Can you run a Maglite Solitaire Incandescent on 10440 batteries?

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
Just curious if it would destroy the bulb or just boost output?
Also, does a 5mm or 3mm led fit into the slots for the Xenon bulb?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried but I am 99% sure it would destroy the bulb. The voltage at startup would be 8.4 volts on 2 x 10440. 2 x AA would only be 3.4 volts. I know stepping up even 1 extra cell blows the bulb on other lights and the voltage is well over the addition of 1 extra cell.

Not sure about the LED question though.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solitaire is a single AAA cell light, so we are dealing with 4.2v instead of 8.4, but the result is still going to be the same - instaflash. You might be able to get by with using a 10440 in the LED version of the Solitaire, but that is not really recommended either. Even if nothing went up with the magic blue smoke right away, the least thing you would be doing is prematurely aging the electronics and the LED.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you could get a 3.6v bulb of the proper size yes.
but then you have extra heat in a light with lots of plastic that may not stand up to that.
i use a 10440 and an ebay hi cri with the flange ground off and opening the hole in the reflector.
you might try a yuji but it may or may not like this depending on what vf bin you get.
the ebay leds are 3.0-3.2 and do fine dd.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You would probably need a dropping resistor to run an incan bulb and most low power LEDs too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm going to try a Lamptronix minimag sized bi-pin and a LiPo4 in one. The reflector will need to be drilled out some.
But the reflector is made of the same material as minimags.. heck, all the way up to 6 and 7D Maglites. I got about 125 or so lumens from a ML25 running 2 LifPo's and a 4 cell bulb with no melting. Certainly a solitaire reflector should hold up to 15 to 25 lumens.

Yuji's will be way too fat. May as well not use a reflector in that case.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
drill reflector to clear 5mm led.
i dremel off the flange but that might not even be needed.
I'm going to try a Lamptronix minimag sized bi-pin and a LiPo4 in one. The reflector will need to be drilled out some.
But the reflector is made of the same material as minimags.. heck, all the way up to 6 and 7D Maglites. I got about 125 or so lumens from a ML25 running 2 LifPo's and a 4 cell bulb with no melting. Certainly a solitaire reflector should hold up to 15 to 25 lumens.

Yuji's will be way too fat. May as well not use a reflector in that case.