Where does the Thrunite TN12 stack up against other flashlights?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Saw this light come up on another forum from sources that I wouldn't consider experts on the subject.

So is this flashlight the cat's meow or just another flashlight? Thanks.

Zak

Enlightened
It's just another flashlight. The 1x18650 dual-switch category has many entries, including the Acebeam EC35, Fenix PD35, Armytek Partner C2 Pro, Nitecore P12, and Olight M1X.

The TN12's advantages versus some of the competition are that it doesn't have timed stepdowns and offers the option of neutral white color temperature. It's usually priced lower, and I think the build quality is better than Nitecore, but probably a bit behind Acebeam. To sum up, it's a solid light and a reasonable value. I'd consider the XP-L HI version of the Acebeam EC35 a bit nicer in this category if you want more throw, but I'm not very excited about the base version, which only comes in cool white.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It's just another flashlight. The 1x18650 dual-switch category has many entries, including the Acebeam EC35, Fenix PD35, Armytek Partner C2 Pro, Nitecore P12, and Olight M1X.

The TN12's advantages versus some of the competition are that it doesn't have timed stepdowns and offers the option of neutral white color temperature. It's usually priced lower, and I think the build quality is better than Nitecore, but probably a bit behind Acebeam. To sum up, it's a solid light and a reasonable value. I'd consider the XP-L HI version of the Acebeam EC35 a bit nicer in this category if you want more throw, but I'm not very excited about the base version, which only comes in cool white.
Great response Zak!

One thing that I would like to add, is Thrunite, like the other's you mentioned are Quality Manufacturers. Any that you mentioned above will stand out compared to the $10.99 special. I can say from personal experience that Thrunite stands behind their products.

I have a TN12 2014 in NW. It's a good quality light. Personally, I am not a big fan of two switch lights (except the Fenix TK35). I guess it's hard to teach "old dogs" new tricks.

wweiss

Enlightened
The Tn12 2016 in NW is excellent. Very efficient use of power and longer run-times than many others at the same output.
I use mine (amoung other uses) to lay down at the bottom of my pond (5-6' depth) to backlight underwater photography of the wildlife.
Never a problem.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
The 2016 TN12 is my first enthusiast light. It's the perfect all in one beam profile for me as an outdoor light. Decent throw with no tunnel. It also takes every 18650 I can find from protected button top to unprotected flat top. It's a bit long but still fits in my pocket nicely. It hits a quality/performance/value sweet spot. I only wish it had LVP.

wweiss

Enlightened
I have re-discovered this NW light in my collection and my verdict stands. In terms of overall efficiency and beam profile, it is one of the best (dense) woods walkers you're going to find. Good beam spread and surprising throw with little heat and long run-times. If I had to go on a 20 mile hike on the AT through the night, I would take the TN12 2016 and my Malkoff Wildcat with an MD4 body.
And a boater's air horn...

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I just took mine for a walk in very cold weather and ran it on turbo for 10 minutes at a time. Appreciated the absence of a timed step down. It wasn't necessary. Agree with wweiss. This light excels on a forest trail.

wweiss

Enlightened
Yes, the TN12 2016 seems to be a sleeper on these forums. Not too much talk of it's virtues - edc size, heat control, beam configuration, efficiency and water tightness. I've used this as a dive light to 10-12'... It can run on turbo for extended periods without the head getting overly hot. The neutral variant has a very good tint - looks close to nichia CRI to my eyes. An all around winner, definitely "not just another light".

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's another one. Truth is, it's better quality than the Nitecore P12, but quite a bit less expensive than the Fenix PD35 Tac. model. (I actually have two of those myself, but have two of the ThruNite TN12 2016s too. If my budget was tight but I wanted a good tactical light with more General-Use modes included as well, I'd get one TN12.) The Acebeam EC35 is a good one too. But the inside diameter is a bit too wide. Even an 18650 has a bit of rattle inside of it, and that doesn't go away if you use an 18650 from another brand. Plus the spring on the inside of the tailcap isn't long enough to help hold the battery from rattling when the tailcap is attached.

It's personal preference but I think the ThruNite is one of the better options overall in this particular form factor shared by quite a few other lights.

Edit: Also, I believe the tailcap switch on the EC35 doesn't instantly give you Turbo mode with a light press, unlike the models from other companies. What I've seen is that the tailcap puts out the last mode chosen using the side switch. I can see that feature being useful for those who want instant low mode with the tailcap and have no intention of using the light as a tactical one. But for me, if you want Turbo to instantly ID a possible threat that's lurking nearby, last thing I want is low or medium when I need the highest setting on a tap of that tailcap.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Saw this light come up on another forum from sources that I wouldn't consider experts on the subject.

So is this flashlight the cat's meow or just another flashlight? Thanks.

Some would say it's just another tactical light - nothing sexy, not from a specialized maker. However, for size, run-times, durability and beam pattern on a single 18650, I find it hard to beat. MUCH brighter with longer runtimes than any other single 18650 light I own and with very good heat dissipation - hardly any. TN really got their design specs right on this one. I have beat mine up, dropped, kicked and fished it out of ponds and rolled it down Rocky Mountains and it looks battle-worn and great... Not

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ignore the "Not" at the end of my reply above, please. I wasn't joking there - just mis-typing...

Heck, I had to get a Limited Edition Cerakoted Fenix PD35 Tac. model in Battleworn Tungsten (Grey) to get that awesome beat-up look. It's always better when it's done naturally though. :)