AAA to AA adapter

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Below is the linked photo.

jnXjq.png

Worth emphasis for readers new to Li-ions. Don't do something like the above with Li-ion cells because they are constructed differently than other common consumer cells. Namely, the entire can is negative, so if the wrapper is torn near the (positive) top, then it can easily be shorted by a small metallic object - such as the above tin foil balls. This is likely the cause of various vaper "pants on fire" incidents, where keys, coins, etc have shorted naked cells carried in pockets.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, no I don't use foil in my chargers, but will sometimes used a depleted AAA to run my AA lights. Lately I've found that a fairly depleted alkaline will give a nice 4 lumen or so output from my M31W. Great for late night when I don't full output from that dropin.
LoL! I hope the picture I linked is not yours!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I've seen several photos of these brass spacers in different sizes here over the years. I'm sure they're available somewhere.

I'll see if I can find mine and post a photo.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Times are so bizarre nowadays that the aluminum foil may be more expensive than the cheap generic AAA-to-AA adapters (< 20c in qty, e.g. $2.23 for 12 on eBay). But the recent tariffs on Chinese imports are causing steep increases on Al foil prices. Will all hell break loose when our fellow Americans can no longer afford tin foil hats?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
As others have mentioned, several of the above techniques do increase risks of short circuits, which can range from an inconvenience to a catastrophe.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have mentioned, several of the above techniques do increase risks of short circuits, which can range from an inconvenience to a catastrophe.

Yeah, that picture above looks like something off the 'Redneck Inventions' website.

Maybe solid copper stock, cut to fit, would be better, or even some pre-1982 US pennies?

Chris

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the purchase of the inexpensive adapters. I bought several at around $0.50 each that are clear plastic that enclose the entire AAA cell with the bottom open for direct contact at the negative base and a brass button top for conduction at the positive terminal. There is no chance for a short, they work with flat tops, button tops, Eneloops, Lithium, etc and they fit tight enough there is no rattle(when traveling I usually have multiple battery carriers and almost always bring the adapters as an emergency backup). I wrote that response thinking about how I use the adapters in AA lights as a backup, but they work excellent in chargers as well. If you find yourself in an emergency needing to recharge AAA's in a AA charger, I reccomend only using the foil on the negative end and wrapping a dollar bill or thick paper around the cell and foil to further protect against shorts...oh yeah, redneck and proud of it!