EDC with esay access to strobe mode

Sharpac

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm looking for a EDC flash light with an easy acces to a strobe mode.
My wife works at night in an hospital. She is some time alone walking in dark corridors, and even outside going between building in a poor illuminated environement. At any time she can cross some drunk or not particulary friendly people. There are security agents but they can't follow her everywhere anytime, and there are security cameras, buy they have some dead spots, and we all know that it could happen a lot between seeing something and acctually have someone comming.

So for a bit more of tranquility, we are looking for a flashlight for her to see better in those dark places that she needs to cross, and a easy acces to a strobe mode in case she meets an agressive person.

I found the "strobe ready" from nitecore (on the P10, P20) OK, but I more looking for a real dedicated switch like on the nitecore P36, or even better like on Klarus XT series.

Do you know other models which can meet my requirement ?
(I answerd all the question from the checklist below)

Thanks !

1)How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be purchased Online (ship to France).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I would prefer a solution ready out of the box, but I could be intrested in assembling my own components if it could save me some money meet perfectly my requirements

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
500-1000 lumens

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Flood or Wide Throw

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
1-50 yards/meters

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
Other, please specify : super easy access to strobe mode (a dedicated switch would be perfect).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I don't know.

15) Water resistance
None needed
IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras
As mentionned before I need a super easy/simple access to strobe mode (a dedicated switch would be perfect).

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possible option is the 1AAA Factor Equipment Mizpah 130. It has a memory mode that remembers whatever mode it was turned off in - including strobe. It's more floody than throwy, so it may not have the distance that you're looking for.

The Utorch UT01 is 1AA and has direct access to strobe with two quick clicks from off or from any other mode. It has much more throw than the Mizpah 130. Has a nice balanced beam.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
The Eagle Tac P series has a Strobe on the second momentary push, and it can be turned on or off by cycling 20 times. They come in a few different sizes

Steeldog

Newly Enlightened
I've been edcing the Klarus XT12S. It's just over 5.5 inches in length, easy to pocket, has a turbo monetary primary switch and a mode switch right next to it that can be a strobe function. UI is very easy to use and simple for anybody. I like to mess with my fancy throw lights that have been modded but the Klarus comes with me most times as I'm not worry about messing it up and it's reliable.

http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=128&id=160

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the Nitecore EA11/EC11 has instant access to strobe from any normal light mode by merely pressing and holding the mode switch. I believe that feature is present on many if not most of the current Nitecore lights. I EDC the EA11 on my belt and hardly know it is there most of the time. If she normally wears scrubs I believe the pockets have the capacity that she could carry it there without any problem, or the clip is strong enough that it could be clipped to the inside of the pocket lip as well.

Keitho

Enlightened
I really like the Acebeam L16 and L30 user interface for tactical considerations. The rear switch is turbo, always turbo, only turbo. Period. That's what I want to be able to access even if I'm stressed and flustered and want lots of focused light NOW. I don't want to be thinking, "Did I leave that light set to turbo or to some other level...and what do I have to press again?"

The side button is easy, as well--one click on, hold to cycle through brightness levels, double click turbo, triple-click strobe. From what I've read about law enforcement use of strobe, I'm not convinced it is more effective than a bright steady light. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but my personal EDC strategy does not include use of a strobe function.

The L16vn and L30vn versions (modified by Vinh) are a great deal--get a better LED, but retain the USB charging and great UI, for very little extra money. I also like the lower color temp he can provide (I tend to dislike any color temp over 5500K, even in a thrower).

These lights aren't really pocketable, at least for me. Holster only, if that works with your wife's handbag or medical kit. The size allows great concentrated light--the bigger the flashlight head, the more it is able to focus light. But, if the size means it will be left behind, then get something smaller!

Best of luck