Need help with 30Q acting strange when charging

klrman

Newly Enlightened
After about 2 hrs of charging three 30Qs that I used in my ROT66, something odd is happening with the battery in bay one as you can see in the pic below. It is stalling at 3.95 volts but the mAh keeps rising and is out of sync with the other two batteries? It's displaying about 60% more mAh than the other two even though they were used as a group in a flashlight.

The other two batteries terminated at 4.1v, shortly after I took the pic below, which is what I set my mc3000 charger too, and have almost identical mAh readings. But the first cell in bay one is going screwy. I got these batteries from illumn last month and all was fine and I used them in my Q8.

Then yesterday I used them in my rot66. They went in the rot66 with identical voltage and were removed with identical voltage and had similar IR readings when I put them in the charger. I just unplugged the charger as it seems the first battery is failing. It's not overheating and had the same temp as the other batteries, so it's kind of odd. Any ideas? I switched that battery to the other three bays and all are giving the same V reading so that rules out bay-1 of the charger not reading it correctly.

30322992077_b3e4931f4e_c.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recheck bay #1 with a different cell. Run down one of the other two if you have no spares. If the bay is OK it's probably a dodgy cell, I'm sure Illumn will sort you out if it is. If you do prove it's the cell, I wouldn't use it.
P

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Good idea, thanks. Just put a new cell in and will see how it goes.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
250 mAh and Voltage did not change. I think you're right, bay#1 has failed on my SkyRC MC3000. I've only had this charger since Feb and used it about 15 times. It did show other signs of failing too as all of a sudden IR readings would go completely out of control for no reason at all. Going to be interesting how they handle this for warranty.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried the same 3 cells in bays 234? Just another way to differentiate if bay 1 is bad. I would also recommend using a DMM to check the voltages as soon as the voltage on the charger varies to determine if the 3.95 is accurate....

apagogeas

Enlightened
Almost certainly a faulty bay, it doesn't feed in any charge although it reports it does however the mAh value gets updated based on the current without actually delivering it to the battery. If it was a dud cell, like formed a short-circuit - it should get quite hot after all that current. All posts above covered this pretty well.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Tried everything and also used a DMM to verify. Bay-1 is done, it has failed. I purchased it from gearbest in feb and according to their warranty service, I need to pay for shipping and send it back to them for repair. Not looking good at the moment.

Nev

Banned
Did you pay with PayPal ? If so you can use the send it back on us feature , you pay the postage then show the a photo of the postage receipt & they will reimburse it within a couple of days.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Did you pay with PayPal ? If so you can use the send it back on us feature , you pay the postage then show the a photo of the postage receipt & they will reimburse it within a couple of days.

Never knew about that before thank you! Will look for that feature and see if it is available of canadian customers.