Best H7 option for 2005 VW Golf

rich121

Newly Enlightened
Have a 2005 VW Golf with poor headlights that use H7 lamps for both high/low beams.

I see the 65 watt Oscram H7 replacement is not available yet, what would be the next best lamp to use for now? Was using Vosla H7 +120 German lamps.

Have not used this site for years, I find the search function for the forums pretty much worthless, any word that is 'common' will not come up in search...

Also, why do I have to use a "Image Verification" if I'm already signed in??? The forums do not seem very 'user friendly'.....

Anyways... looking forward to your reply.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a 2005 VW Golf with poor headlights that use H7 lamps for both high/low beams.
Many '05 model year cars were built in '04, so your car could be now 14 years old. Even if the car is garage kept, the headlamp assemblies themselves may be due for replacement-- even if the lenses look good, the reflectors could be degraded. Depending on your northern latitude, the lenses could deceive you, but they don't tell the whole tale. If you decide to replace them, get genuine VW lamps.

You might also have problems with the wiring, and not getting full voltage to the bulbs. Testing your voltage drop (see here) may be a good idea.

All that aside, you will be well-served by any of the GE Nighthawk Xenon, or the GE Nighthawk Platinum. Sadly, the Philips X-Treme Vision is rather frequently counterfeited and counterfeits have entered mainstream markets.

why do I have to use a "Image Verification" if I'm already signed in???
Once you have three posts that count (ones in the "introduction" forums don't), then that should go away. You've "used the forums for years" but registered October 2018. :welcome:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The best-pick H7 right now is the GE Night Hawk Xenon, which, yes, is better than the Night Hawk Platinum. Alaric's right about headlamp condition: the lamps need to be in perfect, like-new condition, and they need to be genuine (original-equipment maker) parts, not aftermarket knockoffs. Power feed to the lamps is probably fine; that doesn't tend to be a problem with VWs made in the last 15 years or so, but headlamp aim is absolutely crucial, so spend the money/time/effort to have it done right. A VW dealer service department is supposed to(!) have the right tool, and they're supposed to(!) use it correctly as described in this VW bulletin, but you still face high likelihood of a dealer using a random or "squint at the wall" method, which is just not good enough.