Am I the only one who just wants another Quark?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to the Quark Clicky?

Here I am looking for a new pocket light again and all I keep thinking is, where can I get a new Quark?

Not only do I not need a 1000 lumen pocket light, I don't want a 1000 lumen pocket light. I don't want a 500 lumen pocket light. I don't want a 300 lumen pocket light.

IT'S A POCKET LIGHT ! It's not meant to light up a football stadium. It's a personal task light. I wan't efficiency and runtime. I don't need more than 100 lumens on high. A sub lumen moonlight and about 10 lumens on medium. That's my dream flashlight. Oh, and it has to be high cri. I won't buy anything that's not high cri. There's no valid reason not to.

I've been pouring over the flashlight vendors websites and I've come to the conclusion that my Quark 123 Clicky with it's high cri xpg 3700k tint emitter is still better than anything else on the market!

Rant over. Thank you.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff MDC would be a fine choice. MDC's with a neutral tint are available directly from the Malkoff website. Although they are actually quite nice, they are not technically high CRI. Check out Illumination Supply for the exclusive run of Nichia MDC's.

Alternatively, you might consider an HDS.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might get your wish sir. Isn't Prometheus working on re-releasing some Quarks? Also you could give the Zebralight Sc53c a try, or it's smaller 123 brother. Hi cri and you can program it to basically the exact outputs that you stated.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso, you are not the only one. In addition, I don't want to pay $300 -or even $115 - for a flashlight to get me those things. I also don't want to be a test pilot for a future "all worked out" flashlight. I didn't have to do it when I bought my Quarks then. Why on earth should I have to do it now?

Funny now how far ahead of his flashlight time DC was with FourSevens...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sub lumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now. As far as I've read the original AA had a sublumen mode but the new ones don't.

I have several Zebralights. An SC5, SC53, H53 and H600 (i think). They are reasonably nice lights. I've never had one break, but then I only use them around the house. They just don't inspire a hard use robustness with all the press fit parts. I'm actually considering an SC64 right now.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sublumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now.
Use a red (or neutral density) filter ?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on Quarks years ago. My complaints:

1. Output not that great. Though, I gather this isn't an issue for you.

2. Very inefficient on maximum (the other modes were fine).

3. Cool white only. Yuck.

4. Poor UI. The tactical only allowed you to use 2 modes, and the pro grouped strobes and blinkies with the regular group so you had to step through them. Grrrrr.

Once I started buying Zebralights, they made the Quarks obsolete IMO. There are also several other brands that are better value than the Quarks.

That said, I do still occasionally use my old Quarks. They're mostly used for things like a glove-box light or toolbox light.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lack of sub lumen output on the MDCs has bummed me out for a while. I'm not sure why that can't get ironed out, or why they still advertise them as sub lumen. I haven't torture tested a zebra but the hardcore users seems to stand by their robustness.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try swapping out the XPG for a Nichia 219. Then add a forward clicky switch and the Quark is transformed.
I have a 123 Ti with this setup and it has become one of my favorites. Oh, and a nitecore style pocket clip....

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about the original Quark or the redesigned ones that came to be because of the Surefire lawsuit?

Eagletac's D25 series is pretty similar to the original Quarks and can be found with a high CRI Nichia 219C.

BrisketBBQ

Newly Enlightened
The MDC's are nice. I've looked at them a long time. But there's a reason I don't have any Malkoff pocket lights. None of them have a true sub lumen moonlight mode. At least not any that you can buy now. As far as I've read the original AA had a sublumen mode but the new ones don't.
The current, 9.24.18, Malkoff MDC HA 1AA is .3 in lowlow, one of three modes. I've had one for a couple of months and often find myself using it instead of flipping a light switch or turning on a lamp.

My EDC is a Malkoff MDC HA TAC 1CR123, the MDC 1AA gets used mostly at home. If we are going to a restaurant, party or place where I might need just a bit of light I'll carry both. The MDC HA TAC 1CR123 starts at 250 lumens, the MDC HA 1AA starts at .3 lumens.

Last edited:
No, you're not the only one who just wants another Quark.

VkXG60k.jpg

Soon, hopefully, to be released by Jason Hui, the new owner of Foursevens.

3XHRPN3.jpg

~ Chance

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, these last two are wonderful. Any preliminary data on them? They look like AA, 2xAA lights. If those be in Titanium...:drool:

Last edited:
Damn, these last two are wonderful. Any preliminary data on them? They look like AA, 2xAA lights. If those be in Titanium...:drool:

Below is the accompanying information.

Thinking about going two tone on Quarks. HAIII Natural for the main color and black accents. Also exploring the 80CRI Nichia 319 with a@hexagon shaped die. Performance should be close to the XM-L2 or XPL-HD. Thoughts?

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
Was that info from the new foursevens owner?
i am dying for some new quarks and is there an idea of when we may see some?
thanks

Thinking about going two tone on Quarks. HAIII Natural for the main color and black accents. Also exploring the 80CRI Nichia 319 with a@hexagon shaped die. Performance should be close to the XM-L2 or XPL-HD. Thoughts?

markr6

Flashaholic

I really want these to play out! Outstanding! But I have a feeling it will be like the next year's concept car - they're amazing in every way. When the production model comes out, all you can say is "huh". I would just like to see them release something basic to get the ball rolling, then build on that.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on Quarks years ago. My complaints:

1. Output not that great. Though, I gather this isn't an issue for you.

2. Very inefficient on maximum (the other modes were fine).

3. Cool white only. Yuck.

4. Poor UI. The tactical only allowed you to use 2 modes, and the pro grouped strobes and blinkies with the regular group so you had to step through them. Grrrrr.

Once I started buying Zebralights, they made the Quarks obsolete IMO. There are also several other brands that are better value than the Quarks.

That said, I do still occasionally use my old Quarks. They're mostly used for things like a glove-box light or toolbox light.

all this plus they are expensive

they cluster around $40 price-wise

well, for $40 you can get a much better Surefire G2x Pro.
MOre durable, more or less lumens, etc.

Just a light that's 100% better than any quark and almost indestructible.