Good budget light with red lens

swannyj

Newly Enlightened
I've agreed to purchase lights with red lens for Girl Scouts doing a night hike. I'd like to stay around $25. each but may go more if necessary. I don't want to break the bank but I do want a decent light. Any suggestions appreciated.

judy

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get accessory kits for 2 AA Mini Maglites for around $5 or less that include red and blue filters and you can get a 97 lumen 2AA Mini Mag LED for around $20.

Another option is the Maglite 3 AAA ML50 LED, about $30 at Home Depot for a version that comes with colored lenses and a pocket clip.

Last is the old 2 D cell military angle head MX991/U flashlight comes with colored lenses that store in inside the light, I would recommend swapping out the original incandescent bulb for a 55 lumen Nite Ize drop in.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
leds do not work good with red filters, but if their goal not to illuminate but to be visible, it'll work, in that case you would be fine with old school incandescent 2aa\aaa mag lite, and filters, they would be within or below your budget, , if you need to actually make usable red light, you need one with red led, but such light aren't very common.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
What about a Nitecore Headlamp that has a red light option to it, including blinking red? Check out the NU10.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 250 lumen and 315 lumen Energizer Vision HD headlamps both have red LEDs. They are about $21 and $24 respectively and can be found in B&M stores as well as online. The Energizer Vision series headlamps offer decent quality lighting and take common batteries (3XAAA).The head strap can be removed if you want to use it as a hand held light instead of a headlamp. I have several of the 315 lumen models.

EDIT: Note that the prices I quoted are from an online retailer they may be significantly cheaper from a big retailer like Walmart. Also there are 4 different models but the two lowest output (cheaper) models DO NOT have the red LEDs. The two I mentioned DO have the red LEDs.

Last edited:

swannyj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up purchasing ultra fire lights but plan to take a look at the suggestions for future purchases.