Head lamp with removable 18650 and infi adjustable dial

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Good morning all,

Well, just as the title indicates i am searching for a specific light. I am basically looking for similar specs to the SureFire Maximus, but - I would like the removable battery, and a waterproof rating. (More than a water resistant rating - that is..) Other features that are important are an infi dial adjustment, and hopefully a max brightness of 800-1000. I would prefer a light that doesn't use pwm, but that may be a tall order.. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging those requirements (headlamp, 1x18650, infinite levels) into my database finds just 1 light: the Nitecore HC90. It is a little older (XM-L2) and not inexpensive ($100). Decently waterproof with the usual IPX8 to 2 meters rating. 900 lumens so nails that requirement too. Here is a review of it from a fellow CPFer. The brightness adjustment is a slider instead of a dial but I think that is close enough and probably easier to operate with gloves.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info parametrek - that plastic slider looks a bit delicate. You mentioned you have a database of headlamps - do you have anything that maybe similar with a bit more robust design? The Sure Fire meets every requirement that i am seeking, but the battery is not user replaceable..

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the Imalent HR20 XP-l is also - a good contender - Does anyone own this light? If so what are the impressions?

parametrek

Enlightened
If you are willing to compromise that opens a lot of options. Obviously not replaceable battery. There are lights with push-button ramping but they don't use 18650. For example the Thrunite TH20. And there are lights with a rotary switch but modes. Acebeam H10, Acebeam H15. Compromising on battery type and modes gives the Petzl Pixa 1/2/3, Petzl Strix.

The Imalent HR20 is probably the closest light on the market. I haven't been particularly impressed with Imalent's quality control. There is a good review of the HR20 out there from zakwilson and he noted poor anodization that made the light flicker and an incorrectly sewn headband.

Zak

Enlightened
I have the HR20. It's a cheap light. The fact that it's cheap shows. There's PWM (but it's pretty fast). The lowest mode doesn't compare favorably to the true sub-lumen modes Zebralight and Armytek have. I don't trust its waterproofing.

I use mine on occasion. It still works. Swapping the emitter to a Nichia 319A made it nicer, but it wasn't a fun swap. Overall rating: fine if you like the feature set (and I do), but don't pay more than $30 for it.

captain_oblivious

Newly Enlightened
May not make a difference but I seem to recall that the older Surefire Maximus with 500 Lumens was IPX7 instead of the current 1000, which is only IPX4. Still doesn't change the fact it doesn't use 18650 batteries.

allangalbraith

Newly Enlightened
Honestly they HC90 is a really good option, I had similar requirements when looking for a headlamp and ended up with the HC90 and couldn't be happier with it. I especially like the slider verses a dial because I find when using a dial it always tended to moved the beam downward and then I had to readjust. Overall I would highly recommend the Nitecore even if it is a bit pricey

Last edited:

raymond~

Newly Enlightened
The HC-90 is showing 'discontinued' on a few sites so perhaps you'll be lucky to find it at discount.
I've owned a half dozen headlamps over 30 yrs for hiking and like the HC-90 the best.

(really?...I've only posted several times in 12 yrs?)

Poppy

Flashaholic
It appears that the Imalent HR20 XP-l is also - a good contender - Does anyone own this light? If so what are the impressions?
Here is a good review of the HR20
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ew-Imalent-HR20-XP-L-HI-Rechargeable-Headlamp

I bought it in part based upon this review.
I'm not crazy about it. In part because I am not crazy about the L shaped design.

The LED is too close to my forehead for my liking. I used it one night, and there were a lot of little flying insects right in the beam of the light, or there was a lot of moisture and dust in the air. I also had a Crelant CH10 (similar to the Jet Beam HC20 ) in my pocket and tried that instead. Its hard to believe that with the LED less than an inch farther out from my head that there could have been such a difference in the glare back.

Also, I found the HR20 impossible to operate with gloves on. The on-off switch is too darn small, and it takes two hands to operate it, One to hold the light in place, and the other to push the button.