Legacy SF aviator

jaytongret

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys and gals I am looking for someone to talk me through milling/drilling out my old model surefire aviator to accept a single large body rechargeable battery like the 17670 or ideally an 18650. I have an abundance of 18650 due to being a vaper. Who can help me?

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 and the L1 are my favorite SF platforms. Remember that the driver for both are in the body. So if you intend on using a full-length cell, you've got to upgrade the LED/ bulbs as well.

I haven't read that Precision Works thread, but certainly trust Barry's opinion about if it should happen or not. If I recall, the earlier A2's were better suited to bored bodies. With these and the E-series, the threads get so thin when you take another 2mm from the interior diameter (ID).

Me personally, I just tossed a Koala onion ring in my A2 and called it good. The two-level driver is excellent, I use it A2 daily.

zIT9fL.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
it isn't the body's ability to be bored, it's more that the driver is physically in the body, not the head.

Only a 16340 can fit in a stock body of these models. If the driver is removed, then you'd need to add one in the head. Honestly, if you want to do this, just start with an E-Series

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my memory serves me right, CPF modder Tana worked out a method for boring an A2 Aviator for 18mm cells, but it had to be the later, round-body version, not the 4-flats. Using 2x18350 cells would give you - what - about twice the runtime compared to 2x16340(?). Even if you could get 1x18650 in such a bored body, you would not get the same performance as 2x18350. I think that all of this is in a lengthy MOD discussion thread by Tana, which I don't have the link to. If I got any of this down incorrectly, please feel free to correct me.

I don't know if anyone else can bore an A2 Aviator to 18mm, but if they do, I would love to hear about it. Tana has a stellar reputation for the quality of his (gender assumption) work, and I mean no disrespect, but I'm in the U.S., and would simply prefer to use domestic mail.

Last edited:

jso902

Enlightened
If my memory serves me right, CPF modder Tana worked out a method for boring an A2 Aviator for 18mm cells, but it had to be the later, round-body version, not the 4-flats. Using 2x18350 cells would give you - what - about twice the runtime compared to 2x16340(?). Even if you could get 1x18650 in such a bored body, you would not get the same performance as 2x18350. I think that all of this is in a lengthy MOD discussion thread by Tana, which I don't have the link to. If I got any of this down incorrectly, please feel free to correct me.

I don't know if anyone else can bore an A2 Aviator to 18mm, but if they do, I would love to hear about it. Tana has a stellar reputation for the quality of his (gender assumption) work, and I mean no disrespect, but I'm in the U.S., and would simply prefer to use domestic mail.

this comment has a few errors.
18350x2 runs a higher voltage, but it doesn't mean x2 the run time.
You also can't compare 2x18350 to 1x18650 for performance. The different voltages will cater to either different LEDs or different drivers.