nichia (warm light) and sleep

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been a member for more than 4 years now, and have seen many discussions about Nichia LEDs, warm light, though I still don't understand CRI (color rendering index). The reason for my post is I've now started using my L10 Nichia 219, due to it's warm light that does not affect sleep when I'm in bed. I use it when I wake in the morning. Knowing now the importance of getting at least 7 hours of sleep (8 + is better), when I awake, I now reach for the L10 Nichia to light up my clock - and if it's too early, I go back to bed. All of my other lights have too much blue / are way too cold - blue light affects your circadian rhythm and is a no no during sleep time.

I don't like the twist, so I just got a Nitecore Tip Nichia with it's push button!

Some links below on sleep and blue light. First pic is of f.lux - pc program where you can change out of blue light mode hours before bedtime.

The rest of the links below are very good reading / watching. Dr. Rhonda Patrick is awesome!

Utefe01.png

Light therapeutics: How light (or darkness) affects our circadian clock, sleep, and mood 5-2-2018

What are circadian clocks, where are they, and how can we nurture them? 3-29-2018

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the future, you want to search by color temperature not by LED manufacturer to be sure you get what you want. The nichia you are thinking of likely has a temp around 4000k which isnt as warm as you can go.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the future, you want to search by color temperature not by LED manufacturer to be sure you get what you want. The nichia you are thinking of likely has a temp around 4000k which isnt as warm as you can go.
As long as it's not cool blue - as they say: that's good enough for gov work.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff and I love Rhonda Patrick's talks like this. I've been using a Maglite Solitaire incan and have an E01 3200k en route as well for middle of night\early morning duty. Also an orange led photon freedom works like a champ. I not only want warm but also LOW output.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
* red goes between pillows and bathrooms, yellow everywhere else

Well, maybe if you had more light in the bathroom, the yellow wouldn't end up everywhere else. :wave:

I use low output lights, mostly 4000K, around the house after dark. The OP is quite correct. Cooler lights are a hindrance to circadian rhythm.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
InRe CRI, or Color Rendering Index. As I understand it, natural indirect light is considered the standard for color rendition. Remember every story about artists talks about northern light like skylights or windows. This is why. There are some standards for measuring and quantifying color rendition. The test is for 19 different colors across the spectrum if I remember correctly. This is then averaged down into a single index value, the CRI, with a CRI of 100 being a perfect score. So, in a simplified fashion, the higher the CRI, the more things look like they would outside being illuminated by indirect light from the sun.

When one wanders into film or video, other factors come into play in regards to the color sensitivity of the film/sensor in use, and getting good rendition becomes much more complex.

Please, I don't do this for a living or even a hobby, so I know there are all kinds of things probably wrong in this explanation. This is how I understand it, and it is useful to me without any further technicality. What I am hoping is that the thirty or forty or so of you who DO understand this better won't hijack the thread away from its original direction.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff and I love Rhonda Patrick's talks like this...
She is great.

InRe CRI, or Color Rendering Index. As I understand it, natural indirect light is considered the standard for color rendition. Remember every story about artists talks about northern light like skylights or windows. This is why. There are some standards for measuring and quantifying color rendition. The test is for 19 different colors across the spectrum if I remember correctly. This is then averaged down into a single index value, the CRI, with a CRI of 100 being a perfect score. So, in a simplified fashion, the higher the CRI, the more things look like they would outside being illuminated by indirect light from the sun.

When one wanders into film or video, other factors come into play in regards to the color sensitivity of the film/sensor in use, and getting good rendition becomes much more complex.

Please, I don't do this for a living or even a hobby, so I know there are all kinds of things probably wrong in this explanation. This is how I understand it, and it is useful to me without any further technicality. What I am hoping is that the thirty or forty or so of you who DO understand this better won't hijack the thread away from its original direction.
Thanks!

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't considered effects on sleep cycles and this should be an interesting watch when I get the time.

Beyond just preferring warmer lights for the normal reasons people like them, I have some light sensitivity issues that amplify the preference. I only discovered the overlap of CRI and "pretty" lights since joining and researching here. My favorite personal light by far is the Massdrop Brass Nichia AAA with 219B (see link below). It comes on in the lowest setting, which is useful for a lot of things without much disruption of night vision. I've seen the temperature given as 4200-4300K and on high, it projects a gently golden spot that nicely displays the full color profile and detail of whatever I'm looking at. Yes, warmer lights are out there. This one is just a very pretty light that is well-built and works extremely well for me.

As far as night lights, I find red to be the gentlest color. I also like the old 25W red incandescent bulbs for the time just prior to sleep. It's enough to see what and where everything is in a room while still keeping visual stimulation low.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-brass-aaa-pocket-flashlight

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it's not cool blue - as they say: that's good enough for gov work.

The government around my area is only installing cool blue streetlights. :shakehead

Actually, probably about 5000K, so not actually cool. I'd be fine with those along the major highways, but they're installing them on residential streets, too, and they seem really harsh in that context.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I've been suffering from Chronic Insomnia for a few years and Having warm lighting in the house definitely seems to help. I also use only the red mode on my surefire kroma when I get up in the middle of the night. One thing though is that in the morning there is a train of thought that a cooler colored bright light helps wake the body up and get it into awake mode. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a big help for insomnia and keeping the circadian rhythm in check by giving the body clues for when it is supp supposed to be awake is helpful just like giving it clues for when it is supposed to be winding down for sleep. So, bright cooler tinted lighting in the bathroom where you do your morning routine and warmer tinted lower lighting where you read or relax right prior to bed can be a big help.