Help needed from the Battery Gurus.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I have a battery question i'm hoping someone can answer. I have a power chair that uses 2 gel lead acid cell 12 volt batts. My current batteries are dying and not holding a charge . new gel cell batts are running about 130.00 for a pair.
Can I substitute a Li Ion battery or pair of Li Ion batteries to replace them and if so would I still be able to use the same charger or would that have to be upgraded as well.
Newer mobility devices are moving away from the lead gel cells to Li Ion but was not sure If this was a possible upgrade.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a battery question i'm hoping someone can answer. I have a power chair that uses 2 gel lead acid cell 12 volt batts. My current batteries are dying and not holding a charge . new gel cell batts are running about 130.00 for a pair.
Can I substitute a Li Ion battery or pair of Li Ion batteries to replace them and if so would I still be able to use the same charger or would that have to be upgraded as well.
Newer mobility devices are moving away from the lead gel cells to Li Ion but was not sure If this was a possible upgrade.

What Ah are the batteries and what connectors do they have?

Replacing AGM/SLA batteries is idiot's work and you can get them for much cheaper than $65 a piece.

No, you won't be able to swap over to li-ions and use the same charger.

Take a picture of the OEM batteries and we can offer further help.

I use PowerSonic and Chrome batteries, in my little portable solar charging system and they've lasted a good six years.

Look on Ebay for batteries, or Google Chrome Batteries.

Chris

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, stick with the lead-acid batteries. They're cheaper than a similar capacity lithium-ion setup. But, as you note, if you're buying replacements from the company, you're probably getting ripped-off. Go to an automotive store and see if they have a SLA deep-cycle battery of similar size.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob,
I just PM'd You an importer in CA that can help You.
Yes You stick with the same type of battery.
What they don't t ell you is that there are different grades of these style of batteries.
Deal with a source that is familiar with them all and can guide Your replacement choice.
GL

IonicBond

Enlightened
There is only one sight in the world that caters to the DIY mobility / wheelchair user. Plenty of info about lead-acid batts, but their forte now is LiFePo4 builds.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/

The associated forum has real-world build-up, but most importantly is on how to do it SAFELY. Pay special attention to "Burgerman", who sits on top of the builds.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/viewforum.php?f=2

Be sure to read the threads on agm / gel batteries. The biggest problem is finishing the charge - most are killed prematurely.

The lithium battery-conversion thread has many years of experience behind it.

I consider this required reading for any mobility / wheelchair user. No, the op will not and does not sell / build anything for you.

Flashlights are one thing. Your butt is another. wheelchairdriver website is highly recommended.

Last edited: