Recommend me a keychain light to compliment my HDS...

moltenmag

Enlightened
Moltenmag here fellow HDS fans... While I eagerly wait for Henry and Dan to design the ultimate keychain HDS light, I am searching for a suitable stand in light to compliment my HDS. I already own a Muyshondt Aeon Mk II but I want your opinion on what else is out there. I want the same durability and build quality as HDS. Tint and CRI are bonuses. I want to ultimately have a good thrower (see other thread) and a keychain to round out my collection. Should I upgrade to the Aeon MkIII or keep the MkII? What are your opinions and what are you guys rockin on your keychains?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I carried a Peak Eiger in stainless steel for years, but eventually replaced it with a UniVex, which is mostly what I use now.

I still think the Eiger is more reliable (twisty, potted) and I do switch back to Peaks while traveling, but the UniVex has a nice tint, well chosen levels, convenient clicky, and of course has the titanium factor :)

The trade-off in durability is less of a concern when I have "some" backup lights normally nearby .... :D

Last edited:

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Vote #2 for the Peak Eiger. I have a copper one (I think still available) with the throw* head on it & really like it. Not the same as an HDS, but shares the concept of "variable brightness by twisting something" and "built like a brick house".

* throw being relative, lest this reply be confused as a suggestion for your other thread! I think Peak actually calls it "ultra', but end result is a less floody flood since it's still pretty small.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a copper maratac aaa with nichia, but i dont carry it. I don't like a bulky keychain. It's a great little light though and doesn't cost too much

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vote #3 Peak Eiger.
It's funny, I have one crossing the Pond now. Not to go on a keychain, but as a backup in my coat pocket.
I had one a while back, but gave it to a friend. Hopefully he still uses it or I will want to know the reason why.
P

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gyorgy Kemenes Omicron Ti 10180, without a doubt. For the following reasons:

Excellent quality
Excellent beam (light orange peel reflector)
Excellent tint and CRI
Titanium for durability
Window made from sapphire for durability
Window heavily recessed for protection
Well-protected trits
Tiny, even less noticeable on the keys than a Lummi Wee
Choice of operating modes
Low voltage protection
No PWM

Just make sure Gyorgy sends you one of the thicker o-rings that I've provided to him, I've had zero accidental activations since upgrading the o-ring. I've been carrying my Omicron on a rather savage set of keys for months now, including a few drops onto concrete paving slabs, and the worst that's happened is a tiny ding on the edge of the bezel.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Eiger

Prometheus Beta QRv2

Factor Equipment Ghost 130 Microlight.<<< i carry the first iteration of this one, it has since been enhanced. A legitimate 6 hours of runtime at 8 lumens made me pretty happy. (usb recharging, tiny, bright on the higher mode!!)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck. It appears that you like things you can't get or cant easily get

Veleno says sold out. Amazon used to sell them. Used market or possibly if they have dealers but doing a Google search doesn't appear to bring up much for that light

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Available if interested. Shoot me a PM.
45a38888ce38efcc2e18964ca92f6d03.jpg

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Liteflux LF2XT. That is also a programmable light like the HDS.

And if you are wearing a Titanium HDS, that you must also wear a Titanlium LF2XT. :D

fyrstormer

Banned
Good luck finding a LF2XT nowadays. Wasn't that discontinued a decade ago?

- - -

Oh, regarding the Aeon Mk.3 that the OP mentioned: It doesn't have mode-memory. None of Muyshondt's light have mode-memory. That wasn't really noticeable with his old progressive-twist designs, but it's pretty obvious with his new multi-click designs. If you're cool with having no mode-memory, then the Aeon Mk.3 is a good choice (though a little large for a keychain, IMO), but if you want mode-memory then look elsewhere.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like Titanium, McGizmo Sapphire

The Sapphire is based on the AAA ARC, but it is Titanium, with High CRI and the LED has an Aspheric lens, that provides an even flood of light
Arc on left, Sapphire on right (pic is a link to more pics)

or
If you like anodised, Sofirn C01, that uses the same high CRI Yuji LED as the Sapphire

fyrstormer

Banned
Now you've got me curious. Are the Sapphire and Arc AAA heads interchangeable? If so, then I'd agree the Sapphire is based on the Arc AAA; if not, then I'd say they are entirely different lights, because everything else about them is different too. Also, the Arc AAA Ti was a less-expensive clone of the original Sapphire, made by the same machine shop to slightly looser tolerances.