Reviving a dead SRK clone

hcanning

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a 7-LED Ultrafire Skyray King clone. Until recently, it worked really well and I was pleased with it. However, following an incident involving it switching on in my bag (silly me for not unscrewing it a bit!) and consequently killing all of its 7 emitters, I am wondering about reviving it.

The emitter board looks like this (identical picture found online):

OJYR2Eg.jpg

And clearly its thermal properties are inadequate, but can anyone comment on how I might be able to easily either replace the emitters or incorporate 7 separate emitter boards perhaps?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is definitely just the LEDs, they can be reflowed. I just use a bar of aluminum and a small propane torch.

You'll need to measure them to make sure what type. For example, the XPL series are 3.5mm square, which is important due to the spacing of the neg and positive bars that connect to the Cathode (-) and Anode (+) of the LED

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reflow emitters in a frying pan on the stove. Seems like a perfect application for this one as well.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i burned emitters before they do not look as good as yours, are you sure it is not the driver?