Newly Enlightened
Looking for an everyday carry.

Uses:
1. Walking dog around neighborhood
2. Projects around the house
3. Navigating the house at night once everyone is asleep
4. Maybe some camping

Wants:
1. Multiple levels - very low for checking on my kids at night to very bright for lighting up the back yard or half a block away on my dog walks
2. Floody, not a thrower but still enough of a throw for neighborhood walks
3. More of a neutral to natural color, defiantly not blueish
4. No twisty head for level selection, the EagleTac I have now never works right with the twisty head
5. It would be nice to have a quick select for Turbo
6. [FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]18650 powered[/FONT]
[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]7. Small enough to carry in my back pocket on walks. Doesn't have to fit completely inside the pocket, just not so big it falls out.
8. Quality well made product that last

Price $0-$150

I really am looking for a nice even light, not a fan of the hot spots with spill over flood.

Lights I've looked at so far online:
[/FONT]Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition
2. NITECORE Lights EC4S

I've looked at those because they both have OP reflectors. Doesn't have to be the two battery style. I also don't care about brand as long as it's a quality product.

Thanks!!!

adnj

Enlightened
I have a few BLF A6 lights from the original run a couple of years ago. Those lights have been trouble-free.

Mine is setup with no memory and a 1 lumen low.

Click to low then quick click to turbo.
cf5415d62d8879e28116eacd7ce013cb.jpg

Zak

Enlightened
Zebralight SC600Fd or SC600Fc depending on whether you prefer the cooler side of neutral or the warmer side. Both are high-CRI as well, and have configurable shortcuts to low, medium, and high modes. Like all Zebralights, they have full output on a low battery and very good thermal regulation.

vondy

Newly Enlightened
I did also take a look at the FENIX UC35 V2.0 USB, similar to the PD35 V2.0. I liked that it had a moonlight mode compared to the eco mode of the UC35. What I could not find was a shot of the beam for either. Will have to keep looking.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar D4 with the LED/tints of your choice. $35 shipped, $3 for a pocket clip and $5 for a spare 18350 body.

Get a Sony VTC-5a, or two and enjoy.

Chris

Scourie

Enlightened
Olight M2R with neutral LED. You can set it for 1 lumen on side switch and 1500 lumens from tailcap. Simple to charge as well. Nice floody beam. It's my new EDC.

dariman3

Newly Enlightened
Check out the BLF Mini GT <$50. NW tint. Has a short tube for a 18350 battery available also. Nice compact package.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I believe there are beamshots of a uc35 2.0 in the reviews section somewhere. I have one as well. Wouldnt call it a flooder by any means. More a traditional hot spot and spill. I'm a zebralight fan so the floody zebralights with the frosted lenses are a great idea. I only have the frosted lenses on the headlamps but it should do what you want. But the emissars do seem very popular nowadays and are less expensive.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under $100, one or more of the Emisar series is the answer to a lot of these threads now ....

You can censure me if I'm blowing the same tune, too often, but yeah...

I've got the D4 and D1S and I'm trying to convince myself to buy spares, or get a D1 just to have.

They key is that they're not just a popular light, the key is is that they're $35 shipped, a bit more for the XP-Ls, pocket clip and 18350 body. And they're made by Hank of Noctigon Meteor M43 fame. Not exactly a bush-league flash in the pan.

I love the smaller lipstick 16340 lights and have a half dozen, but a D4 with 18650 and pocket clip is a bit more comfortable than my SC600 and it does a pretty good job. My SC600 cost me $95 shipped in May of '12.

It's a two-fer, with batteries thrown in.

I'm going to Los Angeles to see Pops and my sis/bro and I'll be bringing the D4 and perhaps my Olight S Mini. Throw in the Liitokala 202/Xtar XP-1 and I don't need anything else. I can fit all of that in one of my shoes I'll be packing in my carry-on.

Chris

Last edited:

vondy

Newly Enlightened
So I went with the Olight M2R with neutral LED. Haven't used it too much yet but so far it seems to be pretty much what I was looking for. I was hesitant because their site states that it has a smooth reflector when in fact it is OP, which is exactly what I was looking for to give me the floody beam. Some YouTube videos showed it having the OP so I took a chance.

It's a nice light, seems well built and the UI is fairly simple. Not sure about the tail switch, it's harder to push being flat metal, especially on a half click, but I suspect I'll get used to it.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Scourie

Enlightened
Great choice!

I keep mine in "tactical" mode, as then there's no chance of it being latched on at max in a pocket!