Florence 2018

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Right now best guesses are saying between Myrtle Beach SC and Cape Fear NC are the bullseye.

Then a high pressure bubble beside PA could cause Florence to stall over W.Va. UGH!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful folks. This one could be real bad.

WDR65

Enlightened
Yep, landfall is predicted within twenty miles of my house. We're about set as far as prep goes. Saws are Sharp and gassed up, generators are ready and the eneloops and 18650's are full charged.

I've been through 2 major and several minor hurricanes but never one this strong. I've heard stories and seen pictures of how bad Hurricane Hazel was in the 50's and this looks similar. Luckily I'm not too worried about major flooding, it's tree and wind damage for us.

Hoping it turns or gets bounced back out to sea.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Stay safe fellas! And please don't forget the updates, I love reading details about those situations.

scout24

Flashaholic
Stay safe! My stepfather has a place in Murrel's Inlet, SC. I asked via email last night if the insurance was paid up.

WDR65

Enlightened
While the track has moved a little bit north it's still forecast to make landfall just to the east/northeast of us. Strange thing is that the weather today is very nice, clear and the only detriment is the heat. It's almost surreal and if I hadn't been through several before I would think there is no way we're going to see a major hurricane in two days.

Gas is running out locally and I'm going out one more time today to try to fill up. I'll fill up the diesel tank for the business tomorrow. I've got all the tractors and skid steers fueled up. It's a mixed blessing having so much time to prepare, the anxiety can get to you. Someone posted on facebook that waiting on the storm is like "being stalked by a turtle". I think that's a pretty apt description.

markr6

Flashaholic
While the track has moved a little bit north it's still forecast to make landfall just to the east/northeast of us. Strange thing is that the weather today is very nice, clear and the only detriment is the heat. It's almost surreal and if I hadn't been through several before I would think there is no way we're going to see a major hurricane in two days.

It's pretty amazing how far we've come being able to forecast so far ahead. Sometimes the forecast is wrong just 12 hours prior, but in general, it's pretty darn good. I couldn't imagine the feelings from a sneak attack 150 years ago. Or especially 500 years ago when it was probably chalked up to an angry sea monster!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 70's my mother sent me to Jamaica to stay with my uncle for a month. A day or 2 later a hurricane hit. I remember the smell of wet pigeon like it was yesterday (my bedroom was right next to the pigeon coop/poop). When I came home to New Jersey, a hurricane hit the next day. I'm wondering after reading about what you're saying concerning the predictability of storms that maybe they planned this.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points everyone. Stay safe all!

We're not super close but are in the mid Atlantic area. We bought a house only months ago and just got mostly done recovering from fire damage next door. Hopefully in the next couple days I will set up a battery backup sump pump (on its way via UPS) to buy us time if the main pump fails or we lose power, and we haven't quite played with the generator we bought a while back yet. I'm just worried about all the rain that might come our way and possible power outages since we have a finished basement. Since my wife is due with our first baby within two weeks it could be an interesting time depending on how the storm's track actually veers and when the baby decides to come!

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Agreed! "Hatz off to the first responders, doctors, nurses, and power workers. Anyone else who has to show up for work during the storm also deserve a salute."

PartyPete

Enlightened
I'm far enough from the coast not to be terrified, but close enough to the projected path to be pretty concerned. Stores are essentially wiped out of bread, milk, bottled water. Gas is becoming scarce with a few stations completely empty.

I'm about as prepared as I can be and hoping for the best with this one.

moltenmag

Enlightened
I'm far enough from the coast not to be terrified, but close enough to the projected path to be pretty concerned. Stores are essentially wiped out of bread, milk, bottled water. Gas is becoming scarce with a few stations completely empty.

I'm about as prepared as I can be and hoping for the best with this one.

Better charge those 18550s... Hope it dissipates when it hits land 🤞

markr6

Flashaholic
I wish they would change the Saffir Simpson scale. Well, maybe not change it, but focus less on the number in the news and the graphics. People see it go from a "4" to a "3" and take a (small) sigh of relief. So say 128mph isn't so bad as 133mph? Exact same thing!

And of course it's going to be a "3" or "2" on the little graphics they make when the EYE makes landfall...that's just how it works after if loses energy from the warm water. But 1 hour before that you can have a 3 or 4 winds blasting the coast. I think it's very misleading to people that aren't weather nerds...so most people.

And why do people get truckloads of bottle water? Cheap plastic containers (plus the waste, but that's of little concern at this point). I would rather have a few sturdy bottles plus some larger 1-gal jugs of my tap water for refilling. No worries, and it's free.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks to a Scout24 group buy I have a few Yuji clad MiniMags and a bunch of primaries for if the eneloops run down.

Now a Yuji'd MiniMag aint very bright at only about 8 lumens but.... night after night after night that'll be plenty.

Rayovac and Energizer 1D lights put out about 25 lumens for nice long periods as well and only cost a few $ each.

Mrs. Fixer and I put tap water through Brita filters whenever these things are forecast in order to have several gallons on standby. We stick 'em in the freezer in order to have ice blocks to keep the few perishables still in the fridge cold.

Placing a blanket over the front of the fridge helps keep things colder longer too. We just adapt to conditions and figure we're vacationing back in time during Thomas Jeffersons era.

Edit:
I just heard a guy call in on a local radio show and ask "how come people who ordinarily live off 3 sodas a day suddenly turn into fish and buy 40 gallons of water when a hurricane is forecast?"
End edit.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
My county has just been put under a mandatory evacuation. The main fear is the rainfall totals as it's supposed to sit here for several days. We're staying put because my parents won't leave. I live close by but I'd feel better if they went west and stayed with my brother.

My wife and I are packing the essentials in our vehicles just in case. Not so much to leave the area but just in case we have go to higher ground.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For folks along the SC and GA coasts, who haven't paid attention....

Things have changed. Looks like as far south as Georgia is in the potential influence now and instead of Cape Fear NC being the bullseye, Myrtle Beach SC.... perhaps Charleston may have become the target.