• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sigma Customs: Nova

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys, for those of you who avoid the Facebook scene, this is a new light I've been working on. I have a few reservation slots left if anyone is interested. I will be starting with the straight tailed version pictured below. Please PM me with an email address for contact and your options if you are interested. This light will be available with either a 14500 configuration using the programmable LD-A4 (3A) constant current driver, or the AA/14500 Reylight driver. As usual, payment is not due until a light is close to ready to ship.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AbfeEdhDxtJ7a2PVY_tA0navOs6ESLg6WyduDfFaPyE/edit?usp=sharing

Pricing: $515 for Titanium, $465 for Mn-Bronze

Design Goal,
-Robust design
-Simple, reliable UI,
-Good clip options
-Upgradeable design
-14500 sized (possible to convert to AA/14500 as drivers become available)
-Good reflector, the McR-18S is quite compact but very capable.

Intro,
The Nova is a 14500 light meant to be capable in both primary and backup EDC roles. The choice of 14500 cells is due to it being the best of the
smaller cells currently, equal or better capacity than most 16340s, and better current capability. The Nova will be tuned with the purple Efest 650mAh 14500s in mind. Another benefit of using the 14500 size, is that the light, in particular the battery pack, can be made a little longer for good grip, but much slimmer. The OD of the body is only about a half millimeter larger than the typical 18350s, but durability is still present with thick walls. The 1" head is threaded in 3/4-28 instead of 7/8-28 to allow for the deeper fins for heat dissipation, more thermal mass around the fins, but still accommodate the excellent McR-18S reflector for a wide spilled beam with good throw, working well from close to long range.
Like all my lights, this light is entirely manually machined.

Function,
The closest relative for this light functionally would be the McGizmo piston-drive lights, except modes are handled by the driver, and instead of the complicated secondary piston around the battery, a Peak SS momentary switch is installed in the tail of the light, and acts as the piston instead, moving the battery into contact with both the switch contact and driver positive contact. With the light twisted into the off position the Peak momentary switch can be actuated to provide light for however long the switch is depressed, and when it is release it shuts off, so accidentally latching into ON like with a clicky switch, is not possible here. For constant ON, the light functions as a twisty with the momentary switch being a fixed contact once the light is tightened to complete the circuit. Another feature to be implemented that is not shown in the below proof of concept, is a electrically isolated wave spring to provide enough pressure against the battery to keep it from rattling along the length of the tube in the OFF position, as well as keep the battery from slamming into the rear switch if dropped while off.
Since the primary driver for the 14500 setup is programmable (LD-A4), the light can be set with mode memory so that rear switch can be used as a momentary and mode switching mechanism and twisty for constant on, or no-memory so that light functions as a twisty with a momentary option.

Grip,
My signature Acme grip will be used on these lights, as in the pictures. This turned out to be grippier and more aesthetically pleasing than the originally rendered knurl pattern.

Clip,
For the straight tailed version as pictured below, the excellent Darksucks Ti Eiger clip will be used as it is retained very securely by the switch, is low profile, and carries deeply. Other clips meant for use with the Peak momentary switch should fit as well such as the OR Logan clip.

For the flared tailed version the most likely clip option will be the OR SS clip.

Changelog:
v.1--Pictured below, two piece head, 3 fins
v.2--One piece head, 4 fins, small dimension adjustments

DrV7alk.jpg

Darksucks Ti Eiger clip shown installed.
RjTEqA4.jpg

JjPECgh.jpg

Prototype version, final version will have a single piece head.
XVckMWe.jpg

Next to the compact AA Maratac
vWYu0G2.jpg
UiKBxBY.jpg

Flared tail on top, straight tail on bottom. Knurling will not be used on this light at this time. Both configurations use the same Peak momentary switch
qkcWpB6.png

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That's a beautiful design and I love the simple twisty/momentary interface. Sadly it's a bit too expensive for me right now. Best of luck with the sale run, though I'm sure you won't have trouble selling these.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, this size range is under-serviced due to the lack of drivers, but even as 14500 only it is still a great platform.

Gunga, the LD-A4 installed in the photo is 17mm so the diameter is a not problem. Biggest thing is that the Reylight driver is stacked so it is taller, this will be tackled by extending the pill for it to be the same height as the LD-A4 setup with a button, so about 2mm extra since the Reylight contact is pretty much flat.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks chip.

Development update, found a suitable spring I can readily buy for a battery carrier for the Nova. The battery carrier consists of a spring trimmed to appropriate length and an acetal carrier plate with a recess for the closed spring end. This design component provides several functions, it puts constant upward pressure on the battery, preventing annoying battery rattle, consistent momentary activation by eliminating battery travel during repeat actuations of the plunger, and cushioning the battery from the momentary plunger during a drop. The carrier also lifts the battery clear of the lip of the pack so it can be grabbed and changed easily.

o739WT6.jpg
I047yJ8.jpg
34Y2ZxJ.jpg
5s3S4xw.jpg
ZUYjeN4.jpg

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the primary driver for the 14500 setup is programmable (LD-A4), the light can be set with mode memory so that rear switch can be used as a momentary and mode switching mechanism and twisty for constant on, or no-memory so that light functions as a twisty with a momentary option.

1. Clarifying, if set to "no-memory"... the momentary function can still change modes if programmed to say, L-M-H?

2. The Reylight driver is programmable and can run both on AA and 14500?

:)

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Clarifying, if set to "no-memory"... the momentary function can still change modes if programmed to say, L-M-H?

2. The Reylight driver is programmable and can run both on AA and 14500?

:)

That is a use-case example. The momentary switch is purely mechanical and functions the same either way, what I was getting at is that with mode memory enabled, you could select a mode with the switch and then twist the light for on, rather just twisting on/off for mode switching.

The Reylight driver is AA/14500, but NOT programmable. The v3 boards can have memory turned on and off, but that is it.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a use-case example. The momentary switch is purely mechanical and functions the same either way, what I was getting at is that with mode memory enabled, you could select a mode with the switch and then twist the light for on, rather just twisting on/off for mode switching.

The Reylight driver is AA/14500, but NOT programmable. The v3 boards can have memory turned on and off, but that is it.
Clear. Thanks.

Re: Reylight, can the mode memory be changed by user easily? What is the default mode sequence?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clear. Thanks.

Re: Reylight, can the mode memory be changed by user easily? What is the default mode sequence?
Just 8 taps to switch between memory and no-memory. Mode sequence is always Ml-L-M-H.

Added one last component to the Nova design, a brass contact plate to the carrier assembly. This is fitted into the acetal carrier plate and distributes force across the whole terminal of the cell instead of denting it as the plunger alone is prone to doing.

gHaQz4S.jpg
T6PsebS.jpg