NEW Fenix E16 700 lumens (beamshots added)

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
I ordered this, being delivered tomorrow. I like the fact this one is neutral white and supposedly offers 700 lumens. I'm going to compare it to my Olight S1 mini. I'm curious to see how the beams differ being the Fenix uses a new type of lens (I'm sure its just a TIR). I just wish Fenix would stop using that silver colored clip! UGLY! https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e16-high-performance-edc-flashlight/

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: NEW Fenix E16 700 lumens

You know I have always liked Fenix lights. My Old school TK20 is a great outdoors light and built like a tank.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

Looks like a great light! I see one in my very near future too. I just got the promo email about it earlier today.

I've been carrying the similarly configured E15 in my pocket every day for a year and a half now, and have been more than satisfied with its performance, as well as the performance of the 16340 battery.

So the new E16 has 250 more lumens, a side switch, a magnetic base, is a half inch shorter, 8 grams lighter in weight, and has a cool clip that will work on a ball cap. At 700 Lumens, I'll bet it can be a handwarmer.

Let us know if you like it, but I'll probably order one anyway. I feel 99% sure it will rock.

JT

inspirit

Newly Enlightened

hahah, i also order one , and can't wait to open it.

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Looks like a nice little light, but as usual the magnet is a problem for me, with all the magnetic ID/security cards I need for work and my apartment building entrance.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEW Fenix E16 700 Lumens

I am thinking that it could be a nice cap light. I might be tempted to run a pair of them, side by side, on my baseball cap.

Last edited:

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
Re: NEW Fenix E16 700 Lumens

Just received mine in the mail today. Wow...this thing is small! Smaller than my Olight S1 mini which I didn't think was possible. I popped in a freshly charged Fenix 16340 700mAh battery and tested it out in my garage. The neutral white tint is VERY nice in my opinion but wow does this thing get very hot, very fast on turbo! The hot spot is much smaller compared to the Olight S1 but I suspect it throws farther (I'll test it out tonight). The UI is very nice and the metal copper colored disc button has a nice feel to it. Magnetic bottom is not super strong but stronger than my Olight S1. Fenix has a winner here for those looking for a VERY small but powerful light. I'm looking forward to testing it out more tonight. EDIT: I'm starting to get some flicker while in turbo mode...not sure if its the battery or the LED, also the light is actually too hot to hold while in turbo which kind of concerns me (yikes!). I'm going to switch batteries to see if that fixes the flickering while in turbo. EDIT 2: Okay its finally dark out here, I took both my Olight S1 mini and the new Fenix E16, both lights seem to have similar brightness levels, the Fenix has MUCH better color rendering, the NW is really nice compared to the standard white tint of the S1 mini. The Fenix has a much smaller and more focused beam, while the S1 Mini has wide spot and slightly more floodier beam. Both lights throw close to the same distance (to the naked eye). So...I think I'm going to return the Fenix, this thing gets WAY too hot once you click on turbo, I actually burned my finger just holding it; its that hot! I'm not sure if its just my light but the heat is simply unbearable. I'm curious if other people are having the same issue...its too bad really. Love the tint. As for the flickering on turbo, seems to be the battery struggling to provide enough amps, this light tripped back to high after a few seconds on turbo using my other Olight 16450 batteries. I ordered a pair of the new Fenix 16340 700 MAh (heavy load discharge) batteries that are shipping out the 21st, supposed to provide a solid/stable 2.5 amps which should help when used with this light. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Enlightened

Is the magnet removable? Hows 'bout some pics? Side by side w/ the S1 Mini and a few beam shot of each!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

Thanks for the review.

Ahh, so I was correct when I said it's probably a handwarmer.

Sounds like I may stick with my E15. As I look at the lumens / runtimes charts, I think I may like the E15 mode stages better.

I know that turbo isn't intended for continuous use, but maybe 700 lumens is a little too much for that size of light & battery? No where for the heat to go. On the E15, turbo at 450 lumens gets fairly warm, but I usually run it on medium / 50 lumens / 9.5 hrs and it's been a kick *** pocket light with great runtimes.

Dang, I sure like the hat clip though.

JT

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

Is the magnet removable? Hows 'bout some pics? Side by side w/ the S1 Mini and a few beam shot of each!

The magnet is not removable. I'll try and take some beam shots tonight. Basically the S1 has a huge pure white hotspot w/limited to no spill and the Fenix has a much smaller hotspot w/some fuzzy spill. I can't say I'm super impressed with the beam quality out of the Fenix, its not bad per say but doesn't seem like 700 lumens to me. I'm looking forward to seeing some other reviews and hopefully someone can do some real testing w/accurate numbers.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UI is very nice

Press-and-hold for on or off is usually an automatic pass for me, but with the types of switches found on these little S1 style lights, maybe it's not a bad idea.

I couldn't tell from the ad copy -- mode memory, or always come in on some certain mode?

thanks!

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

Press-and-hold for on or off is usually an automatic pass for me, but with the types of switches found on these little S1 style lights, maybe it's not a bad idea.

I couldn't tell from the ad copy -- mode memory, or always come in on some certain mode?

thanks!

Mode memory. Turns back on to whatever brightness level was last selected.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd also like some beamshots compared to the S1 Mini, since I'm considering one or the other to serve double duty as a cap light or clipped to the top of my back pocket.

The run times are sure a lot better with the CR123A than with the 16340.

I like the size, appearance and form factor.

What is the mode sequence?

Edit: After looking at the manual, it doesn't look like there's direct access to either low or turbo modes from off. Bummer.

Last edited:

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

Beamshots from about 8 feet away in my garage. Both lights on high in first one, both lights on medium in 2nd pic.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the beam shots. That E16 does have a relatively tiny and intense hot spot.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Why would the hotspot get tighter when going to high? In fact why does it change in size at all? Should just get brighter no???

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

Why would the hotspot get tighter when going to high? In fact why does it change in size at all? Should just get brighter no???

Its just the way the photo came out, in real life the hotspot is always about the same size on the E16. These are different type of LED's though for sure w/different style reflectors. I love Fenix lights but honestly not sure I like the beam pattern on the E16 not to mention how hot this thing gets. Just my opinion of course. I would love someone to do some real testing on the E16 w/real numbers.

PartyPete

Enlightened

Love the tint but it seems like the Olight has more of a floody, wall of light type beam, which I prefer in these small lights. Although the Fenix is likely more throwy so I guess some may find that ideal.

The E16 looks decent nonetheless but I think I'll reserve my final judgement after I see more beam shots and testing. I want to like it but the beam profile doesn't exactly match what I want.
Beamshots from about 8 feet away in my garage. Both lights on high in first one, both lights on medium in 2nd pic.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love the tint but it seems like the Olight has more of a floody, wall of light type beam, which I prefer in these small lights. Although the Fenix is likely more throwy so I guess some may find that ideal.

The E16 looks decent nonetheless but I think I'll reserve my final judgement after I see more beam shots and testing. I want to like it but the beam profile doesn't exactly match what I want.

Wow, although these new Fenix lights look to have been inspired by Olight's S series, the beam profile and tint are VERY different. I'm actually surprised the difference is THAT big, but I guess it's the result of Olight's TIR reflector spreading out the hot spot and combining it with the spill beam, into 1 solid beam. But as far as tints are concerned, either the Olight's is really blue, or the Fenix beam is REALLY yellow. That's about as warm as warm gets!