[Review] Lumintop Tool 1xAAA XP-G2 Clicky (3 years of use)

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
For a review with better formatting, please go to https://lightsandgadgets.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/lumintop-tool-aaa-clicky-review/

[This light was not provided for me to review. I bought it, loved it, and wanted to share about it. This is also my first flashlight review so I welcome feedback or a like and subscribe on my blog!]

Introduction
What was I looking for?
This is almost the perfect EDC AAA clicky flashlight around. I was looking for a light I can bring with me everywhere, everyday. And it needs to have a tailcap clicky because I was sick of twisty heads. I bought this in August 2015 and it's been clipped in my pocket almost everyday, which explains the nicks in the coating.

What do I love about it?
I love it for its brightness, form factor, and top notch quality. I used to have the Olight i3s EOS AAA twisty keychain light but I have sold that because it just doesn't get enough use as compared to my Lumintop Tool. This is not a sponsored post - I just want to share my love for this little pocket rocket!

[Note: the tiny little clip at the tailend of the flashlight does not come with it. I attached it there so I can clip it to my pants pocket]

20180919_163052.jpg

This was the packaging of the light - not fancy, entirely functional. My version came with just 2 spare O rings but the newer models come with an interchangeable magnetic tailcap.

20180902_171732.jpg

Look at how well it fits in my palm.

Specs
These specs are provided by the manufacturer, and can be found here: http://www.lumintop.com/tool-aaa.html

Dimensions
Length: 3.16" / 8.02cm
Body Diameter: 0.56" / 1.42cm
Weight: 0.53oz / 15.02g (without battery)

Material
Aircraft-grade aluminium alloy with hard anodization

MSRP
~$18 USD (I bought it for SGD $35 from Fstoplights in Singapore)

LED
CREE XP-G2 R5 LED (CW)

Battery
1 x AAA battery (they don't recommend using a 10440 in it but I have always used that and my light is still working fine. I never ever let it overheat)

Operating Voltage
0.9~1.5V

Modes/Output
[NiMH AAA] 3 Modes M-L-H:
32 lumens (4 Hours) / 5 lumens (60 Hours) / 110 lumens (30 Minutes)

[LiON 10440] 3 Modes M-L-H:
235 lumens / 59 lumens / 390 lumens

[Note: I did not measure these output levels myself as I do not have a light meter. I obtained these numbers from this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?426720-Lumintop-tool-10440-or-not Post #7]

Max Range/Throw
~ 47m (using NiMH AAA, more if you are using 10440)

PWM or CC
Constant current circuit (however, I do hear a whining sound on Medium and Low mode, but only when I put the light right beside my ear)

Waterproof
IPX8 (waterproof up till 2m, for 30 mins)

Lockout
Tailcap/mechanical Lock-out

Tailstand
No (due to the protruding tailcap clicky)

Lanyard Attachment
Yes, 2 attachment points but lanyard not provided

20180902_171615.jpg

Quality
Right out of the box, I remember getting a good quality flashlight with

• Well-greased threads
  • Responsive, tactile tailcap clicky
  • Strong, reversible clip
  • Clear, legible printing on the light in crisp white

3 years on, I still have difficulty removing the clip with ease because it has retained its 'grip' so well. Also, I have never had the need to replace the tailcap rubber and O rings. The light is still waterproof (I tested it when I dunked it in a fountain to look for something that I dropped inside). It fits so well in my palms and the clicky response has never failed me in any occasions I have used it over the past 3 years.

20180902_171348.jpg

20180902_171531.jpg

Well-centred LED with orange peel reflector

20180902_171252.jpg

UI
The flashlight has 3 modes. From off, hard press the tailcap once to turn it on. It will come on in Medium. Soft press to cycle to Low, then High then Medium again.
Medium → Low → High
Hard press to switch off the light. There is no mode memory, but if you turn on again within 3 seconds, it will go back to the next mode after the mode you left it at. E.g. switch off in Medium, turn on in Low.

This light has no strobe, beacon, SOS or moonlight mode as it was made to be an easy to use 3 mode light. I do wish that there is a moonlight mode (<1 lumen) so I can use it in total darkness without lighting up the entire room. Some of you might want a hidden Strobe/SOS mode for emergencies but I've never had the need for it and I do wish you have a larger secondary light for those emergency situations.

When I first used the light, I hated that it came on in Medium but then I realised that Lumintop made it such that it came on with a very usable amount of light. When I passed the light to my friends (non flashlight enthusiasts), they didn't realise there were other modes so Medium was just right.

Beamshots
Taken on a Samsung Galaxy S8 set to manual mode: ISO 800, 1/15. Curtains were about 5m away. Level of brightness in the photos are very similar to what I saw with my eyes.

20180920_011458.jpg

Medium mode

20180920_011503-01.jpeg

Low mode

20180920_011509-01.jpeg

High mode

20180920_011225.jpg

Photo of the beam profile to show you the hotspot and the flood

20180902_174853.jpg

I found that the cover of an old chapstick fits perfectly on the head as a diffuser, creating a nice beam, perfect for tent or bedside illumination.

Pros & Cons
Pros

• Small light which makes it great for EDC
  • Insane output on 10440
  • Fantastic finish and strong material
  • Responsive tactical clicky
  • Strong clip
  • Great price

Cons

• No moonlight mode
  • Cannot tailstand
  • No lanyard provided
  • No diffuser provided
  • L-M-H mode cycle would be better for some users
  • Lack of NW option

Conclusion
In conclusion, I am still in awe of this light that I've EDC-ed for 3 years. I did not imagine how much I would enjoy it when I was searching for a AAA clicky that could take a 10440. Lumintop was a brand that was fairly unheard of back then but I can now attest to its durability, performance and awesome price points (not just for this light, but for all their lights in general). There are definitely areas to improve on, as pointed out in the 'Cons' section above but these are minor issues that I am nitpicking on. However, if they can come out with a new version that addresses whatever I've mentioned, I would gladly pick one up since it will be the perfect AAA clicky EDC!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi ger,

Let me put it this way.....I (currently) own THREE Lumintop AAA Tool Flashlights! Yes, I LOVE them that much and, I will more than likely purchase even more AAA Tools.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had mistakenly left one of my AAA Tool lights in the side pocket of my Cargo pants which went though the Wash. Guess what ? NOT a problem!

Light works perfectly and it NEVER leaked! I ALWAYS carry a AAA Tool on my person (even if) I carry (on my person) a larger AA/14500 light or a 18650 Light in a BOB.

Oooh, speaking of 14500 Lights, I just last week received TWO new Lumintop AA (2.0) Tool 14500/AA Lights! I'm LOVING them (ESPECIALLY) at their BARGAIN price!

SixCats!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I can't say enough about how fond I am of Lumintop's Tool AAA and their Tool 2.0.

I have noticed one negative to the Tool AAA, though: parasitic drain.

Is it just my light or are others having this issue as well the Tool AAA?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Let,

Ummmm, I haven't notice any issues (parasitic drain) that I am aware of with my AAA Tools.

SixCats!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say enough about how fond I am of Lumintop's Tool AAA and their Tool 2.0.

Since there is no memory, and the switch is totally mechanical, there should not be any parasitic drain. Can you describe why you believe there is parasitic drain?

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Hi ger,

Let me put it this way.....I (currently) own THREE Lumintop AAA Tool Flashlights! Yes, I LOVE them that much and, I will more than likely purchase even more AAA Tools.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had mistakenly left one of my AAA Tool lights in the side pocket of my Cargo pants which went though the Wash. Guess what ? NOT a problem!

Light works perfectly and it NEVER leaked! I ALWAYS carry a AAA Tool on my person (even if) I carry (on my person) a larger AA/14500 light or a 18650 Light in a BOB.

Oooh, speaking of 14500 Lights, I just last week received TWO new Lumintop AA (2.0) Tool 14500/AA Lights! I'm LOVING them (ESPECIALLY) at their BARGAIN price!

SixCats!

Hey SixCats, thanks for dropping by.

You're right! They're hardy! Got a reply to my thread on BLF and someone mentioned that theirs had a few cars roll over it and the battery tube was slightly deformed but it still runs!!

geraldL

Newly Enlightened

Hi Sir, I don't think I experience parasitic drain in mine but I guess to be sure of that, you can try unscrewing the tailcap a little. Cheers!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't parasite drain usually on electronic side switch like Zebralight, Manker, etc...
Yes, since the switch physically disconnects in this light there is no possible parasitic drain unless YOU(proverbial) leave it on.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Operating range can't be 0.9~1.5 if it takes 10440 no?

Good catch! That was what I got from their website, and I believe it's to 'dissuade' people from using 10440s in them. In fact, they label 10440s as incompatible with the Lumintop Tool. However, we all know that they run perfectly fine, and make them tiny pocket rockets :)

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just wondering, have any of you managed to unscrew the pill of the Lumintop tool AAA? And in which direction should I twist it?

I've tried both directions to no avail and I'v scratched up the underside of the pill quite a bit.

XsiDseQjGbVjYhm6ak6yotqJt9VVQsccjCMdqd2HtH5SezxXID8uwLiU8Qe4Zn_HSKbr7WfBHeiF3kbVs1ieBohXKogFiCP39eKDX9vnf2_9AiVRc0N4qizx3okYDIAast79CmsSBHJBA6RIrW2Nr_e5_RFvn5O5AI5joYM1nGAbvO_2pR5W0Sv8BdqsZYhmQoF13oUq2JDwgTrKS6HrMPVUFjZXVmPyg18fdbgPK6Lo2wvvCgXCO0IZDrBJ1fAMnPQW8__hl-Nl3eYrm-rTMzysHGuRigCxvIts2da_bztChN0N-hW1KUPToacRVm-Cv8lz6U0s3zKyFp1irgIrhDVCenFEA75qPTTRMX14FSIXBONPsDzE2YI19x5i5ySW_OW--QRjs4DUX1z9Aw78eijTZ4hCcxb7EPvMpjWiREtzJm6dmmeF8lpKdW2mTmtfF6SE_uhH6SykO-A9ZAt6evnvJlkGfqasT0IOUL-yZNHkYciNrAGD485oLKiqPWrDU_-xWekmORjHAknfOL0H47VomWTDY2b2qKnxiqMiFPacztGIXVUey7J-qwHsBcBIGFH0sIquFTbM_sGpk7CSuHWMQqiyIqS-pAN5dpGXVuFLCBJ8v5MV9sNoL7P67RXERaVG7pqvI7zRCq-EPVe_d3MsA5M65EbMgRBEOAg2cl-uyN_--fqxWnHi=w663-h883-no

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ger,

Whoa! Why screw around with the light ?

SixCats!

Why not? they are fun little lights to mod. You can emitter swap them easy and you change the driver pretty easy. I made my own Toolvn with an XPL Hi 3000k and it's nice. As for the pill, often times the pill is glued in and heating it will help.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi stat,

Well.....I guess if one is someone who likes to "mod" things, then OK. Me, I'm just not that kind of "Hands on" type of Guy, heck, give me an ANVIL and a Rubber Mallet and I'll F**K it up lol.

SixCats!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Toolvn XPL HI 5000K about 3 years ago and its always in my pocket (or clipped to my belt loop in a cordura case). With some extra batteries it's also become my default travel light. Picked up a stock model too for knockaround use.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Since there is no memory, and the switch is totally mechanical, there should not be any parasitic drain. Can you describe why you believe there is parasitic drain?

Here is why I believe there is parasitic drain.

When I go to bed, after I shut off the overhead light, I turn on the Flip it light until I craw into bed. Then that goes off and I turn the Tool AAA on for a few minutes, in its lowest mode, for no more than 3 minutes tops, while I get set up in bed to make my morning list on my iTouch. I turn off the TOOL AAA to make that list.

I just can't believe that after 3 weeks or 21-nights of just 3 minutes tops, the battery is dead. And this is not the first time.

Am I miscalculating here, or is this an example of parasitic drain? Thanks in advance for your comments.