Recommend me 3 lights for outdoor use

Dodosaur

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I'm looking for light recommendations that are robust enough for primarily outdoor use. I don't have much experience with many flashlight brands/models; a few years ago I was gifted a Maglite Mini 2xAA incandescent (this was before LED was the trend for flashlights) and I've been quite satisfied with what it had to offer.

I'm looking for 3 lights all powered by Alkaline batteries: one to go in my pack to replace the Mini Maglite, one that can fit more comfortably in my pocket, and a headlamp. It'd be nice if they were all powered by the same battery type (AA or AAA) but this isn't a hard requirement.

Questions with answers common to all 3 lights:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I'm located in NorCal and don't mind shopping in person or online.

2) Emitter/Light source:
LED

3) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

4) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use a mix of Lithium and Alkaline batteries in AA format, and am okay with devices that primarily take NiMH.

5) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

Pack flashlight:
1) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50, but preferably under $30.

2) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

3) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

4) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want this flashlight to be able to output 100-200 on high and 25-60 on low.

5) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
I want adjustable from at least wide flood to narrow throw.

5a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Normally 5-50 yards/meters, but the further it can max out the better.

6) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
At least around 2 hours on high, and at least around 6 hours on low.

7) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't care, or maybe I just don't know enough to care.

8) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want at least 2 light levels. Intermittent flashing modes is a nice-to-have that I care only a little about.

9) Material/Finish/Coating
I don't care as long as it's durable but not ridiculously heavy for its size.

10) Water resistance
IPX4 required in case of rain, IPX7/8 nice to have.

11) Storage conditions
In backpack almost all the time.

12) Lights I've been looking at so far
Maglite Mini LED 2-Cell AA
The incandescent version has always worked for me so I defaulted to what I know.

Pocket flashlight:
1) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50, but preferably under $30.

2) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

3) Size:
MICRO - Keychain size.
TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

4) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
60-150 lumens on high, 15-50 lumens on low - low mode is preferred but not required.

I want at minimum a Wide Throw, adjustability is a nice to have.

5a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
50 yards at minimum.

6) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
At least an hour on high, more would be nice, and 3 hours on low.

Tail mounted switch preferred, forward switch okay.
I strongly prefer switches with memory/selection - as in the switch is not the thing used to cycle through modes - and would be willing to stretch my budget if necessary.

I prefer multiple light levels, but I'd rather have only one mode than a switch that cycles between modes.

I don't care as long as it's light and durable enough (so probably aluminum).

10) Water resistance
IPX8 preferred, IPX7 required.

11) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment) or in pocket

12) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
I care a lot about size and weight for this one. My Maglite Mini doesn't fit all that comfortably in my pocket and I want this one to be able to ride in my pocket for long distances.
However, this isn't going to be a flashlight in my pocket every day. I live in a city and find my cell phone flashlight feature sufficient for most tasks, and I usually have my backpack with me. This would more likely be for hiking, camping, or backpacking in a situation where I'm either not anticipating to be in the dark, need to travel light, or want a backup to a headlamp.

13) Lights I've been looking at so far
Fenix E series
Fenix LD series
Coast HP1
Coast G20
Streamlight Microstream
Streamlight ProTac series
Some random ThruNite ones
Lumintop Tool AA/AAA

Headlamp:
Up to $50.

2) Format:
I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.

3) Size:
Not sure what this means in relation to a headlamp but I have a giant head that most hats don't fit on so high adjustability is a must.

I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens). Up to 250 or 300 should be okay.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

50 yards minimum.

3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

Don't care that much as long as it's not impossible to turn off/on when it's on my head.

2 or more light levels preferred.

I don't know.

10) Water resistance
Needs to survive being close to waterfall or under rain at minimum, so probably IPX7.

11) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

12) Lights I've been looking at so far
None. I've got pretty much no experience with this kind of light.

Hope you guys can help me choose what to get, especially for the pocket flashlight and headlamp. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, but the listed budget might mean you get better suggestions from the "Budget Lights" subforum.

Please just let me know if or when you might want this thread moved.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I don't have a ton of interest in lights that use regular batteries but I picked up a Maglite combo pack a while back and was pleasantly surprised with the Maglite pro 272 and led solitaire.
My limited collection of lights that take alkaline AA consist of Fenix ld12 pre 2017 and post 2017 models. They are ok but with AA you almost need to have two in there to get real bright and have decent runtime.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Look at NEBO's "Inspector" and think also about Lumintop's AA Tool 2.0 which with a 14500 battery, will give you up to 650 lumens.

Dodosaur

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, but the listed budget might mean you get better suggestions from the "Budget Lights" subforum.

Please just let me know if or when you might want this thread moved.
Thank you! I should mention that my budget isn't necessarily set in stone - these numbers are based on what I spent on this sort of thing in the past. My experience with similar tools is that extra money often gets you extra features without a whole lot of extra quality over cheap options - and I usually don't end up using any of those features.

Also, I haven't used non-rechargeable battery-powered equipment in quite a while (other than my fire alarm), and I didn't realize AA-sized lithium batteries operated at 1.5V. I'm completely unfamiliar with NiMH batteries, but a quick Google search shows they operate at 1.2V and are also compatible with alkaline batteries. So I'm totally open to devices that take lithium or NiMH batteries (preferably the lithium ones) as long as they can take alkaline batteries as backup.

I've had trips cut short by rechargeable devices' batteries failing, so that's why I'm so worried about having backups.

How do I edit my post? I'm not seeing an option to do so. I want to add that my budget is a bit flexible and that I'm open to devices that take lithium and NiMH batteries (with a preference towards lithium batteries).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Lumintop Tools in AAA and AA would fit into your needs. One thing I really like about the Tools is that they start out in medium, then go to lo, then to high, rinse and repeat.

I personally use lithium primary cells in all of my AA and AAA lights. I have lost a couple to alkaline leaks, and refuse to open myself up to any more occurring. Also, lithium primary cells have a wider temperature response range. Although that shouldn't be a problem in Northern California, if you spend any times up in the snow portions of the mountains it could be a factor.

Hoka Hey

Newly Enlightened
For me, an admitted minimalist, smaller is better. Surefire Titan plus is my present choice for daily use. Though at 2 oz, it is a bit heavy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you! I should mention that my budget isn't necessarily set in stone - these numbers are based on what I spent on this sort of thing in the past. My experience with similar tools is that extra money often gets you extra features without a whole lot of extra quality over cheap options - and I usually don't end up using any of those features....

I've had trips cut short by rechargeable devices' batteries failing, so that's why I'm so worried about having backups.

This is not necessarily the case here on CPF .... Check out Malkoff, HDS, Peak, Elzetta, and McGizmo, if you'd like to spend more for quality ( instead of "features" )

.... How do I edit my post? I'm not seeing an option to do so. I want to add that my budget is a bit flexible and that I'm open to devices that take lithium and NiMH batteries (with a preference towards lithium batteries).

You may not yet have enough approved posts for editing privileges, but the discussion will evolve in the thread, and your changes are noted ;)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your first choice leads me to the Lumintop Tool as already stated. they are fantastic little guys and easy to use. I have 3 different ones, a modded super light by Skylumen.com (aka Vinh) a reylight version and the standard versions. all would be great for what you are looking for in your carry light. As far as the headlamp goes I own several.......... too many to list. If you want to stick with a battery powered headlamp that you can switch in and out with your carry light check out the Manker E03 it gets 200ish lumens with a AA battery.

Dodosaur

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I got editing privileges! I updated my post to more accurately reflect my budget and battery needs.

Look at NEBO's "Inspector" and think also about Lumintop's AA Tool 2.0 which with a 14500 battery, will give you up to 650 lumens.
The NEBO looks awesome! I wish it took AA instead of AAA though, at that length a bit greater diameter isn't going to make a huge difference to me and it'd be nice to have the extra battery life. Might get that instead of the LED Maglite.

I think the Lumintop Tools in AAA and AA would fit into your needs. One thing I really like about the Tools is that they start out in medium, then go to lo, then to high, rinse and repeat.

I personally use lithium primary cells in all of my AA and AAA lights. I have lost a couple to alkaline leaks, and refuse to open myself up to any more occurring. Also, lithium primary cells have a wider temperature response range. Although that shouldn't be a problem in Northern California, if you spend any times up in the snow portions of the mountains it could be a factor.
Yep, lost my original GameBoy Color to a massive battery leak. That was a sad day. I'll probably use lithium batteries mainly and keep some Alkaline around for backup. I'm okay with NiMH but I feel like I'd forget to recharge them before trips as I don't normally use many things that take AA/AAA batteries.

Your first choice leads me to the Lumintop Tool as already stated. they are fantastic little guys and easy to use. I have 3 different ones, a modded super light by Skylumen.com (aka Vinh) a reylight version and the standard versions. all would be great for what you are looking for in your carry light. As far as the headlamp goes I own several.......... too many to list. If you want to stick with a battery powered headlamp that you can switch in and out with your carry light check out the Manker E03 it gets 200ish lumens with a AA battery.
I might end up getting the Lumintop AA and AAA versions, the form factor seems really good. How does it compare to the equivalent Fenix, Streamlight, and Thrunite options?
Also, the Manker E03 looks exactly like what I need. But I'm reading it doesn't support lithium batteries. I'm assuming lithium batteries with a voltage in the ballpark of 1.5 V are okay though, and that lack of support refers to 3.7 V lithium batteries?

Dodosaur

Newly Enlightened
Just an update on this in case anyone was wondering, or in case someone stumbled upon this thread later with similar specifications...

I went with the Lumintop Tool AA for the small flashlight. It came highly recommended from almost all sources.

For the 2x AA flashlight I looked at several and found I could rule out many flashlights for around-the-house or project work because their modes went from 200+ lumens to 5-10 lumens, with nothing in between.
When all was said and done it came down to the Thrunite Archer 2A, the NiteCore MT21A, and the Zanflare F2. They all had things in the lumen ranges I wanted. I ended up going with the Zanflare F2 just because it was so much cheaper than the other options. I figured I'd get the cheap option for now and compare it to how often I used it in comparison to the Lumintop, then get an upgrade for the one I used more. The Zanflare does fit all my needs though, and comes in a neutral white option, although I prefer the lumen options on the NiteCore and the controls on the Thrunite (on the Zanflare the strobe is in the cycle for some reason).

Instead of getting a headlamp right away I decided to just get a handband for my flashlight (I got the Nite Ize one). I figured I could clip the Zanflare on and it'd do what I'd need it to. I probably will be getting a dedicated one eventually because I start long trails at night and hike with trekking poles, but I'd figured it'd be nice to have the headband anyway so I could turn an angle flashlight into a headlamp in the future.
When I do get a dedicated one, it will probably be a Zebralight as they have a lot of AA options.

Last edited: