A different use

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live across the street from my grocery store, where the street is like the line between city center and residential housing. I usually wind up doing my shopping in the evening. During the summer there was no real concern because even later in the evening it was still light out enough to let me be visible. Now that the days are getting shorter, I am more concerned about being visible as I walk home. My normal attire is blue or black jeans, and most of my shirts are dark in color, so I have some concern about being seen as I walk through the parking lot and cross the street. What I have been doing is taking my EDC, a Nitecore EA11, activating the beacon mode, and clipping the light to my shirt pocket. The interval is short enough that there is no way a car can get close without seeing at least one flash, and the flash is bright enough to catch anyone's attention. I first tried using the beacon mode of the red auxiliary LED, but decided it wasn't bright enough, so switched to the main one. So far it has worked, since I am here writing this, so we will see how things carry one. Just a different way of looking at one of the little used modes in most lights.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I used to do when I walked my dog in the winter was to have a bright flashlight in one hand, and let it swing freely when I strode across a street. It was pretty visible to drivers, I think.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I recommend walking against traffic of course with a headlamp on a 50-100 lumen setting, provided you look down as the car passes. If the road is narrow enough bite your ego and pick up a hi-vis vest. And also having a backup battery for the headlamp. Maybe a pocket Emisar D4 just cause?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would but I am crossing the street, not traveling along it. If I was going to be out walking in the dark in an area without sidewalks you better believe I would have one of those hi-ves vests with the LED lights going as well. I know I really should walk down to the corner, cross in the official crosswalk with the green light, then walk back up hill to my place. But I am old and out of shape and the place I am crossing at is half way between on a rather long block. I have decided that the red light lust didn't cut it, so I switched to the regular white beacon flash, which I think is like every two seconds. With my EA11 bezel down and clipped to my belt next to the buckle, no one should be able to claim they didn't see me.
I normally walk over to the store between six and seven pm, and eat my evening meal in the deli, just to be able to eat something I didn't have to cook for myself. That would put be walking home around eight. During the summer that isn't a problem because the sun stays up much later than that. Now that we are in the dark half of the year it is starting to get dark when I walk over, let along when I walk home.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, that's a good solution. Working at night, means I have to drive at night. I typically encounter idiots who wear Black on Black, with a bit more Black for "contrast." A bit of light or maybe a bright yellow shirt on their part would prevent me from having to slam on the brakes.

And for anyone wondering, yes; I do slow down a great deal on residential streets. These same idiots like to run out into traffic, in front of slowly approaching cars. And yes, none of them are children.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You should be doing more to assist them in their attempt to win the Darwin Award!
:crackup:

I am happy to see that more manufacturers are using 3M reflective material or threading in the logos of their outerwear clothing.

My three season coat didn't have any, so I had a friend sew a one inch wide 3M ribbon around the collar of my coat, and around the cuffs. I bought more to sew onto the grandkids coats but got out-voted by the style police.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You should be doing more to assist them in their attempt to win the Darwin Award!

I'm half-tempted to.... Problem is, their squishy bodies are just solid enough to do plenty of damaged to my sweet, sweet ride. Not worth it. I love my baby.