2019 Subaru Forester Ordered

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, I've got a new car ordered. Touring trim level that includes led headlights that steer with turns, at least under certain conditions I suppose.

Also led fog lights, but as a member here I know that they are of limited value in normal driving.

I'm hoping the experts, Virgil and others, can tell me that the headlights are great.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
As the title says, I've got a new car ordered.

Congratulations.

Also led fog lights, but as a member here I know that they are of limited value in normal driving.

Zero value in normal driving.

I'm hoping the experts, Virgil and others, can tell me that the headlights are great.

Well, they're certainly better than the Ford Fusion units being discussed right now in another thread on here!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Virgil, I'm not sure if that statement is supposed to be reassuring or not? Kind of like faint praise?

I do use my fog lights when proceeding slowly down our pothole gravel road at night. That's normal for me.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fog lights let other drivers know you paid for a trim level that includes fog lights; mine are on anytime the headlights are on.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fog lights let other drivers know you paid for a trim level that includes fog lights
It sure seems like it. ("Back in my day, when we tied an onion to our belts, we just got the gold-plated badging so people know we got the most luxury...")

mine are on anytime the headlights are on.
If you're intentionally doing that, don't.

If you're unintentionally doing that (which is more likely), perhaps you missed something on the dashboard or on the combination switch. The '09-'13 Subaru Forester's switches seem to be rather like those used by Toyota and Honda, in that there's a ring on it just to the right of the off/park/on/auto (the last, if present) that controls the fog lamps.
09-13-forestercombinationswitch.png

I have a friend that got a '14 or so Civic and her mother borrowed the car and turned them on accidentally-- my friend later didn't know she was driving around with them on when the headlamps were on. I showed her the ring and the telltale on the dashboard and she was relieved to know the light didn't mean something bad was going to happen.

Last edited:

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Like in Florida if you see a car with the turn signal on, it was probably on when they bought the car.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
This will be #7 Subaru since '81. Four legacy wagons & sedans, and now 2 Foresters with forester 3 coming.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss my Forester so badly. Best vehicle I've ever owned by far. Had to have a truck at the time or I'd still own it

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Picked up the '19 Forester Touring last night, so the first drive was 35 miles at night. Mix of interstate and back roads. The headlamps seem much better than the' 14 Forester it replaced. I did not get flashed by oncoming traffic on either Hiway or back roads so even though they are bright them are probably not too badly aimed from the factory. Or maybe not. I'll ask the dealer if they have an optical aiming device when I go back there next week.

The headlamps turn to match the road when turning at a greater than gentle angle which seems useful. Time will tell I guess. The auto hi beams seem to work well also. They use the Eyesight cameras to detect preceeding or oncoming traffic as well as ambiant lighting to determine if the hi beams should be on.

Love it so far.