Fenix Pd35tac or fenix fd41?

redfish55

Newly Enlightened
I have narrowed my search down to these two lights. Does anyone own both of these Fenix lights? If so which is the better light in your opinion. I am under the assumption that the fd41(900 lumens) with the Cree XP-L HI LED will give me more distant viewing because of the high intensity LED (plus the beam is adjustable) than the pd35tac (1000 lumens) with the Cree XP-L(V5) LED. I would appreciate any feedback on these two lights. I have read that a lot of people do not like these adjustable beam lights but do not know why. Thanks.

Zak

Enlightened
These seem like an odd pair to be comparing because they differ in size. It would make more sense to me to be comparing the PD35 and FD30, or the TK15UE and the FD41. Those are pairings that are similar in size, and the advertised throw distance does not differ significantly between the adjustable and fixed-focus models where they're the same size.

Adjustable focus is not generally favored in the flashlight enthusiast community because it adds bulk and weight, compromises waterproofing, and usually doesn't produce a very nicely shaped beam for general use. The FD30, for example looks OK at full-flood and full-throw, but has a pattern that looks like a ripple at any other setting. Fenix does have some of the best quality adjustable-focus lights if you're really attached to that feature, but most of us have found fixed-focus lights preferable for most use cases. The combination of a hotspot and spill with a choice of brightness levels usually handles a good range of distances unless you need a dedicated thrower.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of most of the Fenix lineup. They're very well-made lights, but usually don't have a low mode low enough to preserve dark adaptation, most of them are cool white when I strongly prefer neutral, and many still use timed stepdowns when even budget lights are using thermal sensors these days. I'd lean toward an Acebeam EC35 XP-L HI over a PD35, for example.

prof student

Enlightened
Redfish55,

What did you decide to go with?
I narrowed it down to the PD35TAC or the FD30/41.
I want an EDC & to use it as a bike light.