Klarus        

Thread: Scientific information requested

Enlightened

Default Scientific information requested

I am after some scientific information regarding laser beam strength degredation in air. I do not know whether anyone has any good information they could share please. Information on

Atomic saturation of the air
    Electron scattering of the beam
    General loss through the air
    Plasma heating of air

Default Re: Scientific information requested

In general, the laser beam strength is mostly impacted by beam broadening, as the collimation is limited by manufacturing economics as well as diffraction effects.
    The beam scatter from airborne dust and water vapor is much less significant except in rare instances (fog) and plasma heating is entirely negligible as a factor unless megawatt beam powers are involved.
    That puts the burden for minimizing beam strength losses on the emitter optics.
    For cheap lasers, it suffices to form the laser diode properly, better units have separate focusing lenses, but such products usually are for industrial or government use and have regulatory constraints.

And what if he tries to build a weapon grade unit to evaporate evil satellites flying above?

Look over on laser pointer forums, your requested info is there, as well as in Sam's laser FAQ.
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,