REVIEW: NITECORE P12GTS 1X18650 XHP35 HD 1800 lumens

ro.ma.

Enlightened
NITECORE
upLnV2FN_o.jpg

DD8lGTyd_o.jpg

The Nitecore P12GTS was sent to me directly by Nitecore for the review. The P12GTS came to me without the usual sales package. I received the torch with the tactical ring and a transparent bag containing the clip, the lanyard and an O-ring.

For technical product information: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/p12gts

The Nitecore P12GTS incorporates the P12GT model line but changes LEDs, levels and power button.
The new born in the "Precise" series by Nitecore, the P12GTS is equipped with a CREE XHP35 HD LED that brings the maximum brightness to 1800 lumens with 12760 cd. The available levels are 5 plus three special levels; strobe, beacon and sos.
The Nitecore P12GTS has a tactical button in the queue and is powered by a 18650 battery or two CR123 / RCR123 batteries. It has the possibility of direct access to Turbo and UltraLow. It is IPX8 certified and is particularly recommended for tactical use, search and rescue, law enforcement and hunting.

FEATURES:

• 1800 Lumens ULTRA COMPACT TACTICAL SEARCHLIGHT
• Utilizes CREE XHP35 HD LED, with a maximum output of 1,800 lumens
• Maximum peak beam intensity of 12,760cd and maximum throw of 226 meters
• An optical system combined with crystal coating and "Precision Digital Optics Technology" (PDOT)
• High efficiency constant circuit provides stable output up to 250 hours
• The metal side switch controls 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes
• A power indicator beneath the side switch indicates the remaining battery power
• The power indicator can also display the battery voltage (±0.1V)
• Direct access to Turbo & Ultralow modes
• Battery 1 × 18650 ,2 × CR123
• Beam color White light
• Rigid double layer tube design
• Incorporated Advanced Temperature Regulation (AIR) module
• Electronic reverse polarity protection
• Optical lenses with double-sided scratch resistant coating C
• Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
• HA III military grade hard-anodized finish
• Waterproof in accordance with IPX8 (2 meters submersible)
• Impact resistant to 1 meter
• Tail stand capability
• Activity Gear,Hunting,Law Enforcement,Military,Search

• Length 145.71 mm / 5.73 in
• Head Size 25.4 mm / 1 in
• Weight 99 g / 3.49 oz

Included in the Box

NITECORE P12GTS
Holster
Tactical ring
Lanyard
Clip
Spare o-ring
Instruction manual
Warranty card

The Nitecore P12GTS, although not short, holds well and does not weigh in the hand. Excellent materials and writing on the torch.

The clip supplied with the P12GTS is short but stays firmly on the torch allowing easy and safe insertion into the jeans. It can only be inserted into the torch in one position.

On the head of the Nitecore P12GTS we see a SMO dish with the CREE XHP35 HD Cool White in the center. The glass has anti-reflective treatment.

On the side above the head is the lateral electronic button that allows us to manage the levels, but not to light the torch. This metal button, of normal size, has a silent click and is slightly hollowed in its seat. In the dark it is quite easily even if you wear light gloves. One thing that can help in these cases is the placement of the clip.

Around the power button we have a translucent ring that lights up blue to show us the state of charge of the battery. Then we notice the polygon-shaped head base.

The central body of the Nitecore P12GTS has a rhomboidal anti-slip knurling. Good thicknesses.

The tactical ring inserted in the torch body also works as an anti-rolling element and can be removed by unscrewing it from its seat (without removing the O-ring).

After the fillets, thick and well greased, you can see the double layer design of the central tube. Constructed from aluminum alloy, the double tube design provides stability and efficiency of the circuit as well as increased rigidity and impact resistance.

At the positive pole and at the negative pole there is a double plated spring. The Nitecore P12GTS has electronic protection against reverse polarity.

The only part that I managed to unscrew from the P12GTS is the Tailcap. Also on its surface we find a diamond-shaped knurling that facilitates operations on it. There are two slots for inserting the supplied lanyard. By unscrewing half a turn, the torch is mechanically locked.

The Nitecore P12GTS can be placed in the tail stand (candle).

The Nitecore P12GTS together with other torches.

USER INTERFACE.

The Nitecore P12GTS has two switches, one lateral and one tactical (in the queue).

With the flashlight we have 5 levels of brightness and 3 special modes available.

Turbo: 1800 lumens – 30 min.
High: 900 lumens - 1 hr 45 min
Mid: 240 lumens - 5 hr
Low: 70 lumens – 17 hr
Ultralow: 1 lumen - 220 hr

Strobe: 1800 lumens
SOS: 1800 lumens
Beacon: 1800 lumens

Operating Instructions

Battery Installation
Insert the battery(s) as illustrated and screw to tighten the tail cap.
Note: After the battery insertion, the power indicator will flash to indicate the remaining battery
power. Please refer to the "Power Indication" section of this manual for more details.
Warnings:
1. Ensure the battery(s) is/are inserted with the positive end towards the head. The product will
not work if the battery(s) is/are incorrectly inserted.
2. DO NOT direct the beam to the naked eyes.
3. When the power level is low using an IMR 18650 Li-ion battery, please stop using the product
and remove the battery to prevent damage to the battery.
4. When the product is kept in a backpack or left unused for prolonged time, please remove all
batteries to prevent accidental activation or battery leakage.
5. DO NOT submerge the light into any liquid when it is hot. Doing so may cause irreparable
damage to the light due to the difference of air pressure inside and outside of the tube.

Tactical Momentary Illumination
Half press and hold the Tail Switch to turn on the light momentarily. Release to turn it off.

On / Off
On: When the light is off, press the Tail Switch until a click sound is heard to turn on the light.
Off: When the light is on, press the Tail Switch until a click sound is heard to turn off the light.
Note: P12GTS has mode memory. When reactivated, the flashlight will automatically access the
previous memorized brightness level or STROBE mode (SOS and BEACON excluded).

Brightness Levels
When the light is on, short press the mode button to cycle through the following brightness
levels: ULTRALOW – LOW – MID – HIGH – TURBO.

Direct Access to ULTRALOW
When the light is off, press and hold the Mode Button, then click the Tail Switch and release
both to access ULTRALOW. (This access does not have the mode memory.)

Momentary Access to TURBO
When the light is on, press and hold the Mode Button to access TURBO. Release to return to the
previous memorized brightness level.

Special Mode (STROBE / BEACON / SOS)
Access: When the light is on, double press the Mode Button to access STROBE.
Switch: When STROBE is on, long press the Mode Button to cycle through the following special
modes: BEACON – SOS – STROBE.
Exit: When one of the special modes is on, short press the Mode Button to exit special modes
and access the previous memorized brightness level; or click the Tail Switch to exit special
modes and turn off the light.

Power Indication
• When the battery is inserted, the power indicator beneath the side switch will flash to show
the battery voltage (±0.1V). For example, when the battery voltage is at 4.2V, the power
indicator will flash 4 times followed by a one second pause and 2 more flashes. Different
voltages represent the corresponding remaining battery power levels:
OJcnrVRd_o.jpg

Note: when using two CR123/RCR123 in series, the indicator will show the average voltage
between the two batteries.
• When the Mode Button is pressed when the light is off, the power indicator will flash to
indicate the remaining power of the batteries:
1. Flashing three times indicates that the power is above 50%;
2. Flashing twice indicates that the power is below 50%;
3. Flashing once indicates that the power is below 10%.
• When the light is on and the power level is close to 50%, the power indicator will flash every
2 seconds to inform the user. When the light is on and the power is close to depleted, the
power indicator will flash quickly and continuously to inform the user.

ATR
With incorporated Advanced Temperature Regulation module, P12GTS regulates its output and
adapts to the ambient environment, maintaining optimal performance.

Changing Batteries
The batteries should be replaced when the power indicator flashes quickly and continuously and
the output appears to be dim or the flashlight becomes unresponsive due to low power.

BEAM, RUNTIME and BEAMSHOT.

Good beam and color of Nitecore P12GTS without artifacts. In the center the spot is white while the crown surrounding it is tending towards yellow until it reaches the edges of the spill with a tint that turns slightly to violet. From the distance of one meter you notice in the center a small yellow dot that does not affect the normal vision.
The start of the spill from the feet is about one meter.

From the graph we see the runtime performed with the TURBO level (1800 lumens), in a closed environment with a temperature of about 25 ° C, without and with forced ventilation. The used battery is a fully charged 3200 mAh Nitecore nl1832. At the end of the test the battery measured 3V. The influence of the Nitecore ATR system is clearly seen.

In this other graph we see the discharge curve with the Nitecore P12GTS set in HIGH (900 lumens) without forced ventilation.
In the graph, for comparison, the curve obtained in TURBO was added.

Beamshot and VIDEO.

VIDEO.

CONCLUSIONS.

Good this upgrade, we note the usual Nitecore quality. The Nitecore P12GTS is a torch that lends itself to many uses and compact size. Good levels and color, hoping that a neutral version (NW) will come out in the future; I have not noticed any PWM in all levels.
I thank those who read the review.

Last edited:

cjh

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great detailed review. Makes me confident I've picked a good flashlight for my first one! This review tells me exactly what to expect. Did you notice any negatives/drawbacks when using the flashlight?

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Thank you for the great detailed review. Makes me confident I've picked a good flashlight for my first one! This review tells me exactly what to expect. Did you notice any negatives/drawbacks when using the flashlight?

For now I have not noticed anything strange. I also tried to do 250 power on and off to try the switch in the queue and everything went well.

shooterduck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. How would you rate the build quality and reliability?

I ask you because I own a Fenix PD35 TAC, and I trust the brand, but it lacks some things I want (neutral tint, mode switch button with good feel, tailstand capability and better TAC capability).

The P12GTS looks to miss only the neutral tint, but I don't trust Nitecore that much...

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. How would you rate the build quality and reliability?

I ask you because I own a Fenix PD35 TAC, and I trust the brand, but it lacks some things I want (neutral tint, mode switch button with good feel, tailstand capability and better TAC capability).

The P12GTS looks to miss only the neutral tint, but I don't trust Nitecore that much...

The construction seems to me good even analyzing the details, for reliability it would take more time to know with certainty.
Here my PD35 TAC near the P12GTS.

V0faWRpZ_o.jpg

do4PwCEQ_o.jpg

JanezFord

Newly Enlightened
226m of throw? Wow, this is almost 100m less than previous model p12gt ... is the beam wider? 1800lumens vs 1000lumens on the old model but a lot less throw... can someone explain this?

ro.ma.

Enlightened
226m of throw? Wow, this is almost 100m less than previous model p12gt ... is the beam wider? 1800lumens vs 1000lumens on the old model but a lot less throw... can someone explain this?

It is simply the LED that makes the difference. The Cree XP-L Hi is smaller and dedomed.

shooterduck

Newly Enlightened
I have something else to ask you. The P12GT owners complain that the tail switch has delay on activation.

The P12GTS does the same, or does it activate instantly?

ro.ma.

Enlightened
I have something else to ask you. The P12GT owners complain that the tail switch has delay on activation.

The P12GTS does the same, or does it activate instantly?
I do not seem to remember the delay on the tail switch.