(Review) Lumintop Tool AA 2.0

Mikelights

Newly Enlightened
Today we are taking a look at the Lumintop tool AA 2.0 which was sent me by Lumintop for product review, this is a 650 lm AA/14500 EDC light which houses a XP-L HD LED at 6500k. This is a great EDC light because of its size and output, also the availability to use nickel metal hydride or regular AA batteries is a great feature for people that don't have lithium cells. I can be purchased from Amazon directly from Lumintop's store for $17.99.

Purchase link: https://www.amazon.com/LUMINTOP-Tool-…

Watch and enjoy!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I just received my TWO new Lumintop AA Tool lights! Loving them! I dear say, if there is a better deal in the World of Flashlights, I'd like to know what that might be!

Tis' (in part) the reason I bought TWO Lumintop AA Tools. I am a BIG fan of the Lumintop AAA Tool owing (currently) three AAA Tools. In my mind, the AA Tool Flashlight

supporting BOTH (either/or) AA's or 14500's makes the AA Tool a "Must Have". Quality, Simple, Straight Forward and all for under twenty dollars! Now, I do indeed enjoy my

18650/CR123 Flashlights but (IMHO) if one doesn't (also) own a "COMMONLY" available type Battery Flashlight (i.e. AA/AAA) me thinks one isn't well prepared for emergencies.

That being said, I suspect most everyone here a CPF owns a AA and AAA Flashlight.

SixCats!

Last edited:

Mikelights

Newly Enlightened
These are nifty flashlights huh, the price is great and the size is awesome! I will have to pick up a AAA version and see what it's like.

thanks for watching!

Hi Mike,

I just received my TWO new Lumintop AA Tool lights! Loving them! I dear say, if there is a better deal in the World of Flashlights, I'd like to know what that might be!

Tis' (in part) the reason I bought TWO Lumintop AA Tools. I am a BIG fan of the Lumintop AAA Tool owing (currently) three AAA Tools. In my mind, the AA Tool Flashlight

supporting BOTH (either/or) AA's or 14500's makes the AA Tool a "Must Have". Quality, Simple, Straight Forward and all for under twenty dollars! Now, I do indeed enjoy my

18650/CR123 Flashlights but (IMHO) if one doesn't (also) own a "COMMONLY" available type Battery Flashlight (i.e. AA/AAA) me thinks one isn't well prepared for emergencies.

That being said, I suspect most everyone here a CPF owns a AA and AAA Flashlight.

SixCats!

markr6

Flashaholic
I had high hopes for this, but the UI was a deal breaker. I took a chance anyway for $18. I like almost everything about it, but the memory mode is worthless. Turning on a light and not knowing what mode it will start in doesn't work for me. Then you have to cycle thru all the modes...whoops, there's the useless strobe. Couldn't get any worse.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I had high hopes for this, but the UI was a deal breaker. I took a chance anyway for $18. I like almost everything about it, but the memory mode is worthless. Turning on a light and not knowing what mode it will start in doesn't work for me. Then you have to cycle thru all the modes...whoops, there's the useless strobe. Couldn't get any worse.

Hmm, when I shut off my Tool 2.0 in High (650-lumen) mode, it comes back on in the same mode. Never fails. You need to let the light be off for at least 2 seconds instead of immediately turning it back on.

markr6

Flashaholic
Hmm, when I shut off my Tool 2.0 in High (650-lumen) mode, it comes back on in the same mode. Never fails. You need to let the light be off for at least 2 seconds instead of immediately turning it back on.

Yeah that's the problem. So one day or one week later there's no telling what mode it will turn on at...unless you have a great memory! But keeping track of modes on flashlights when I turn them off is not on my priority list at all.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Yeah that's the problem. So one day or one week later there's no telling what mode it will turn on at...unless you have a great memory! But keeping track of modes on flashlights when I turn them off is not on my priority list at all.

I guess your best bet then is to leave your Tool (& other lights) on "low" when you shut them off so you always know THAT will be the mode it starts with when you turn it on!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very helpful review, thanks!

At under $20, it sounds like this light is a good value for the price.

markr6

Flashaholic
I guess your best bet then is to leave your Tool (& other lights) on "low" when you shut them off so you always know THAT will be the mode it starts with when you turn it on!

Yeah, what a PITA! Another step just to use a simple light. The one time you forget and go to use it at night expecting low...

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am truly loving my new AA Lumintop Flashlights. I think the Rubber "glow in the dark" lens cover is
Brilliant%2521.gif

Should I need to get up out of Bed in the middle of the night, I just completely "Palm" the little AA Lumintop (set to it's lowest setting) and power on the Clicky light

(for about three SECONDS) and then shut off light. By doing this, the (included) "glow in the dark" Rubber lens cover glows brightly enough that I can move about in the dark

without problem by soft Green (Alien like) glow of light which allows me to negotiate a dark Room. BRILLIANT!

SixCats!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

I'm with Mark6 on the UI.

I much prefer the UI on the Utorch UT01, which has direct access to either low or the memorized mode from off.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
The new 2.0 version is awesome. I measured nearly 360lm with eneloops. The v1 version barely reached 100lm with nimh

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any problem with the UI, but then most of my lights are Nitecore, and their UI is very similar. I do have to admit that at first I was trying to figure out why Tool wan't doing M-L-H like the Tool AAAs. But after I dug out the manual and read how it was supposed to go I am fine. I started out with an NiMH cell (Amazon Basic Black) and wasn't impressed by how close all the modes seem to be. Last night I switched to 14500, and WOW! If I didn't have a couple of Sofirn C01s coming I would definitely consider getting another Tool AA. Does anyone know where one can purchase the magnetic tail cap?

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
bil,

what do you have, the 2.0 version or the 1st? The 2.0 is really much better. I should have bought two of these (bought a lumintop keychain light.) The magnetic tailcap is available if you click option two.

Maybe you private message the vendor if he will sell tailcap only.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2.0 version. I bought it on Amazon in one of their deal deals, and didn't see anything about the magnetic tailcap. There still isn't anything on Amazon about it either.

What option two are you referring to?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the v2.0 and very impressed with the Turbo output on AA Eneloop. UI with memory works fine for me as I always leave my lights set to the same mode for next use.

Coupled with the GID diffuser, this is will be replacing my current vacation travel light as I can find the AA factor everywhere internationally. And at this price I don't mind banging it around or replacing it.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
at aliexpress lumintop official store. You will see two options.
The two options I see are the light by itself, and the light with the extra magnetic tail cap. I can't find anywhere where one can purchase just the magnetic tail cap. I may just find a nice round magnet and epoxy it to the switch cap. It should still allow the switch to work that way.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had three of these lights and ended up selling them all. I think the light is ok for the price. Quality is good. I just don't like many of the single AA lights that have 14500 capability...........because while it may have a decent boost circuit for AA, most of them switch to PWM or something that is fairly noisy for the higher voltage 14500. But I guess I would be happy with just an NiMh AA in it but it has too many modes that are too close together and has the strobe mixed in. If it was like the Fenix E12, I'd love it because of the better LED in the Tool AA 2.0.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will agree that as an AA cell light it leaves much to be desired. Three modes would have been more appropriate if that was all it was. But when used with a 14500 it makes a decent little light that would be great as a pocket or keychain light. I just did a quick and dirty fan test and can see no evidence of PWM. I'm liking mine, but since I already have several Tool AAAs I don't think I will be buying another.