Nitecore HC30, what is 1 lumen like?

mickb

Enlightened
Gents looking to upgrade my little Hl23 Fenix 1x AA with a the HC30 but was worried about the lowest setting of the HC30. What is 1 lumen like for "inside a tent" ranges. also map use and book reading? The next setting up is a 70 lumens which I assume is a bit overkill.

I only ask as the Hl23 low setting is about 8 lumens which is what I am used to, and I am wondering what 1 lumen will be like...

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Answered by a friend, just used their light on 1 lumen, its really pushing the bounds of usefulness in my opinion. Maybe 20 year old users find it sufficient. Asked why they have a setting this low, was told its the moonlight function. I knew my blood pressure was going to rise but I asked anyway why a light needs a 'moonlight function', didn't we supercede moonlight with the first use of fire. Apparently this is a required function thee days, from searches the biggest uses are covert use( not bothering others) not ruining their night vision(for unspecified actual tasks), and most often using as a nightlight at home :D Good heavens guys the way you push this market in strange directions does my head in. So back to the drawing board finding a light with an actual useful low function. And again I extend my thanks to the moderators for not banning my outbursts lol.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Hey mickb- you ever try to go to the bathroom or adjust the thermostat in the middle of the night with a 15 or worse a 30 lumen low? Good luck reading the thermostat with the glare on your dark adapted eyes. I know it literally hurts my eyes. And tells your brain it's time to wake up.

Ever try to get ready in the morning while your spouse is trying to sleep?

Real moonlight would be adequate I suppose as long as your house doesn't have a roof over it that blocks the moonlight. Or as long as the moon stops going through cycles, and clouds stop getting in the way forever.

mickb

Enlightened
Hey mickb- you ever try to go to the bathroom or adjust the thermostat in the middle of the night with a 15 or worse a 30 lumen low? Good luck reading the thermostat with the glare on your dark adapted eyes. I know it literally hurts my eyes. And tells your brain it's time to wake up.

Ever try to get ready in the morning while your spouse is trying to sleep?

Real moonlight would be adequate I suppose as long as your house doesn't have a roof over it that blocks the moonlight. Or as long as the moon stops going through cycles, and clouds stop getting in the way forever.

Cant say I have used a high end IPX8 rated flashlight or headlamp for nightlight tasks actually. Again the different ends of the user market. For the record there a big difference between 70 and 1 lumens, or even 1 and 30 lumens. I found 8-13 lumens(e01) fine from a night vision point of view, including stepping over guys sleeping and other work purposes etc.

But I edited my post as I was too critical. Just the frustration you get when you find a light you like and it has a gap in power levels you don't like.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have an HC30. 1 lumen is ok around camp but not hiking or using edged tools with it. I like the HC30 for night bike riding because of the throw but prefer the multiple levels of my AT Wizard.

Blues

Enlightened
I also have the HC30. Great light, imho. Mostly used for nighttime walks with the dog in our woods, for which it excels. (See the bear before he sees you.)

The low setting is good for preserving night vision, map reading or tasks where anything bright would be a detriment to your own vision or disturbing someone else.

I have been very pleased with this light and its performance for the last year or two.

lonelyboy

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how HC30 1 lumen looks like but I have been using quite a lot of the Zebralight 0.3 lumen and 1 lumen setting.

The 1 lumen is very useful when I am setting up my camera and tripod in the dark and without affecting other photographers nearby. The 0.3 lumen is used when the camera is taking long exposure and I can still see the camera operational buttons when I am standing next to it, and without casting any light on the foreground of my photos.

For walking on the trail with my camera and tripod, I mainly use the 10 and 55 lumen setting on my Zebralight.