can someone help decipher wagner's marketing of its 9006 lamps?

Ls400

Enlightened
Not really interested in buying these; I'm more curious about the marketing speak for these products. I've seen plenty of blue bulbs at the local parts store but I've never seen anything like these before.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3732363&cc=1316123&jsn=380

1) What is MD, MOL, LCL?

2) Does this Wagner product actually have the benefits it claims (less glare, increased forward visibility, etc.)?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4201803&cc=1316123&jsn=382

1) How does a yellow coating help make the light 40% brighter?

2) It says it emits non-glaring yellow light into oncoming traffic--does it actually do that?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really interested in buying these; I'm more curious about the marketing speak for these products. I've seen plenty of blue bulbs at the local parts store but I've never seen anything like these before.
Well, if it's a Wagner bulb, it's either made (poorly) in a random factory, or it could be factory seconds from the likes of Philips (like with the HIRx bulbs they sell).

1) What is MD, MOL, LCL?
MD is "Maximum diameter" of the envelope (a bulb housing may have a very narrow opening for the bulb envelope and this helps ensure it can fit. Some specialty bulbs (like IPF's "Fat Boy" junk) have a particularly wide MD.
MOL is "Maximum Overall Length" -- the length of the envelope. Some of those unsafe and illegal LED "drop-ins" have an MOL which results in the tip of the bulb striking the lens of the lamp assembly before it can even be seated.
LCL is the "Light Center Length", the distance between the base of the lamp and the center of the filament-- this determines the focal point. Every correctly-made bulb of a particular type will have the same LCL (every H4's LCL is the same as any other H4, every HB4, every HB3, every H13, etc...)

2) Does this Wagner product actually have the benefits it claims (less glare, increased forward visibility, etc.)?
For any given intensity, white light tending towards yellow is less glaring than neutral white and that light tending towards blue, but does the Wagner product really provide the "increased forward visibility" and all that? Doubtful.

You've asked for bulb recommendations before-- we're well aware of bulbs like these Wagner products and have conspicuously NOT recommended them. This should mean something.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Not really interested in buying these

Good. Wagner = junk.

1) What is MD, MOL, LCL?

Maximum Diameter
Maximum Overall Length
Light Center Length

No.

1) How does a yellow coating help make the light 40% brighter?

It doesn't.

2) It says it emits non-glaring yellow light into oncoming traffic--does it actually do that?

It emits a spotty mix of yellow and white light, sorta.