reflow troubles, XQE

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been fighting this one, and it's winning. Are the XQE's temperature sensitive? I put them on the mpcb, double checking polarity (notch = neg), and they are not working. I did reflow them to the point that everything else on the board was mobile, but the main LEDs still work fine.

GCMMMt.jpg

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick checklist:
1: Too much solder (paste)-are they shorted?
2: That MTN board has a separate negative pad for for the 1616 leds but a common positive-are you using the right pads?
3: can you verify they work outside the pcb?

CWu8PpO.jpg

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to check to see if they work separately from the MPCB. These are right from RMM at Mountain, I didn't add more solder paste. Have plans to hit it with my multimeter to dig into it a bit further.

The XQE's were brand new, that's probably not the issue. Reflowing is pretty straightforward with larger LEDs, but these 1.5mm little guys, the potential for problems increase quite a bit

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to check to see if they work separately from the MPCB. These are right from RMM at Mountain, I didn't add more solder paste. Have plans to hit it with my multimeter to dig into it a bit further.

The XQE's were brand new, that's probably not the issue. Reflowing is pretty straightforward with larger LEDs, but these 1.5mm little guys, the potential for problems increase quite a bit

Id pull one off and check to see if it still works. These little LEDs are known to short quite easy due to the small space between the two pads. Other than that being reversed but you said you were careful. I am not sure.