Kayak Flashlight Recommendations

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
Hey all! I'm looking for recommendations on a flashlight for my kayak. I plan to somehow mount this to the bow (not sure how yet) so it's in front of me while I paddle. I want to go the flashlight route to save weight from not having a big battery. I also don't wanna mess with wiring. Plus a flashlight will be dual purpose as I can take it off and use it elsewhere.

Ideally I want something that has what some of you here call a floody throw. I want to see out at a distance but have some bleed over to the sides and down so I can see logs and stuff in front. I'd like a 18650 as that's what my other lights use, or maybe even 26650. I'd also like something that has maybe at least a 4+ hour run time on medium to high power. It has to be waterproof. I had planned on mounting two up front, one on each side but I think I could get by with just one looking at them now. I have a Fenix TK 22 that I've tried on the front just bungeed to my gear and it worked ok but isn't as wide as I'd like.

I've looked at these:

Fenix FD65 which is interesting as it has both flood and spot capabilities, as well as a 1/4" 20 mount.

Nitecore TM16GT which is a floody thrower based on reviews here. Also has a 1/4 20 mount but on the back. Shorter run times than the Fenix FD65 and slightly heavier but not by much.

Nitecore TM26GT....not sure how this light is much different than the TM16GT...maybe a wider throw? I know it's a little bit lighterweight

Fenix TK35UE 2018 Version...lightest of the two but only uses 2 18650 batteries so lower run time and not as powerful....at least not for longer run times.

I've seen Armytek mentioned but haven't checked them out. I'm open to any brand that makes a decent light so would love to hear any other recommendations.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might take a look at the Fenix bicycle lights.
Fenix BC30 and BC30R

A remote switch might be a nice option.

Exactly what i was going to recommend! Wide beam with decent throw, you get almost 7 hours of runtime at 400 lumens, has a digital display that tells you remaining ride time so you know when you need to start heading back in. You cant beat them! Check out some youtube videos.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
Fenix BC30 and BC30R

Exactly what i was going to recommend! Wide beam with decent throw, you get almost 7 hours of runtime at 400 lumens, has a digital display that tells you remaining ride time so you know when you need to start heading back in. You cant beat them! Check out some youtube videos.

Thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't think about these! A remote would be killer plus I use my bicycle for hunting too and it could pull double duty.

Since I'm looking at bike lights now, any other brands you'd recommend? Also would you think one would be plenty or would I possibly need two?

I'm looking at the Nitecore BR35 and it looks nice....also has a remote and a dual range beam.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't think about these! A remote would be killer plus I use my bicycle for hunting too and it could pull double duty.

Since I'm looking at bike lights now, any other brands you'd recommend? Also would you think one would be plenty or would I possibly need two?

I'm looking at the Nitecore BR35 and it looks nice....also has a remote and a dual range beam.

You really can never go wrong with a backup but one should be plenty. If it was me, id get the fenix just because I have used their lights and had a lot of success and very few problems with them. Im sure others will chime in but you wont be disappointed with Fenix quality.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Regarding the BC30R, I don't know if it can be powered by an external power bank if it runs low. From what I read the battery is not replaceable in the field.
The BC30 on the other hand is powered by 2-18650s and they can be swapped out. It however doesn't have the cool bells and whistles.

You might want to double check that before making a choice.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the BC30R, I don't know if it can be powered by an external power bank if it runs low. From what I read the battery is not replaceable in the field.
The BC30 on the other hand is powered by 2-18650s and they can be swapped out. It however doesn't have the cool bells and whistles.

You might want to double check that before making a choice.

You really can never go wrong with a backup but one should be plenty. If it was me, id get the fenix just because I have used their lights and had a lot of success and very few problems with them. Im sure others will chime in but you wont be disappointed with Fenix quality.

Thanks ya'll...Yeah I don't like the integrated battery...I called Nitecore and they basically said once it goes out you gotta send it in and we don't know the cost to fix it. So my guess is it would cost as much as a new one. I think I'll go with the 18650 version...it doesn't have all the cool stuff but output is about the same and has a remote still...And Bigburly, you're right, I've got two fenix lights and they've held up to being dunked in water, dropped and everything else.

Thanks again guys!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always taken a headlamp as a back up in case I get caught out on the lake after dark. If he's wanting a mounted light though the recommended ones will be great

Poppy

Flashaholic
I use a headlamp for night paddles. Also be careful. I had a few close calls doing this.
I also pack a headlamp, and a pair of battery packs if I might be out near dusk or later.

I use the battery packs to power my safety lights.

Ka9eIzjZ1mw8_d2fi8w5mJVWYn475i7dzC0yCRgS2R9wxq46slx2HUoYXHg7kG-1hWqAnpeQKa8_sP8E0Q74eA9GUsFOC3BSsNJGhaps6ZSMViW_WtoTykDEWwRc0QBBvC8tX7PizODE0H_pylNng1m-82rQQRz802Knvub86GyMlAVXGQJjCd2G64nQDYff6fA1Nmn9X7uNkmIE2QOOaHSZYgTvz16D6kjoJ31Y8IqY8b7MQwOaOg0NVJzdRtyVRfALN0DUJ0BmcsUXo9An5wxJagCJTYKL2r3McrNtxPbfUH3RXrhzOR60VKB1GAU079Ab8x_JHCfKQuKyxcDW70ilgdloK2o1NgJMcexm2YEp0EvAllVOKirv66HKdajh6v80hzbLG5wFtQhrCiFQpSnP4TEuqR7OOJDlveFwjbOSTxcuNhr5bLhTiEN58D5v8jkcYInHuVOuOfoHF3YJmUe-GKKIj3fu03FVDKdooLW8k6yedB2rwNm-kMBhaA_ATx9pSWJrVFmXXBb8BdbQW9dqo-2EWT0LHsjhVNMpbxEl5Za6lUbk4QUBh26ur_lVUXDT6nnKQIzMUpMUY2gw3_BJ85G0Ettj29skVpnGMfCM3q2zlp7UeQVvwcQ5owY=w427-h758-no

aAhLe6m-thBNfsTSjst5LJuyIQ9CG8aORc7PC88QkmbiOC_8RRjlk_UPZiTmChnZUGWxsZZXSZe3q895gB2MBQw8fAgFdNBixw68rbZdMf4sfjnS9wUqqsPKdVqh4T8AwVGCmzdej20tG5ECgpUYG14wlwbsbEW3OEL51GOUv-Gu1CRUbmDYBnIiFivaLn55czky6M7c5uGLTXACA2y_OWGEi_y221TGPOBCiIij3DI78hYL4e7sBK3-_r1ci8Z2j6L1dBf1xQnPJ2_JITnAyFVozs-IH_da2ffBxEhbQPUHfLE16ZvLrnCmxFhFInEjNQV52QUfCnuAHrhrACQCDk3swSrz5amdGxuCt8EIqgPUlBq34-fXo1Wiv-pTwYOYlv2zFrwHnaj6ji4pA1Ra2SflLvQZlatJdufXvaUnHLklqvePHNLibB71PoAj9OV9kWjlGgzKVYdysGsE5wZ-meCSkLFrffOOQ1PHrloryspHxgcILDl9YjbM3kTEw9DlbRx7UF9blkTwkVXc1ZC_S48baBJyE1HKwG53N7hpgQwLI8DL-FsmTpVcPtzdqEjQwCjCLQd5oeWAxFrqnm5GDXwSTpxin5AqUNUi5mdVeQhE1zY8eDHNb3srM-r2o4g=w427-h758-no

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies...I guess I should have mentioned, I always carry spare batteries and a headlamp, but I don't like a headlamp for kayaking. The headlamp reflects off the paddle every time I make a stroke killing my vision...it's like dark then light repeatedly and I just don't like that...I want the light forward of me. Plus I can mount it in a way that it shows any obstructions. If I need the headlamp for some reason I have it.

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened

Fenix BC30 and BC30R

I received the light in today and I've gotta say, I'm very disappointed in it. It's bright but not like I thought it would be...that's not the problem though. The clip to remove the battery is terrible and the remote is useless. All it does is toggle turbo mode...that's it. It doesn't control the light in any other way and you have to hold it down to make turbo mode work. I'll likely be returning it. I may end up trying the nitecore though I'm not keen on a rechargeable pack. I might just go the flashlight route and mount it in a swiveling rod holder

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What problem are you having with the clip? It should just pop, twist, pull out. Did you get the bc30 or the bc30r. The burst should be a fantastic feature. You have the light set to the mode you want and if you need more light you hit your remote for a 1200 Lumen blast. I'm sorry you are disappointed with it. I thought it fit your parameters pretty well. Good luck in your search!

checkerfred

Newly Enlightened
What problem are you having with the clip? It should just pop, twist, pull out. Did you get the bc30 or the bc30r. The burst should be a fantastic feature. You have the light set to the mode you want and if you need more light you hit your remote for a 1200 Lumen blast. I'm sorry you are disappointed with it. I thought it fit your parameters pretty well. Good luck in your search!

The clip comes off when you try to pull the battery tray out. I have it rotated the right way too as I can pull it out. I see online others have mentioned this same problem. The switch is useless for me. I was under the impression it would turn the light on or off as well as control the levels. As it is, it's pretty useless for me. The quality of light is decent though I would have liked more power. That's not a deal killer though some places I hunt is more open water sloughs and having a longer throw beam option or more power would be nice. I do like the spread and beam for the majority of stuff I'd be in (small streams and creeks).

One thing I'm worried about too is I've seen it listed on their site as rainproof and splash proof but the manual says it's just moisture resistant for humid conditions.