Li-ion options

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had the need for many li ion Cell's and the last time I bought any AW was still going strong. I've seen some discussion about who and where people are going to quality cells but I really don't know where to turn. I have some 8'ish year old rcr123 cells from AW which are still going strong so I feel like the bar has really been set.

Recently ordered a triple emitter 18650 light from Ali and want to order a pair of nice 18650s to use with it for cycling. The specs recommend an unprotected cell or one capable of 4A discharge. Any specific suggestions?

ven

Flashaholic
There are a good few options, if "only" 4a ask, the sanyo GA is an option 10a 3500mah
Also a little over kill(who doesn't like overkill):)
Sony vtc5a/vtc6
Samsung 30q (still one of my fav cells)
Even the older Panasonic A and B cells can handle the 4a, just a little long in the tooth now(old).

Have a look on mtn elec, IMRbatteries to name a couple of reputable shops.

If not already, a good charger, be it xtar, nitecore , opus, even miboxer for brands. Have found a digital voltage readout very user friendly and helps learn how much V is being used. Some have a % instead or as well as the V.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm looks like the choices abound but not too many are what I want. I'd like a flat top cell with protection that can deliver 10+ amps. I'll kee looking but if anybody has a part number in mind let me know

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently ordered a triple emitter 18650 light from Ali and want to order a pair of nice 18650s to use with it for cycling. The specs recommend an unprotected cell or one capable of 4A discharge. Any specific suggestions?

Hmm looks like the choices abound but not too many are what I want. I'd like a flat top cell with protection that can deliver 10+ amps. I'll kee looking but if anybody has a part number in mind let me know

Why get a protected 10+ amp flat-top cell, when the specs say to use an unprotected 4+ amp cell. If this is a single-cell light, you're not really getting much more safety from a protected cell. It might stop you from over-discharging, but that's pretty unlikely since your light will die before the cell voltage drops to dangerous levels.

Besides, a flat-top protected cell with 10+ amps is not that common. People just use unprotected flat-tops for that. Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, and Sanyo GA are the favorites. All great cells.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered a pair of IMREN Green Series IMR 18650 High Drain 3200mAh Li-ion 20A batteries. Seems they were rated pretty good in one of the comparisons, hopefully they are a good match for the light and even battery a good general purpose 18650 for lights. Charging them right now and I find it interesting that they seem to have arrived in a rather discharged state.