Odd battery find

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I just found this carbon-zinc battery. We have hundreds of NiMH batteries, having replaced all the alkalines in all our small devices, but I didn't know we had one of these. I have no idea where it came from.

I knew these batteries were developed from the original wet Leclanche batteries, and were basically the first dry cell batteries, but that was about it. I just finished the Wiki article, so now I know a lot more.

Anyway, here's a photo:

https://imgbox.com/1sfbH8xl

Anyone else here have any experience with them, or know anything about them?

I just happened to look at it as it didn't look like any of my NiMH cells, which are mostly white and black colored eneloops, and then I noticed the label stating the type of cell.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbon zinc AA/AAA are widely available economical alternatives to Alkaline, often marketed with names like "General Purpose" or "(Super) Heavy Duty" or similar.

Below are key properties excerpted from Eveready's 12 page Handbook and Application Manual:

• Less expensive than alkaline. Economical in terms of cost per hour on moderate current drains or use frequency
  • Less output capacity decrease than LeClanche as the drain rate increases
  • Less sensitive than LeClanche to changes in the discharge rate and/or duty cycle.
  • Lower internal resistance than LeClanche.
  • Better low temperature performance than LeClanche.
  • Energy density of approximately 2 to 2.5 watt hours per cubic inch.
  • Average service maintenance exceeds 90% after one year storage at 21°C on typical tests.
  • Higher open circuit and initial closed circuit voltage than LeClanche or alkaline.
  • Lower unit weight than alkaline.
  • Available in voltages ranging from 1.5 volts to 12 volts and in a variety of shapes and sizes.
  • Sloping discharge curve.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of carbon-zinc batteries still being sold or included with really cheap electronics, usually called "heavy duty" or something like that.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Awesome info, thanks!

I've just never seen them, so I wondered how I might have gotten one.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Lots of carbon-zinc batteries still being sold or included with really cheap electronics, usually called "heavy duty" or something like that.

Ahh. Maybe that's why I've never seen one. I don't buy enough cheap electronics. ;-)

So basically this is the type of battery that one might find bundled with those cheap transistor radios in the past, things like that. If even saving a fraction of a penny is important, it makes sense since they are lighter and cheaper than alkalines.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just never seen them, so I wondered how I might have gotten one.

You've probably seen and used them without realizing it since - unlike that Toshiba - most brands don't distinguish them with big "CARBON ZINC BATTERY" labels on the wrapper, so many consumers don't even realize that they are not alkaline. Often the only clue is the much cheaper price and the "heavy duty" or "general purpose" monikers.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was growing up, alkalines were fairly expensive and carbon zinc batteries (usually in the form of silver labeled Evereadys) or heavy duty batteries (black labeled Everreadys) were very popular - often I opted for the heavy dutys for my Walkman because of price and I would even partially recharge them on a dumb charger interned for NiCads (something I do NOT recommend). Now that alkalines are fairly cheap, you don't see these types of batteries that much in stores except for dollar stores (usually Sunbeam, Rayovac or Panasonic brands). Considering that even the (super) Heavy Duty varieties only last about 1/4 as long as alkalines, these no longer make much economic sense even if alkalines are typically about twice the price. They also have shorter shelf lives than alkalines and can not handle even moderate loads, though they often show up as the "batteries included" in remotes and cheap dollar store toys and lights. And like alkalines, they do leak. These types of batteries are still used a lot though out the third world though.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
You've probably seen and used them without realizing it since - unlike that Toshiba - most brands don't distinguish them with big "CARBON ZINC BATTERY" labels on the wrapper, so many consumers don't even realize that they are not alkaline. Often the only clue is the much cheaper price and the "heavy duty" or "general purpose" monikers.

Good point. No doubt I've had them in the past without realizing it.

I just thought it was cool getting to try out a different chemistry. I put it in my little Olight i3 EOS which puts out about about 120 lumens. No problem, but it was just for a few seconds, as I want to measure the voltage on it with my multimeter. I noted the Wiki article said they are 1.5V.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Speaking of different battery types, I thought this was very interesting, from the Wiki article on lithium-titanate batteries (I happened to see the reference for the Wiki article on different battery types at the bottom of the carbon-zinc article):

"A lithium–titanate battery is a modified lithium-ion battery that uses lithium-titanate nanocrystals, instead of carbon, on the surface of its anode. This gives the anode a surface area of about 100 square meters per gram, compared with 3 square meters per gram for carbon, allowing electrons to enter and leave the anode quickly. This makes fast recharging possible and provides high currents when needed.[6] Lithium Titanate cells also last 3000-7000 charge cycles, far longer than other battery chemistries.[7]"

It reminded me of the 3D spinel structure of lithium manganese oxide batteries, which have better permeability also.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
When I was growing up, alkalines were fairly expensive and carbon zinc batteries (usually in the form of silver labeled Evereadys) or heavy duty batteries (black labeled Everreadys) were very popular - often I opted for the heavy dutys for my Walkman because of price and I would even partially recharge them on a dumb charger interned for NiCads (something I do NOT recommend). Now that alkalines are fairly cheap, you don't see these types of batteries that much in stores except for dollar stores (usually Sunbeam, Rayovac or Panasonic brands). Considering that even the (super) Heavy Duty varieties only last about 1/4 as long as alkalines, these no longer make much economic sense even if alkalines are typically about twice the price. They also have shorter shelf lives than alkalines and can not handle even moderate loads, though they often show up as the "batteries included" in remotes and cheap dollar store toys and lights. And like alkalines, they do leak. These types of batteries are still used a lot though out the third world though.

Great observations on carbon-zinc vs. alkalines.

And since the metallic zinc can or container corrodes, it strikes me that carbon-zincs have the same leakage issues that alkaleaks have.

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
Zinc carbon batteries are still widely used in the larger sizes.
Tail lights on freight trains use a pair of zinc carbon 6 volt batteries, as do the warning lights around road works.
Screw terminal lantern batteries are usually zinc carbon.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very interesting. Ya know, I think I recall hearing about those railroad lights years ago.

I also recall those bulky 6V lanterns or flashlights from decades ago; they had a big, vertically adjustable reflector up front, and had a smaller red signal light in the back, and used these big heavy batteries. I'm guessing those batteries were carbon-zinc now like you said.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
So just a brief follow up on this battery.

I just tested it and the voltage was 1.51V. This is despite having sat in a drawer for probably two or three years. Maybe modern carbon-zinc batteries don't self-discharge as fast as in the past?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just a brief follow up on this battery.

I just tested it and the voltage was 1.51V. This is despite having sat in a drawer for probably two or three years. Maybe modern carbon-zinc batteries don't self-discharge as fast as in the past?

Neither Zinc-Carbon or alkaline will discharge much in a couple of years. They should still have most of their charge. Check them in 10 years, and you'll probably notice more discharge.

BTW, resting voltage isn't really a good way to measure how much charge is left in a battery. But, it's probably a reasonable approximation, given that other methods are more difficult.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, I should try putting a load on it and measure it again.

That's good to know about the self discharge. I think I might have been thinking carbon-zincs tend to self-discharge because of the traditional corrosion problem. Maybe that's not as much of an issue anymore with modern designs.