Muyshondt Mk III S2

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Who has received one? Any problems with the fit-up or operation? I'm ready to jump in to add to my collection, but want to make sure there have been no snafus with this latest iteration. I am quite happy with my S1 version--believe it is the best EDC I know of for my needs--but think maybe I should buy my first copper and take advantage of the latest design.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Who has received one? Any problems with the fit-up or operation? I'm ready to jump in to add to my collection, but want to make sure there have been no snafus with this latest iteration. I am quite happy with my S1 version--believe it is the best EDC I know of for my needs--but think maybe I should buy my first copper and take advantage of the latest design.

I don't have on but I would also be interested in someone's take on the new design as well. It doesn't seem like any of the outputs were upgraded but I could be wrong...

craniotes

Newly Enlightened
I received mine a couple of days ago and the build quality is beyond reproach, much as is the case with my Maus and Beagle. As far as I know the specs remain the same as the S1 – indeed, the website states as much – though it's worth noting that the "light engine" was renamed "Calibre 515". Is this different than the driver used in the S1? I can't say, but the tint and beam profile are damn near perfect to my eyes. As for runtimes, it's still too early in the game for me to comment on, but I have no reason to believe that they're any different from the previous generation. Oh, yeah, and the clicky is so satisfying to use that it should be illegal.

Long story short: If you loved the S1, you're gonna love the S2. For my part, I'm properly chuffed with my acquisition and it's my new go-to daily EDC.

Regards,
Adam

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also interested to know if anything other than the body actually changed. I can't image that the body would significantly influence the flashlight's use.

craniotes

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm just gonna fanboi here a bit...

Background: I don't post a lot – obviously – but I've been in the game for a while, so it goes without saying that I've got a couple of flame-throwers in the arsenal. As such, I'm sure you can understand why I might've been ever so slightly skeptical about a 160 lumen piece that costs, well, as much as this guy does. Sure, I already owned a Maus (keychain: so, fine, 60 lumens werks), as well as a Beagle (okay, this one is pretty much perfect, but whatever), so I was already on the Muyshondt train, but the one thing missing from the collection was an Aeon. Yes, I could've gone for a Flieger if I was looking for the ne plus ultra from the contemporary Muyshondt collection, but I've read/seen/met too many articles/beamshots/folks with Aeon Mk IIIs that sang its praises, that I figured it was time to take the plunge.

Well...

I just got a chance to put it through its paces out at my country house, and HOT DAMN! It's color rendering is spot on, which, duh (Mushyondt), but it's the throw positively floored me. For such a tiny light it was amazing to see just how far this light effectively illuminated my property. Now, sure, I know that lumens don't actually translate into real-world, er, illumination, but DANG, this thing's performance positively blew me out of the water.

Anyway, as far as I can tell the Aeon Mk. III S2 is pretty much just an aesthetic "upgrade" (quotes, because you might prefer the knurling), but regardless of which version you have, it's one helluva light and my new favorite carry.

Regards,
Adam

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=PT Serif, Big Caslon, Bodoni MT, Georgia, serif]According the the website....

[/FONT]

• Some tweaks have been made to the tailcap area, inside and out.
  • The Mk. III Light Engine has been replaced with the Calibre 515, which changes how the light engine handles light intensity control internally.
I echo everything Craniotes said about the tint, CRI, and throw. My clicky is a little harder to activate than I anticipated, however, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Is yours the same Craniotes? I'd love to hear from someone that has the Mk. III and the Mk. III S2 and could give us a hands on comparison.

I too have the Maus and the Beagle. As much as I love both of them, this is my new EDC.

Incidentally, I have the relic copper S2 I'm going to be selling soon: I've got a polished one coming instead. I'm guessing you would want to buy a new one but if you want the relic model at a discount let me know.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Yes, please, let's hear from someone with the new S2 who also has experience with the S1.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I would also be grateful to hear opinions about the weight of copper vs. titanium. Will I notice the difference in a light this small?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you would. The copper S2 is 1.9 ounces with the battery in it. The titanium 1.5 ounces. My copper Maus is 1.4 ounces and I can't tell the difference between it and my S2.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to hear about anyone with S1 and S2 experience. The aluminium S1 is starting to look justifiable.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I got my copper S2 about a week ago. It's replaced my aluminum S1 as my EDC: both are easy to carry in my pocket, nice mix of 3 levels, great beam and tint, etc. Plus the thing is just beautifully made, a pleasure to admire. Unlike a lot of people, I actually prefer the CR2 power. Plenty of juice for most of my needs and its size allows for small dimensions of the S2. I buy maybe 6 batteries every couple years on the internet, carry a spare in my briefcase, and never worry about availability. (When I head outside for some specific activity, I will often take my HDS rotary for more power and flexibility.)
If money is an issue, I would consider the aluminum S1. I have not noticed any difference in performance compared with the S2.

And, no, I don't work for Enrique.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Do you notice any change to the tail cap area and does the clicky feel the same?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I am doing a run test on medium mode, 15 lumens. It has been going for 15 hours and is still within what I would consider regulation. However, I don't have a light meter so I am just eyeballing it. Probably won't conclude until tomorrow. I'll do a test on high next.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I am doing a run test on medium mode, 15 lumens. It has been going for 15 hours and is still within what I would consider regulation. However, I don't have a light meter so I am just eyeballing it. Probably won't conclude until tomorrow. I'll do a test on high next.

Thanks, Beard. What was the final result? Would love to see the results for your test on high, also.

Anybody know how long an HDS lasts on 15 lumens?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
It looks like somewhere a little after 13 hours it starts a slow arc downwards. At about 16 hours it looks to have lost about 25%? At about 18 hours it's maybe 50% power? I'm at 21 hours currently. It's hard to eyeball it without any equipment but I have two Aeons so I've just been comparing them side by side. It is still higher than the 1 Lumen low, but I'm not sure how much higher. Maybe it's putting out 4 lumens? I'll finish the test tonight and run it until it dies or drops to low mode.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
At 23 hours and 52 minutes I turned the light off. The light coming out looked just a tad higher than the low mode so I wanted to start it in low mode and cycle up to medium mode to verify the difference. The light wouldn't turn back on. I waited about 30 mins, turned it back on, and medium mode is just a little higher still. I'm going to conclude the test and do a test on high mode tomorrow. The medium test was done with a brand new Muyshondt cr2 cell and I'll use a new Mushondt cell for the high test as well.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Runtime on high: Light output seemed to hold steady until about the 27 minute mark where it lost maybe 25% of the original brightness?

It seemed to roughly hold that output level until about the 40 minute mark at which point heat generated from the light significantly dropped and the light output seemed to be about 50% brightness of original.

By around the 45 minute mark the light output seemed about twice as bright as the medium mode.

At 50 minutes, it was barley brighter than the medium mode.

At about one hour the light output was the same as the medium mode.

I noticed around one hour and 17 minutes in, the light output was lower than the medium mode.

And at an hour and 30 minutes the output was the same as the low mode.

Finally, when I checked again at the two hour mark, light output dropped to below one lumen and the resting voltage was .73

These are rough guesses since I lack any testing equipment but maybe soon I will use these as a benchmark to run another test and see if they match up again.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
Havn't been on here in ages... then i saw this thread.... might be time to upgrade my Aeon i've carried on my keys for ~8 years+

DAAC7B51-8B81-49EC-84C5-3945FCE724D3_zps4danmtc8.jpg