Hogo mentioned, I would go XPL2 for a wider hotspot.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Oh forgot, i have 2 xp-l2 as one is in the little sc53w. Its 4500k flavour, towards yellow but nothing in comparison to the sc5c mkII(more yellow than something very yellow!) which has gone!.

I still have the sc53w 4500k, its AA which is not a preference, nor the xp-l2.................but its OK and as long as its not used near any other clean beam. It can actually be quite nice at times on the eye.

The other xp-l2 4000k i have which is a mule, is nice on the eye, nothing like the "tint" of the sc5c mkII. This i love..................
yNtaTQ4l.jpg

ppnqXlTl.jpg

parametrek

Enlightened
Some of the emitters mentioned here won't fit in the HDS.

Hate to be the grammar nitpicker but your use of a plural there is incorrect. Only 1 emitter mentioned (XM-L2) won't fit.

To answer Hogo's question if I had to choose between those 2 I will instead wait for a 219B to go up for sale on the secondary market. No way would I ever pay $300 for a new light with bottom of the barrel LEDs.

markr6

Flashaholic
Green and Greener
43588910354_f03cf1f08e_b.jpg

if you see a flip chip (XP-G3), RUN the other way, or the green halo will get you.

If you see an L led, run from the evenly yellow/green tint.

Maybe it's my monitor, or eyes, but those G3s look good to me. Or is that just because the meanie greenie on the right makes them nice in comparison?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be your monitor, g3's look like emitters from a long while ago. I'm sure our eyes would adapt but they look like the nasty emitters in my old 4/7's

I used to be ok with those emitters until i experienced good emitters. That pic definitely shouldn't be used for a sales ad:shakehead

markr6

Flashaholic
I pulled this up on my iPhone S6 to compare...I gotta say it looks really good there too. Both nice and neutral :shrug:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on how you interpret the pic.
I can see good within the g3s but overall not so pretty. In real use they would probably be fine.

I can see some green in the non hicri g3 though

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the XP-L2 throwing off the white balance so the XP-G3 doesn't look so bad. Really its just the camera being unable to cope with both. In real life I'm sure they're both pretty bad. Every experience I've had with either the XP-L2 or XP-G3 (or really any other Cree based on that new larger-phosphor-layer platform, I think its called SC5?) has been unbearably bad. They're bright, no doubt about that, but they give up way too much color quality in order to gain that efficiency. My opinion? Its a hard 'no' from me.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer Hogo's question if I had to choose between those 2 I will instead wait for a 219B to go up for sale on the secondary market. No way would I ever pay $300 for a new light with bottom of the barrel LEDs.

+1. My HDS 219B 4000K R9050 and HDS 219B 4500K R9080 are both high quality tools. Breaking those HDS lights out is like using my Snap-On tools to fix my car or my LeGrand Mont Blanc pen to write a letter. First class, best in class products.

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
I have both and both of them are VERY BAD I MEAN TERRIBLY BAD STAY AWAY 1000000 MILES FROM THESE LITTLE NASTY LEDS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.