HDS UV light... On SALE October 23rd.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as many may already know, HDS will be coming out with a limited run of Ultra Violet lights. This was basically in response to two people wanting one... Henry and myself.

The light will be 365nm and will also have a special lens for cutting down on the other wavelengths that always accompany lights like this.

Mine will be used mostly for scorpion hunting and being disgusted at my carpet... and puppy.

Hope to have a prototype in two weeks.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS UV light...

No. We discussed it and decided not to. The reason being that this is going to be a short run and we want to both keep the cost down and let the end user decide for themselves.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it took longer than an hour but I have to say... damn this is soooooo cool!
Just look at that emitter!
img-2204.jpg

Oh. I guess you can't see it behind the Woods glass lens.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!!!

You can not tell when the light is on unless something is fluorescing in front of it. If you are dumb enough, like me, to shine it at your eyes when on medium or so, you will see deep purple (and your eyes will smooooooke on the waaaaater).

Here is some sphere data with the Woods glass filter...
uv-woods-glass.png

Playing with this, the little I have, I'm glad I have it as a Rotary to dial it up and down. I will be comparing it next to these other UV lights I have at home later this week.

Photon Freedom 370 nm
Inova X5 UV
Convoy with Nichia 365 nm

I have to say, I was quite impressed with the Convoy when I first got it as far as UV output, but my initial impression of this is that it will be at least as bright, or UVeeey.... or whatever.

Here is sphere data without the Woods glass. It is also much easier to tell when the light is on if you don't have the Woods glass.

uv-clear-lens.png

Woods glass on left, regular UCG on right
img-2205.jpg

Woods glass on left, regular UCG on right shining on something that fluoresces.
While the UCG appears brighter, when compared with the Woods glass, they are same as far as making things fluoresce. I'm keeping the Woods glass on mine as it doesn't effect what I will be using the light for. I personally don't want the extra "purple" outside the spectrum of light.

img-2206.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is another comparison shot between the HDS UV with and without the Woods filter.
They will be sold with the Woods lens.
Here is a rock with "something" on it. No idea if it is bird crap or what. This is WITHOUT the Woods lens.

img-2211.jpg

Same rock WITH the Woods lens.
img-2210.jpg

As you can see, it really cuts down on the side purple spectrum and just makes the things that fluoresce... well, fluoresce.

These will be sold WITH the Woods lens.

They will be up on the HDS web site tomorrow and be available tomorrow when Henry gets around to listing them.
Instead of the normal $30 premium on limited emitters, these will have a $50 premium.

28 will be available and that is it. We don't have plans on making more of these. These were basically something Henry and I wanted, and I don't think there was a ton of interest, but who knows.

You WILL mess up your eyes looking directly into the beam and you won't know it! So if you are an idiot like me, don't get one. I should probably have mine taken away from me, but I'm too old and ornery for anyone to try it... and I bite.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Hogo

I am pretty sure you mean November 23rd, that would be also a Friday (and Friday is flashlight day!). October the 23rd is at my location today! :hahaha::whistle:

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

They will be sold with the Woods lens.

Two questions:

1. if the Woods lens blocks virtually all visible light, how will one know the flashlight is still on?

2. will this LED require a 18650 power source or will a CR123a provide sufficient power for at least an hour?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two questions:

1. if the Woods lens blocks virtually all visible light, how will one know the flashlight is still on?

2. will this LED require a 18650 power source or will a CR123a provide sufficient power for at least an hour?

If you shine it on something, you will see it is on. All the invisible lint on your pants will glow.
No it does not need an 18650 and will run on a 123 with same runtime as any other current HDS light.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Hogo

I am pretty sure you mean November 23rd, that would be also a Friday (and Friday is flashlight day!). October the 23rd is at my location today! :hahaha::whistle:

Tucson time. Everything is Tucson time. LOL! And so that would be today... Tucson Time.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just compared it to the Convoy, and it is as least as bright when fluorescing things but without all the side spill purple. I even found some very tiny dead scorpions in the house.