Older Incandescent: Anyone know what it is? (Plus introduction)

BrisketBBQ

Newly Enlightened
Morning,

Going through a kitchen drawer came across this older incandescent. No marking, might be 20-years old, any clue as to maker? Same drawer, found a Pelican StealthLite. I've been in and out of flashlights most of my life, though reading CPF I realize I've just scratched the surface.

Currently have the Malkoff bug, though I've bought Maglite, Surefire 6p & E series drop-in's from them for a decade or so. My first "nice light" was a Surefire 6P, which I still have though it sports a Malkoff drop-in, sometime in the early21 century.

The MDC HA TAC recently replaced my original Surefire E1B Backup as daily carry. I should mention I am a chef, not a high-speed low-drag kind of guy, and and use flashlights at work for looking in the nooks and crannies of dry-storage, walk-in coolers, ovens and smokers and at home for (mainly) annoying my bride of 30-years.

OldFlashlight3.jpg

Regards,
BrisketBBQ

broadgage

Enlightened
What Is the light source ? could this be an early LED light, perhaps home made. 3 batteries each size N in a flashlight intended for a pair of AA was a common way of driving a single 5mm LED.
N cells are of rather low capacity to drive an incandescent bulb unless an unusually low current bulb is selected. If not LED it might be a low current lens end bulb.

Edited to add, a photo posted later shows it to be a lens end bulb and not an LED. Also TWO N cells and not the three cells that I suggested for an LED.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Looks like it might be a T11 screwbase lamp, but only the skinny tip is exposed, unless the tip is just a funny lens. Very cool. Hard to tell from the dimensions and no reference if it is 3xAAA or 1xAA. OP give us more clues!

BrisketBBQ

Newly Enlightened
2 N cell batteries, small incandescent bulb sticking out of the top, about 4.5 inches overall length. Well made, quality construction, solid feel to the light. Might even work but I do not have any N batteries on hand.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the first time I have ever seen an incan flashlight without a reflector or convex lens of any kind. Incan mule?

Any way you can take it apart a show us the parts from various angles?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmmm . . . .

Does this use a # 222 "Lens End" bulb ?

Bet it does !

No reflector or lens required with those !
:-D

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I used to make flashlights like that using rulers or sticks when I was little. I should have been an 80s flashlight engineer. : D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe a Tekna? Early one? Or a Tekna copy?
Back in the 80's copy cats were all over the place as each new company would invent a nice light and soon after cheap copies popped up.

Looks very similar to their "splashlight" that was a simple twisty on/off, used N cells and a #222 bulb.

Is it metal or plastic?

Last edited:

BrisketBBQ

Newly Enlightened
Body is metal, quality metal. The feel actually reminds me of a Malkoff MDC light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm sure that bulb is a # 222

You know those N cells are OLD,
cuz' they say Union Carbide !

So at least 1986, if not older !