PIR Solar Floodlight tips please

Celeritas

Newly Enlightened
Recently, my neighbour had his car 'broken' into and small items stolen. I say 'broken' into, because he admits he forgot to lock it...

Anyway, our bloc of garages are behind our residential building and comprise a set of three (including mine) which are set back quite a way and another six which are a garage length closer to our lawns, and more visible from the residence, which is probably 100 feet away. Being 'design icons' of the '60s, they are too small to accept modern cars, and were not supplied with electrical power. We have to park in front of our garages.
rolleyes.gif

Accordingly, I want to install a relatively low cost PIR solar powered floodlight, to deter any opportunistic 'visitors' from tampering with our three cars.

Looking through Fleabay etc., there seems to be a very wide range of styles, prices and claimed performance, both for the light output and the charging/storing capacity.

I'm assuming I'd need a light rated at least around 50w, to provide sufficient light to startle and deter anyone approaching the three garages, and once triggered, I'm assuming the light would need to stay on at least 10 minutes couple of times per night. However, some light units appear to contain an array of SMDs, while other have a single COB type emitter centrally mounted.

How do I choose what to purchase?

FWIW, I'm also going put up a couple of signs to the effect of 'Smile, you're now on CCTV' etc.

Any additional tips or ideas will be very welcome. Thanks!

ETA: Here's one item I'm considering:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Solar...ckfmpe8kAUphnQ

MeMeMe

Banned
Recently, my neighbour had his car 'broken' into and small items stolen. I say 'broken' into, because he admits he forgot to lock it...

Anyway, our bloc of garages are behind our residential building and comprise a set of three (including mine) which are set back quite a way and another six which are a garage length closer to our lawns, and more visible from the residence, which is probably 100 feet away. Being 'design icons' of the '60s, they are too small to accept modern cars, and were not supplied with electrical power. We have to park in front of our garages.
rolleyes.gif

Accordingly, I want to install a relatively low cost PIR solar powered floodlight, to deter any opportunistic 'visitors' from tampering with our three cars.

Looking through Fleabay etc., there seems to be a very wide range of styles, prices and claimed performance, both for the light output and the charging/storing capacity.

I'm assuming I'd need a light rated at least around 50w, to provide sufficient light to startle and deter anyone approaching the three garages, and once triggered, I'm assuming the light would need to stay on at least 10 minutes couple of times per night. However, some light units appear to contain an array of SMDs, while other have a single COB type emitter centrally mounted.

How do I choose what to purchase?

FWIW, I'm also going put up a couple of signs to the effect of 'Smile, you're now on CCTV' etc.

Any additional tips or ideas will be very welcome. Thanks!

ETA: Here's one item I'm considering:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Solar...ckfmpe8kAUphnQ

I will leave you with a thought ... 70-100,000 [FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]£ of cars, 10,000/yr on fuel, insurance, etc. --- protected by 22[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]£ of lighting. Makes sense ... [/FONT]

Celeritas

Newly Enlightened
I will leave you with a thought ... 70-100,000 [FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]£ of cars, 10,000/yr on fuel, insurance, etc. --- protected by 22[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]£ of lighting. Makes sense ... [/FONT]

YouYouYou need to lookup the definition of 'deterrent'.

MeMeMe

Banned
YouYouYou need to lookup the definition of 'deterrent'.

It's your car(s). It's not something I think you want to go cheap on. Cheap means it may not work well in cold winters, batteries that fail early, etc. etc.

Celeritas

Newly Enlightened
It's your car(s). It's not something I think you want to go cheap on. Cheap means it may not work well in cold winters, batteries that fail early, etc. etc.

Well, since LED, solar panel and battery technology are advancing swiftly, expensive doesn't necessarily mean 'better'. Moreover, 'cheaper' items would be easier to upgrade if they fail, get vandalised or are superseded by superior technology.

Of course, a light is not going to prevent determined miscreants, but just make them think twice, or be more prone to detection.

This subject doesn't need 'over-thinking'.

What I'm seeking are some tips with respect to pros and cons of SMD, COB, multiple arrays and 'under no circumstances waste your time and money with xxxxx'

Last edited: