Review: Olight S1R Baton II (EDC, 1xIMR16340, Magnetic Charging)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Olight S1R Baton II from Olight for the review.

Also, Olightworld updated the promotion of the S1R Baton II

S1RII MAP:$64..99
1. Date: September 28th whole day
2. Get 25% off for 1pcs; 1pc S1R:$48.74 save $16.25
3. Get 30% off for 2pcs; 2pcs S1RII:$90.98 save $39
4. Give 1pc Free H05 over $99

The S1R Baton II is the new, updated version of the S1R Baton. It is still an EDC light, featuring a XM-L2 cool white emitter, powered by an IMR Li-ion 16340 battery, rechargeable via magnetic cable.

The S1R Baton II comes in this box, very elegantly packaged. Very detailed instructions about using the light for the first time, and a thank you message from Olight Staff.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_01.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_02.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_03.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_04.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_05.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_06.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_07.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_08.jpg

The S1R Baton II comes with the IMR 16340 battery, charging cable, battery case, manual, lanyard, pouch.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_09.jpg

Here you can see the yellow spacer that prevents parasitic drain and accidental activation in the box. Also notice that the S1R Baton II is composed only of head and body, no tailcap.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_10.jpg

Here with the IMR 16340 proprietary cell.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_11.jpg

The compact S1R Baton II in hands
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_12.jpg

The XM-L2 emitter is in a TIR optic and the blue bezel has engraved the output, 1000 Lumens, and the characteristic of the LED: 6500K, 70CRI.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_13.jpg

One difference from the previous version is the knurling, more "heavy" and textured. It surely provides more grip. Also, on the electronic switch there is a multi color LED that acts as a battery meter.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_14.jpg

Also, the electronic switch has a multicolor LED in it to indicate the state of the battery: Green, Yellow, Red.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_32.jpg

The tailcap still hosts the magnetic contact system for charging the battery.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_15.jpg

And allows the light to be attached to metallic surfaces.
In this pic you can see the two way clip with the lanyard hole (useful if you want to use a lanyard carrying the light in one direction, there is another lanyard hole at the tailcap if you want to use it while carrying in the opposite direction).
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_16.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_17.jpg

Despite the initial look, the magnetic charging cable is different:
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_18.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_20.jpg

The colored LED is now smaller and spot-like. It gets red when charging and green when charged.
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_19.jpg

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall.
The beam is the classic one of the TIR optics: big bright spot (that in this sample is not squared as in other Olight optics, but circular) and big bright spill. Suited for close distances
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_26.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_27.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_28.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_29.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_30.jpg

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_31.jpg

Output and runtime
Olight_S10R_Baton_II_21.png

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_22.png

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_23.png

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_24.png

Olight_S10R_Baton_II_25.png

Thermal video (currently uploading, check in a while)

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The S1R Baton II has great regulation on tested levels. It gets quite hot on high and turbo mode, but it surely packs a punch with more than 1000 Lumens from a small EDC light.

As I said in the other review of the previous version, the charging system is very easy to use and practical… But it only works with proprietary Olight's battery. If you have several Olight's flashlights, this feature won't be an issue because Olight uses the same charging cable for multiple lights. The light can still be used with non-proprietary standard 16340 batteries, as long as they are IMR.

The changes compared to the previous version are welcome IMHO: more grippy knurling, better clip, circular spot, battery gauge. The only thing I'm not crazy for is the LED indicator on the charging cable. I would have liked it a bit bigger and brighter (but definitely not as bright as the old ones).

I would like to have this light available in a NW tint (maybe there is a new release planned?) and with a sheath.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera, the luxmeter, the thermal camera; Carmen Baz for the proofreading and translation; Zampa for the tripod.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a concern with these Olight magnetic charging lights. Is there a possibility of shorting it out, if the exposed metal(terminals??) on the rear of the tailcap come in contact with a solid metal object. Is that a legitimate concern, or is it not a problem to cross those exposed metal 'parts' with a flat metal object(large coins, keys etc)? Also, is the switch stiff enough to resist accidental activation in your pocket? Is it a durable switch that will last a long time?

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
I can't reply directly about the shorting issue, although I think this potential issue has already been discussed in the past with a diod in the tailcap... If I remember correctly.

The switch cover I bet to be as strong as all the other olight's. I never had a problem with any of them.

Also, Olightworld updated the promotion of the S1R Baton II
S1RII MAP:$64..99
1. Date: September 28th whole day
2. Get 25% off for 1pcs; 1pc S1R:$48.74 save $16.25
3. Get 30% off for 2pcs; 2pcs S1RII:$90.98 save $39
4. Give 1pc Free H05 over $99

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a concern with these Olight magnetic charging lights. Is there a possibility of shorting it out, if the exposed metal(terminals??) on the rear of the tailcap come in contact with a solid metal object. Is that a legitimate concern, or is it not a problem to cross those exposed metal 'parts' with a flat metal object(large coins, keys etc)? Also, is the switch stiff enough to resist accidental activation in your pocket? Is it a durable switch that will last a long time?

I carried an S1R for over a year, and never once had a problem with a short. I also carried the 10440 Titanium rechargeable light that had a magnet keychain mount(when you pulled it off the keyring Mount it came on if you set it up that way, it was a twisty 2 level light and I carried it for two years and never a short. On the S1R, I used the lockout function to keep it from accidentally coming on...

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
If it's anything like the S1R , it certainly is a very durable switch. Mine withstood 2 minutes of being in a fire, then being filled with water (accidentally). It still works on.

And no, I've never had any problem with the exposed contacts. One is quite deeply recessed into the tail cap, meaning it is harder to short circuit.

Last edited:

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i got mine in the mail and its great. looks like a great edc light.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
The light can still be used with non-proprietary standard 16340 batteries, as long as they are IMR.

it does not need to be an IMR cell. It will work on a primary CR123A. It just won't hit the higher modes that most users rarely use anyway. I rarely go above 300 on my S1R, even then 60 lumens is more than enough 95% of the time. The primary will handle all of that.

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine, initial impressions jive with what we've been told so far.. a bit tighter spot than the original light, and I find the switch a tad less intuitive to hit because it's already small, and down a bit "deeper" than the previous version so you've got to really push into it. The knurling is awesome, as advertised. Hoping to have this little guy handy for a long time.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Got mine too, nice light, Serious pocket rocket on turbo but it's really a show off mode. All of the other modes will be mostly used, except for strobe.

Xerack

Newly Enlightened
I ordered 2 of these, one for me, the other as a gift. I have a couple of Orbtronic RCR123 700 mAh's that I couldn't get to work with this. They tend to be slightly taller that the olight battery that comes with. I think it has something to do with the ring on the + side of the olight battery. I wasn't able to charge the olight battery in the charger I had either (MiBoxer C4 - again I'm guessing it has something to do the ring on the + side). Or maybe I'm just doing it all wrong - LoL. Anyways, I like this little guy and wanted\needed a nice compact flashlight for EDC, and I'm figuring it should work with a rechargeable battery pack.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know if you can charge the proprietary battery with the standard Olight USB battery charger (the one with the _two_ magnetic terminals for charging most any battery)?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see why the original magnetic USB charger would not work on these new Batons but not as well as the new design magnetic USB that comes with these new ones. The BOTTOM of the new Batons has a different design. Looks to be more solid and well thought out than the old version. The proprietary cell these come with 10C? Are there other brands of IMR cells that are capable of 10C with possibly a bit more capacity?

The 5 special edition versions of this light go on sale on the 23rd. From what I have studied about them I will have all 5 of them a week after they go on sale. Two way clip! More aggressive but not too aggressive knurling, I REALLY like that they put a battery light indicator in the middle of the switch. I also RESPECT Olight for their HONEST ANSI RATINGS. Such as 1000 lumens for 1.5 minutes then dropping to 300. Same goes for the other modes but Eco. NO other manufacturer actually has manuals with numbers that reflect TRUE output run times like that.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just turned on mine to medium and put it on a flat bare metal surface which the magnet in it grabs onto. No problems - it did not short out. I think the center terminal in the tail is slightly recessed so it won't short out. Either that or there is a protection diode in it to prevent it shorting.

Tac700

Newly Enlightened
I just turned on mine to medium and put it on a flat bare metal surface which the magnet in it grabs onto. No problems - it did not short out. I think the center terminal in the tail is slightly recessed so it won't short out. Either that or there is a protection diode in it to prevent it shorting.

(Former lurker, newly registered—Hello everyone)

I ordered an S1Rii Ti (Winter) from the recent flash sale and have been nothing short of blown away by this little light.

Unfortunately, I can confirm the above is an issue. Carrying a 1.25" metal keyring in my pocket along with the S1Rii lens up and clipped to my pocket was just the right combination to cause the metal keyring to contact the terminal with the body. Luckily I don't think it had been in contact long, but the keyring and body of the light was hot enough to burn my finger as I reached into my pocket. The plastic protector around the cell's terminal has been deformed and it appears that the plastic inside the body has melted. A small amount of that has even melted out from around the exposed terminal on the bottom of the light and can be seen on the exterior of the light now. The wrapper of the cell has been compromised.

I'm going to reach out to Olight about it, but definitely be wary of metal objects in your pocket!