Current *pencil-beam* throw king?

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Hello Collective!

I have an Olight SR95 as my so far best thrower.

I'm searching for a modern-day equivalent which is up with the times.

You'd think that it's obvious - BLF GT/Astrolux MF04 & the like - but these spill more than I want. I want the discretion that a pencil beam allows. Lux values don't help - as because many clearly beat the SR95 - they spill a lot too.

So - what's the current mainstream manufactured pencil-beam throw king?

Arif

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Streamlight Survivor, intended for firefighters, is intended to basically eliminate beam spill when the smoke cutter plug is in place.

It's not a standard round form factor, however.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend XSvn as well. Black Flat throws a pencil beam, and the aspheric lens on the Xsearcher host means no spill, only pencil thin hotspot.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
As I was after a torch from a mainstream maker, from-factory - I went with the Thrunite TN42. It's hotspot is a fair bit tighter than the Olight SR95's, but it certainly is brighter! I wouldn't have minded a smidgen less tight, but hey-ho. I didn't have the appetite for a 'modded' light, nor for what I suspect may have been a clunky ordering/delivery process - so used the Thrunite Store on Amazon. Brilliant experience there - & very happy with the torch.

It's also not quite the 'engineered thing of beauty' which my Olights are - but it fills a niche doesn't it, & does that very well!

(I've recently got a Wuben A21 Apollo - & I do classify that as an engineered thing of beauty too - is not all about blind love for Olight)

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were to go with a laser-excited phosphor thrower, then get a Maxtoch.

Thank you for letting me know about Maxtoch. I'll be googling it after church.

Quote of the week and i think it should be made into the CPF motto lmfao.

LOL!! Seconding this!

I thought it was already our motto? :)

One of my favorite little lights is my old Inova X1. I think it was the first version released. It has a tight beam, and not very bright. Great at night when you want a little light in a very specific spot. I'll have to post beamshots some day.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova X1 beam shot on my bedroom wall about 8 feet away:

TQQ1NM3.jpg