Need a light for C batteries

novarider

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I have about 50 C batteries that I have no other use for so I figured I'd get a light to use them in. After all the C batteries are gone I'll make an adapter and use a protected 18650 in it. I'll be using it when I take my dogs out at night. My wife and daughter will also be using it so it needs to be tough as I'm sure they'll drop it.

I'd like it to be bright so I can find my dogs if they wander off, maybe 1000 lumens. Also like to keep it around $20 if possible.

Suggestions?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower makes a pretty bright c cell flashlight. I don't know the name right off but I saw it on batteryjunction a while back. I'll check for you later when I get home if you haven't responded yet. Ouch. Didn't see the 20 dollar budget.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is not one you were expecting, but the Rayovac 4C lantern is really nice. It has a nice comfortable handle and is well balanced, but it obviously can not be holstered. It would be relatively easy to fashion a shoulder strap for carrying so as to free up ones hand. It also doesn't do 1k lumens, but the size and shape of the head and reflector does provide a very substantial beam for longer distances. And best of all it comes close to your $20 budget. I actually bought mine at a local hardware store for ~$22, IIRC.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice: Forget the lumens – get the 3C Maglite ML25! The lumens might not be super high but the throw is. The ML25 gives you a nice big spill beam perfect for up close with a tight hotspot for throw - just about ideal for a single mode light. Some of the cheap Chinese C cell light claim higher lumens, but none that I am aware of beat the ML25 for throw, and in fact many of the cheap 1000 lumens lights seem closer to 100 lumens to me, while Mag's lumen ratings are real. The ML25 has all the simplicity, dependably and durability Mag's are known for and can be had for $20 at Home Depot.

The 3C ML25 runs great on alkaline C cells, AA Eneloops (in a simple DIY spacer tube) or 18650s in a adapter.

If you really want more lumens, I would suggest the 611 lumen 3C Mag ML50; this is a mutli mode programmable light with a soft touch electronic switch – 3X more lumens than the ML25, but only slightly more throw. The ML50 sells for around $35 for the standard model or a bit more for the grenade gripped hard ano'd LX version.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
3C ML25 boasts 18 hour runtime. I tried it, and yup it easily made 18 hours and was about 50% output. At 24 I cut it off.

Twist the head to your favorite beam and use the tailcap for on/off.
A Streamlight Stinger rubber anti-roll device fits it. And flashlightlens dot com has replacement lenses including glass if you prefer.

The ML25 is way, way brighter than the numbers suggest.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about this one from home depot? Anyone tried it? I know it takes D cells but I can make an adapter and use the C's in it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...breakable-Aluminum-Flashlight-99294/205937853

That mag ml50 suggested above looks decent as well

I have seen ones like that at home depot, they seemed very heavy to me and not near as well made as a Maglite.

I have one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205937853-_-206091479-_-N

It works, but pretty much cheap junk compared to a Mag ML25. The Defiant is not water resistant at all, the build quality is not near as good and the 3 mode tail switch that forces you to cycle through the dopey strobe mode to turn off is annoying. It is bright but I doubt it is a full 850 lumens and it is not throwy. I also find tail switches awkward on C and D cell lights. I think the Husky's are a little more heavy duty/waterproof than the Defiants, but they are are of generally the same design and build quality with basically the same faults - bottom line get a Maglite!

novarider

Newly Enlightened
How about you sell the batteries & buy a good light,

I have plenty of "good lights". I generaly don't let my wife or daughter use them tho as they are very tough on them. They killed an Olight I bought for this same purpose (taking the dog out) so I need something tough and cheap incase they break this one too. I have all these batteries so why not use them.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have the defiant 850 lumen triple. They now sell it at 1000 lumens for about $15.
Certainly it is not of the build quality of a maglite, but it is also half the price, and lighter to carry.

Although, my grandson has the choice of any of my lights, with few exceptions, he always chooses the defiant triple and a crelant 18650 headlamp. It is large enough to easily find in his pack, and it has a nice combination of spill and throw. I can see why he likes it so much.

I don't think I ever put a full set of C's through them, so I don't know how long they last. Instead, like you plan in the future, I run mine on a single 18650 with an adapter.

nb9WqlUNXwYylk1cBADgScnAMLIvO0tnRIF8xxugLYkymcfoIH4Emb1bJiqsub3219OY_Vr7krx1kVjA3tBq2TUvTnVHHkBIHlbUOaKqEdYprSKqTUjBGI3DQrOWMuWDfT0DDOPTWoXF0RbrpcbdyT9uoiitNq9ZemOO03Nasxm2g7dhqwyjBhMThZ473JDk1NJEkWC1cBT70WtIYBytE2SWoUK5WpPsqMm6RHzR5Kkl3MJp2u9XwCFlXYc-WQQa8LTd6qv8Wvph3sHU0HZqyoZusgKmfW0HFX6ZZChT01rs5_EuptVGWOJvqDnuZJhFXfqcB-DVlU1WYlJQX-zPhcwebcaJb4_WmnvdXQnSOfqIlJLIeMlZhAy4ELA1mtSJRlebn6WXaFXzIfRC4BVEgg86XrqbyWjsYWGgLdq6FZ-cv9MFhD8cJp90FRU5A2pd1uUdF7xe7qY_zqxTXEHxw-t3mft1g_DSyVQLtiC_jV-pxJ1iweNR9IWWr40PtwC_IXf_1Luo8C6_YbuSQHiGmlqF74a_GZdoYzOcx1eJWZLF2-pja1ZiQ4IP9BejcdsCUepkvanSPk5paITvtRSBL6TokzNwm0XAap6j3HpUFH2nlbRMngB7-3g9Wk70bTI=w1600-h725-no

Oops, that 26650 doesn't belong in the picture, because it won't fit.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the defiant 850 lumen triple. They now sell it at 1000 lumens for about $15.
Certainly it is not of the build quality of a maglite, but it is also half the price, and lighter to carry.

Although, my grandson has the choice of any of my lights, with few exceptions, he always chooses the defiant triple and a crelant 18650 headlamp. It is large enough to easily find in his pack, and it has a nice combination of spill and throw. I can see why he likes it so much.

I don't think I ever put a full set of C's through them, so I don't know how long they last. Instead, like you plan in the future, I run mine on a single 18650 with an adapter.

nb9WqlUNXwYylk1cBADgScnAMLIvO0tnRIF8xxugLYkymcfoIH4Emb1bJiqsub3219OY_Vr7krx1kVjA3tBq2TUvTnVHHkBIHlbUOaKqEdYprSKqTUjBGI3DQrOWMuWDfT0DDOPTWoXF0RbrpcbdyT9uoiitNq9ZemOO03Nasxm2g7dhqwyjBhMThZ473JDk1NJEkWC1cBT70WtIYBytE2SWoUK5WpPsqMm6RHzR5Kkl3MJp2u9XwCFlXYc-WQQa8LTd6qv8Wvph3sHU0HZqyoZusgKmfW0HFX6ZZChT01rs5_EuptVGWOJvqDnuZJhFXfqcB-DVlU1WYlJQX-zPhcwebcaJb4_WmnvdXQnSOfqIlJLIeMlZhAy4ELA1mtSJRlebn6WXaFXzIfRC4BVEgg86XrqbyWjsYWGgLdq6FZ-cv9MFhD8cJp90FRU5A2pd1uUdF7xe7qY_zqxTXEHxw-t3mft1g_DSyVQLtiC_jV-pxJ1iweNR9IWWr40PtwC_IXf_1Luo8C6_YbuSQHiGmlqF74a_GZdoYzOcx1eJWZLF2-pja1ZiQ4IP9BejcdsCUepkvanSPk5paITvtRSBL6TokzNwm0XAap6j3HpUFH2nlbRMngB7-3g9Wk70bTI=w1600-h725-no

Oops, that 26650 doesn't belong in the picture, because it won't fit.

It is a big step up from dollar store lights to be sure but for anyone interested enough to be posting here there are better options for not much more $. I tried my Defiant 3C briefly with alkalines and it draws over 2 Amps, which means that alkalines won't last long particularly at full brightness. I also run mine on 18650s in an adapter I 3D printed - Li Ions and NiMh's seem to put out 850+ lumens no problem (in fact their lower internal resistance might be over driving it a bit). I would like it better if they had bothered to put some O rings in it for some water resistance and put a timer in the switch so the strobe stays hidden unless you give a quick triple click when turning it on.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
I'm think I'm going to get the maglite ML50L I have $20 in bestbuy rewards so I can get it for $18!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There is definitely a case to be made for having at least one light per cell format;
In local emergencies, the AA's and the D's get cleaned out ASAP, while the 9V & 'C' cells stay on the shelves much longer.
In a 'long emergency', having at least one C-cell light could be a really smart move ...

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is definitely a case to be made for having at least one light per cell format;
In local emergencies, the AA's and the D's get cleaned out ASAP, while the 9V & 'C' cells stay on the shelves much longer.
In a 'long emergency', having at least one C-cell light could be a really smart move ...

There is that, plus with a C cell light you can also run AA's with a spacer tube made from rolled up news paper if need be. A 3C light will also run real well on 18650's if you make an adapter.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The first run of FiveMega 'C' bodies were absolutely top of their class; they were quickly superseded by the 26500 bodies which were aesthetically not nearly as pleasing IMHO.

They were made for P60 dropins; in retrospect I probably should have kept one of mine ... :mecry:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good advice! Even though B&M stores seem to have a huge supply of AAs on a daily basis they disappear fast in a crisis along with D cells IME.

To the OP, if you can find an old 2C incan they are nice utilitarian lights with an LED drop-in.That would give you a second C option in addition to the Mag without a lot of cost.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It is a big step up from dollar store lights to be sure but for anyone interested enough to be posting here there are better options for not much more $. I tried my Defiant 3C briefly with alkalines and it draws over 2 Amps, which means that alkalines won't last long particularly at full brightness. I also run mine on 18650s in an adapter I 3D printed - Li Ions and NiMh's seem to put out 850+ lumens no problem (in fact their lower internal resistance might be over driving it a bit). I would like it better if they had bothered to put some O rings in it for some water resistance and put a timer in the switch so the strobe stays hidden unless you give a quick triple click when turning it on.

Here is a discharge test of alkaline C cells, courtesy of our friend HKJ.
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Panasonic Pro Power C UK.html

At a steady 2 amps, they will be depleted in a little more than an hour.
Of course, as the voltage drops, the out put will drop, and the amperage draw will also drop, so on alkalines, it may run for a couple of hours, with diminishing output.

On low... one might get 6 hours of diminishing output. I don't really know.

Yeah, that strobe is a slight annoyance, but one quickly learns to double click past it to off.