1w green vs 7w blue?

Sherako

Newly Enlightened
Looking for highest visability, comparing sanwu striker 7w blue vs thor labs 1w green

The green is actually cheaper by a littleeee bit

Sherako

Newly Enlightened
Oh yea the reason for this thread is because on youtube the thor actually looks a lot less than the striker but it could just be difference in cameras, it makes sense for 1w green to be brighter but just making sure with whoever responds lol

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
I have a 7-watt blue laser and it's a monster of a burner! But be aware that with a sanwu striker 7w blue laser the beam will not be round but more of a rectangle that gets wider the further it away it is so up in the sky at night it will look like a narrow fan going up, A sanwu 3.3x beam expander will help a lot with that but the beam leaves the laser wider out of the beam expander and looks narrower as it goes up. Get a good pair of laser safety glasses!

Here's a review of that laser...

I don't know anything about the thor green laser.

One day I'll get a 1.5-watt green laser...

Beam...

Dot...

Last edited:

wizardg

Newly Enlightened
Get the 1 watt green. Unless you can get the 7W blue with corrective optics the divergence of that diode is terrible.

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you understand, Neither the thor H2 or M2 are made by Thor labs.

I'm pretty sure those "Thor" lasers are made cheaply in China...

GeorgeLeve

Newly Enlightened
1w green vs 7w blue

Where can you find 150 mW green and blue lasers, preferably handheld?Local stores only carry 5mW or less...

Overmind

Newly Enlightened
Technically, brightness = sqrt( .241 R2​ + .691 G2​ + .068 B2​ ).

As you can see from the formula, Green:Blue perception ratio is quite clearly in favor of green, so the 1W green will be more visible to the human eye than the 7W blue.

This does not change if we consider special weather conditions (like fog, smoke); green will still be the most visible at least at the same ratio as in the formula.

@George Try China-town-like Shops/Malls (i.e. RedDragon). You will find at least up to 1W blues there.

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1w green vs 7w blue

Where can you find 150 mW green and blue lasers, preferably handheld?Local stores only carry 5mW or less...
Well they are all over Ebay but most of them you can never be certain what output power you are actually going to get or if they have good IR filtering or not, When you buy laser off ebay it's a crap shoot...