Recommend me a thrower to compliment my HDS...

moltenmag

Enlightened
Hey guys. Moltenmag here. Looking for a long range thrower to compliment my HDS. Want to use 18650s. Looked into the surefire dual fury but I can't decide. Anything from Malkoff looks good... a wildcat? I want the same durability and quality as HDS if possible... Beamshots welcome! :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bruh, if you want durability like HDS, you're looking for a Malkoff. The Wildcat is a floodlight, though. It's not a thrower. I have the Hound Dog XML and the Hound Dog 18650. Both are fantastic. If you want the Malkoff with the most throw, look at the Hound Dog Super.

Another plus! If you're accustomed to buying HDS, as we both are, these will all seem cheap. Lol.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does color temp matter?

Tread lightly if you join the malkoff family as the options can be addictive.

If cool white is ok, M91T is also a good option. My favorites are the hound dogs though as modern mentioned.

Not sure what other options there would be if you want the same quality. Malkoff customer service and consideration of the customer is second to none too. Not sure you could find better service. Support would also be as you find here with HDS

To sum it up, your malkoff experience will be similar to what you are used to here. Not sure if there is a better match

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Malkoff 18650 HD. I love mine. Compared to an hds it throws a mile. Not to big. Mine is neutral tint. As far as build quality it's probably better even though I'll get slack for saying that. There is just not much that can go wrong with it. A potted led a battery and a switch.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For durability, I echo everyone else and say a Malkoff.
However a good option that's cheap is a Convoy C8 from mountain electronics. With the programmable option (guppy drive) it's around $25 cool white xpl-hi.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say one of Vinh's lights until he mentioned wanting to be in the same class as hds

He'd definitely get some throw then

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed that part about the quality like HDS. Malkoff it is.

The reason that I went for the modded Convoy is because I live in an urban area and have limited use for a thrower but wanted a light to fit in the "thrower" role. I use it as an 18650 battery holder and take it on trips along with my 18650 HDS and 18650 headlamp.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Bruh, if you want durability like HDS, you're looking for a Malkoff. The Wildcat is a floodlight, though. It's not a thrower. I have the Hound Dog XML and the Hound Dog 18650. Both are fantastic. If you want the Malkoff with the most throw, look at the Hound Dog Super.

Another plus! If you're accustomed to buying HDS, as we both are, these will all seem cheap. Lol.

Awesome. Do you have any experience with the Hound Dog Super? How would I carry such a beast? Is there a single 18650 Malkoff with awesome throw? Any Surefires that could compete?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Do you have any experience with the Hound Dog Super
? How would I carry such a beast? Is there a single 18650 Malkoff with awesome throw? Any Surefires that could compete?

I have extensive experience with the Hound Dog Super, but I sold mine recently. My region of the US is deeply wooded, meaning that I'd prefer a less intensive thrower with broad spill. The Hound Dog XML has more or less the same form factor, even without the throw of big brother.

The only 1x18650 throwers in the Malkoff family are the M61HOT, the M61T, and the Hound Dog 18650. As far as carry, you don't holster the Hound Dog Super, you just carry it in your hand.

archimedes

Flashaholic
With throwers especially, it is helpful to know more specifics of what you need (in terms of lumens / lux / spill / etc) and / or what you are trying to do, to provide sensible suggestions .... What are you trying to see, at what distance, and under what conditions ?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hound dog super has the furthest range from Malkoff, but if you want a true thrower...see what's on someone's tshirt across a canyon; then you want a dedicated thrower or a modded light from someone like Vinh.

As Archi said, we probably need a bit more detail on what you want or are trying to accomplish

Abot moderns comment about no holster for the super...i bet hogo could make something up;)

With Malkoff the hound dogs have the greatest range. The super can run off a single 18650 but at about half the rated output if not less than half. I'd have to double check. It can run off anything from 1 primary/16340 to 3 li-ions

The nice thing about the super is the 70-100 lumen low mode. Still very bright and useful...seems like more than 100 lumen because of the design. Most think of the super as s niche light and would choose a different light for regular use.

Not sure how much detail we should get into here. Might want to visit the Malkoff threads for proper details?

I do not have any real throwers, so i cant help too much. My homes are Malkoff and HDS

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Long range thrower" term is subjective. My thrower is a Thrunite Catapult purchased Seven (7) years ago. Throws a useable beam of light over 100 yards - a football field. Mine uses two 18650's but can use a smaller battery tube and one 18650. I still use this light when I walk my Border Collie mix dog at my weekend Mountain house as we live among families of large black bears, coyotes, foxes, skunks, ground hogs, opossums, etc. The light gives me some distance from a critter should I need to go the other way.

The newest model is smaller and more powerful.

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
I do not have any real throwers, so i cant help too much. My homes are Malkoff and HDS

Checked out the Malkoff website. Do you have any experience with their new 18650 body with a clip?Supposedly it can take surefire heads!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't checked out the newly released body. I almost bought one but decided to hold off. If we are talking about the same body, it has an adapter to be used with their mdc, scout, and sf e series heads.

This option would allow you to have a smaller light with more throw.

If runtime isn't too critical, i might just stick with the 16650 body and save the extra coin.

They also have the newer bodyguard heads/lights but not sure those fit my style/needs. I think those are more on the tactical side in a sense. I'm not to keen on the way they operate, but several of the malkoff guys love them