Dynamo headlight dilemma...

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Hi, long time, no posting. So long I've had to recreate my account (probably due to GDPR), anyway...

I broke my Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo RT and I'm looking at is replacement...

But I'm struggling to decide.

I'm sticking with B&M, and have narrowed it to a choice of 2...

The "100 lux" IQ-X https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyn...t/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html?

Or the "90 lux" Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/179u.html?

I don't trust B&M's own beam shots and was wondering what you guys thought.

I don't take store in the rated output, and am more interested in a good even and wide field of view.

This leads me to lean more to the Luxos U, but not enough to make the decision.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these lights to help me decide, or suggest an alternative dynamo light? (MUST confirm to STVO or BS standards and be "road legal" in the UK.)

znomit

Enlightened
They're both a good upgrade over the Cyo (I went from Cyo to Cyo premium to IQ-X). I think the IQ-X is a little brighter and wider than the luxos.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have the IQ-X for a few months now. Field of view is good for me, although I wish the pattern was more even. There is a dark line/spot in the middle. But for city use it's perfect.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
They're both a good upgrade over the Cyo (I went from Cyo to Cyo premium to IQ-X). I think the IQ-X is a little brighter and wider than the luxos.

That's interesting, brighter I would expect, but wider? B&M's beam shots (which I have already said I don't trust) have that the other way round.

Have the IQ-X for a few months now. Field of view is good for me, although I wish the pattern was more even. There is a dark line/spot in the middle. But for city use it's perfect.
Interesting, that might be quite off putting.

I don't suppose anyone has any good quality pictures or video of their output, I've seen some on YouTube and I still can't decide.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and I found my old account! hadn't been closed after all - mods, you can kill the other account if you wish.

angerdan

Enlightened
Go for the 100lx IQ-X. It's a nice piece of engineering and offers much light for the buck.

formdeformed

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the IQ-X. I've had one for 2-3 years. Seems robust.
I also had a Luxos U. It was my first dynamo light. I think it actually had a nicer beam than the IQ-X.
However, I had the Luxos replaced under warranty after a few months, because it just quit working. Then, I burned out the second a while later when I had my bike upside down. Pretty certain water got in through the drain holes. So, my fault, but that's just not fool proof enough for this doofus.
Another friend had the Luxos as well, and it quit working for him mid ride one night.
Both of those Luxos were a few years ago, so it's likely they've reworked the model a bit.