EDC 4Sevens Quark AA2 Replacement

aquafarr

Newly Enlightened
I've used a 4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical Turbo as my EDC for 10 years +/-. It's a great light, but given its age I assume there are better options with current technologies available. I've completed the forum questionnaire and I'll provide some more details here also. Thank you in advance for your input and forum participation.

I'm rebuilding my Adventure Day Carry kit (ADC) and would like your input on the best light to replace my well worn Quark. My ADC kit includes a battery boost pack for recharging phones, GoPro, laptop, flashlight, etc. Along with my knife of choice, raincoat, sunscreen, shades, etc. I'd like the flashlight to be rechargeable using my boost pack. I also carry a Petzl Tikka headlamp for hands fee lighting in close up, campsite, making repairs, reading situations.

I spend a lot of time on boats, I'm looking for a light for general use and spotting navigation buoys, other boats or for emergency situations. I've noticed some of the high lumen lights I've tried have such a flood beam that the reflection of the boat deck is detrimental to night vision. My father has a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5, I'd like a light with similar performance, in a smaller body.

Here's the questionnaire:
_X_ = yes
_M_ = maybe, based on forum input

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X_ This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
_M_ Up to $100 - getting warmer
_X_ Up to $200 - sweet spot, realistic
_M_ Up to $300 - I've spent more on less.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:
____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_X_ I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:
____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
_X_ SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:
_X_ LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:
_X_ I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X_ I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
_X_ I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
MORE INFO: Specifically I want a light that is micro USB or USB-C rechargeable either by a port on the light body or with the USB port built into the battery itself (I've seen Fenix has this style battery). If the USB is built into the battery, I'd want a single battery/battery pack i.e. not two batteries each with a USB on them. I think that the USB port on the light body is the better option, but welcome your input on that. Also, for my need there's some advantage to having the ability to take the battery out and swap for a fresh. I do not want to have to carry a separate charger cradle for the battery.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
_X_ I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X_ I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_X_ I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
_X_ SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
_M_ Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
_X_ Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
_X_ Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_X_ 50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_X_ 150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
_X_ Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_X_ 3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

MORE INFO: I'm ok with a reduced run time on "turbo" mode and would like 3 hours+ on "candle/low" mode.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X_ Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_X_ Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
_X_ I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

_X_ Other, please specify:
MORE INFO: I definitely want momentary on. I really like the ability to shift modes up and down without cycling through all (not sure if that's what a reverse clicky is). I definitely want the ability for the light to tail stand.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_X_ I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X_ I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_M_ I want a programmable light.
_M_ I want a selector ring.
_M_ I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
_M_ I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
_M_ I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

MORE INFO: I strongly dislike the Fenix lights quick access to strobe. While I like having a strobe/SOS/beacon option for safety, I find the ability to instantly enter strobe mode annoying for my use - I'm not planning to use the light beam in self defense. Me, my wife, and if they can get their hands on it-my 2yr old and 4yr old boy will all be using this light. The instant strobe is confusing and kind of overwhelming/scary if you aren't used to using the light - especially if you push hit strobe mode at a time that you really do need light. I've come to like the Foursevens twist bezel, I have it programmed tight for bright, loose for medium, but there's obvious limitations to that in only having two power modes vs. the modern lights with 4-5 levels including turbo.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X_ Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
_M_ Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_M_ Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
_M_ IPX4 (Splash resistant)
_X_ IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
_M_ IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
_X_ Emergency kit (long standby periods)
_X_ Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
_M_ Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
_X_ Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

BigDak19

Newly Enlightened
After taking a look at your questionnaire, I think a light that ticks a lot of the boxes would be the new Fenix PD35 V 2.0. I personally have one of these as well as the older 2014 model and it'll do pretty much everything you want it to do. The light has multiple modes with a high output of 1,000 and a low of I believe 5 lumens. You can also purchase different color lens caps. Fenix also offers a 3500mah USB rechargeable 18650 that I've never successfully killed in one use. These lights are also pretty economical around $70 for the light itself and $22ish for the battery BUT new customers get 20% off and free shipping. Just my opinion but I think it's worth taking a look!

Side note, I just ordered a few very old (but new) 4 Sevens Quarks off of eBay. In 2018 I feel like buying a light from 2010+ is like buying a piece of history lol. Any insight on these lights?

Thanks!