How to get more THROW out of an HDS in 2018... Step 1: Buy a different light...

moltenmag

Enlightened
So it's 2018 and you're on the Amazon looking at the HDS EDC Tactical 250 lumen Rotary Flashlight to use on your 200 acre farm property. You equate the term "tactical" to mean "throw" so you gladly purchase the light. It arrives on your doorstep 2 days later.

It's 2:00 AM the next night and you awake to the faint sound of your dog barking across the field in the chicken coop. "Must be the darn Coyotes again" you mutter to your half asleep wife. You roll out of bed, grab your Marlin Model 1895 lever action rifle and new HDS EDC Tactical Rotary 250 and head out the front door. It's time to put your new light to the test.

As you open the screen door, the moon ducks behind the dark clouds overhead shrouding the farm in darkness. The sound of your dogs barking can be heard in the distance. Using a nearby tree for support, you rest your rifle on your left arm. With your other hand, you reach down into your jacket pocket and pull out your new HDS Tactical rotary cranking the dial all the way to maximum. You can barely see the 2 black silhouettes in the distance leaping back and forth. One is your dog. One is the Coyote.

The barking increases. Time is running out. You line up your rifle to take the shot. Activating your HDS 250 light you light up the animals in the distance. But there's a problem... the light isn't bright enough to penetrate the thick fog in the field. You can't tell which one is your dog and which one is the coyote. But there isn't time for second guessing. You hold your breath and you squeeze the trigger. BANG! The gunshot echoes across your property. A direct hit. The Coyote collapses to the ground. Your dog runs off. As you approach the chicken coop, you notice that the silhouette of the animal looks an awful lot like your... dog. Running to the downed animal you scream "No?!?" Can it be?!?

But the horror is true... Due to your new HDS flashlight not being able to penetrate the thick fog on your farm property so you could properly identify the threat... You've accidentally shot your one and only friend... Buster the Black lab.

If only you would've used my hack to get more THROW out of your HDS...

Grab a piece of paper and a pen because this one is good.

Ready? Alight.

Step 1: Buy a different light

Done.

Moltenmag here. In all seriousness, I love HDS Systems. Hands down the best EDC flashlights. But I also love TIGHT beam patterns that generate a lot of THROW. If I want flood, I just use my iPhone! So, why is it that I can't get both the things I love? An HDS... with a TIGHT Hot Spot? Well, because it doesn't exist... in production form. Before you say that HDS hasn't created such a light, let me tell you that they most certainly HAVE. Ive seen pictures of HDS models with larger heads here on CPF... Take a look for yourself...

HDS Heavy Duty... (not my pictures)

Hds%20proto%20HD.jpg~original

Hds%20proto%20HDa.jpg~original

annnd the HDS To-Large-For-Pocket_Carry... (made the name up)

jqt4sz.jpg

I just have a few questions... Why weren't these made into production models? Are these props or actual functioning lights? Is this a joke? What are the specs on these lights? Was Henry scared of not meeting the demand? What was holding him back?

Whatever the case may be, I sure hope this thread helps nudge them into creating a THROW worthy beast... Because I want Buster the Black Lab to have a long full life. Who else wants more THROW?

Moltenmag Out.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I think we get so enamored with the HDS that we forget it wasn't designed to do everything. It's not a thrower. It's a small, pocket friendly flashlight. Throwers are big, fat divas that don't like to be carried around.

Please don't hurt Buster.

Since when does "tactical" equate to "throw"?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend is a hunter from a smoothbore gun, he has requirements for flashlights - clearly see at 100-120 meters (although his gun hits 50-70 meters). Not those 100-120 meters, described in ANSI FL1, but enough to recognize at this distance the purpose and its properties. The best flashlight for him was Eagletac G25C2, like mine. For shooting from threaded rifles, as I suppose, we need an even more powerful lantern.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. I was waiting for the "tactical" part where your sprint to the potential target and at 50 feet light it up with the HDS.

If you want a thrower for a rifle you will need a large (at least 2.5" wide) and long (at least 3" deep) reflector. Type in Thrunite Catapult to get you started.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice to have other options from HDS as they are one of my 2 favorites. Being many have been waiting years for a headlamp version...don't hold your breath.

I know the purpose of this thread but i just want to say that if a person lives on a farm, they probably already invested in a high power long reach light:p

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in a "throwy" HDS light, something with a larger head and more focus. But I'd also not want to see HDS cut corners to get that done. They're a (very) small company with (very) high standards. So I can only imagine that those other prototypes had flaws that Henry simply didn't have the time to address. So be it. The products he does offer are fantastic, so I'll just keeping buying those.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to your new HDS flashlight not being able to penetrate the thick fog on your farm property so you could properly identify the threat... You've accidentally shot your one and only friend... Buster the Black lab.

My firearms instructor is about to come to out.
FIDS. Find Identify Decide Shoot.
It wasn't accidental. The trigger was deliberately pulled at a target that was not positively identified.
This is totally on the shooter, not the light.
The post shooting investigation comes to this conclusion which leaves the city/county settling out of court with the dogs family for a large sum of money but less than the ***** (mother of the dog, not a slur) is suing the department for.
Officer looses his job never to work with a firearm again, becomes an alcoholic trying to mentally cope with dealing with a bad shooting as he feels he can deal with it on his own rather than seeking help. Looses his family in the process.

FIDS. You can't move from Identity to Shoot if you can't Identify.

The right tool for the job, and if the purchaser had read more than "tactical" and actually researched what they were buying, then they would at least have tactical underwear on, so anyone close to him wouldn't smell what was in it when he saw the dog. Hint: It is probably the same thing he said when he saw his dead dog.

No. HDS does not make a "thrower". Other good companies do (Malkoff and Elzetta)

Does this story make me think we should make a light with throw? To be honest... Not even a little. It makes me think there are idiots with firearms with no training at all.

Sorry, but this it what happens when you have a retired POST Firearms Instructor hanging around here.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since when does "tactical" equate to "throw"?

Amen. I read that story and was so confused by what I was reading. These flashlights were never meant to be throwers. They were developed for Caving and hard use as far as I can tell.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most instructors would say a "Tactical" light is push on release off with no modes, as that is all you want the light to do.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS is throwier than the triple fad, but not really itself a thrower. I'd suggest a Malkoff Hound Dog for a durable, USA made thrower.

moltenmag

Enlightened
No. HDS does not make a "thrower". Other good companies do (Malkoff and Elzetta)

Does this story make me think we should make a light with throw? To be honest... Not even a little. It makes me think there are idiots with firearms with no training at all.

Haha Duly noted. The purpose of this fictional story was to just start a conversation regarding interest as having an HDS as a thrower. I still think that lights with a tight hot spot have multiple applications outside of the "tacticool" realm. Yes, even in spelunking...

Also Hogo, what were the specs on the lights with the lights pictured above? Any chance on Beamshots?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first pick was the Heavy Duty. Throw was the same if not less than current 100 lumen HDS lights.
The LR is also 100 lumens. While it has more throw, in 2018, it isn't all that impressive at all.

moltenmag

Enlightened
The first pick was the Heavy Duty. Throw was the same if not less than current 100 lumen HDS lights.
The LR is also 100 lumens. While it has more throw, in 2018, it isn't all that impressive at all.

Is Henry going to ditch those designs?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why'd you have to go and shoot the dog?

I was one of the first people in my department to adapt tritium & laser sights on my sigs & glocks. An instructor asked why I had those on my gun if you can't see what you're shooting at. I told him i would never shoot him. accidentally. And if he needed to identify a low light target he should use my hds. He said he'll meet me on the range with his surefire a2. I out shot him without even using the light. & identified all the bad guy/good guy targets every time. It's a good thing I didn't need the hds. It was the ra twisty. Can you imagine turning that on & off while juggling a firearm