Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Is this the "best bang for the buck" in it's Class ?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Is this the "best bang for the buck" in it's Class ?

Hi all,

I've been interested in a larger (non EDC) POWERFUL Flashlight for several years now, however, I've been pretty turned off with the high cost of these powerful "THROWERS".

Then today (I admit I'm late to the Party) I learn about the Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Flashlight. The price of the HL-4 is way more to my liking! So, might the HL-4 be THE

best of it's Class (i.e. a powerful/Hand held-non EDC) Flashlight for the money ? Might there be other Powerful lights of this type that I should consider in this price range or is

the Streamlight HL-4 going to be my best bet ? Thanks for any help/suggestions/recommendations/information you may offer.

Regards,

SixCats!

Re: Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Is this the "best bang for the buck" in it's Class ?

The Streamlight HL-5 is more advanced though it uses the CREE XHP70.2 which is a power flooder LED and not a thrower. The Manker U22 is inexpensive yet uses all the latest technology and is a thrower. I hope this information helps.

Hi all,

I've been interested in a larger (non EDC) POWERFUL Flashlight for several years now, however, I've been pretty turned off with the high cost of these powerful "THROWERS".

Then today (I admit I'm late to the Party) I learn about the Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Flashlight. The price of the HL-4 is way more to my liking! So, might the HL-4 be THE

best of it's Class (i.e. a powerful/Hand held-non EDC) Flashlight for the money ? Might there be other Powerful lights of this type that I should consider in this price range or is

the Streamlight HL-4 going to be my best bet ? Thanks for any help/suggestions/recommendations/information you may offer.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Re: Streamlight ProTac HL-4 Is this the "best bang for the buck" in it's Class ?

Thank you "search and rescue", I very much appreciate the response.

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened

Funny thing.....I wonder why the older HL-4 appears to be MORE expensive than the newer 5 ? I am NOT a fan of the SIDE switch which is on the newer 5.

Heck, I don't like SIDE switches/button in general. Rear Clicky for me! The older HL-4 is looking good!

Regards,

SixCats!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like tail-clickies for anything larger than a tactical sized flashlight myself.

My recommendation would be a Wowtac A4, but I wouldn't know what to recommend if you're so adamant about a tail-switch.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi Twist,

Yea, I have a hard enough time finding most (recessed) side Button/Switches on most Flashlights while in the dark. With Fall/Winter approaching here in Maine (before too long)

a side button/switch becomes even more difficult to locate when wearing Gloves. I guess I'm just use to using Rear Clickies. That being said.....I just checked out the Wowtac A4

and for the price, I think I COULD learn to LOVE the SIDE BUTTON lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

SixCats!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh that would make a lot of sense then to like the tail clickies. The wowtac A4 is modeled after the excellent Thrunite V6, only it's a 2x18650 format instead of 1x26650. Head, reflector, emitter, side-switch are all the exact same.

I love the thrunite V6 so much; I think it's a near perfect light. The one criticism i have of it though is that its side-switch is hard to locate. For a long runtime duty light all you need is that one activation and let it stay on, but still though, it's somewhat of a hassle even without gloves on.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi twist,

Yes, my point exactly! I HATE being unable to locate side button/switches in the dark. I swear, I have a few side button lights and I find then a PITA

(and possibility even dangerous) especially if I had to quickly shut off a side switch light in a (tactical situation or such) as the side switch/button requires one to keep ones Hand/Finger

positioned ON the button at all times, least one could have great difficulty trying to RE-located that power button. Using a Rear Clicky, I KNOW exactly where that button is located

and even if the light moves around/about in my Hand/or dropped/etc. At any rate, that's how I personally feel about Clickies vs. side buttons.

SixCats!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Streamlight incorparated the side switch on the HL-5 as a wrist fatigue relief.

The HL-4 is front heavy, which when used in lengthy sessions fatigues the wrist when held at the rear for hours at a time.

It was actually a change from similar models (Stinger/SL series) that had always used slider or buttons on the side.

They now call them DS models meaning you decide rear or side switch.

The HL-4 is not a thrower by the way. It uses a frosted optic to provide even distribution of light. It's not a flooder either. It's just a very bright light that provides a real good blend of whopping output that when shined on nearby shiney optics does not self blind the user.

As an HL-4 user I was glad the 5 became a DS model.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi byk,

Thank you for that very informative response/information.

SixCats!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

When I first got an HL-4 I noticed shining it on nearby objects did not blind me. Shortly after I aimed it (at night) at my shiney white truck on high and from 3 feet away and didn't even squint.

Is this thing not very bright I thought, so I aimed it down my street and it brightly lit an area about the size of a football field.
Amazing!!

I have mine set to start on the very useable 60 lumen low with a 600 lumen medium that's used often. I rarely click it to high.

It touts 8 hours at 600 lumens by the way.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi lumen,

lumen asked : "Can't find any threads about the Protac HL-5X. Looks interesting, is it very very new?"

I suspect the ProTac HL-5X is rather new. The thing that is confusing me however is.....WHY ?

That is to say, WHY is the (new and improved ?) Streamlight HL-5X Flashlight LESS EXPENSIVE than the OLDER

model Streamlight HL-4X Flashlight ? I'm finding as much as a forty to fifty dollars difference between the two models.

SixCats!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I just read that in the case of the HL5 a quick press twice from off does strobe like old Stingers and Strions. So regardless of which of the three mode groups you have it set on, strobe is available as a separate feature.
Nice

Now why the 5 is less than the 4? I would speculate that since the HL4 was a new direction for Streamlight there was some R&D cost built in the price. With the HL5 incorparating stuff from former lights the cost to produce the HL5 did not include very much R&D cost.
Just speculation on my part.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thrunite catapult v6 is a great thrower under $100, it's a 26650 flashlight but it does go to show theirs other options.
Streamlights are more accessible locally for most, and really reliable